Pirate 4x4 banner

Jeep YJ wont start after installing fuel cell

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  rd94yj 
#1 ·
I recently installed an rci tank(2161)in my Jeep YJ. I cut the top of the cell to install the stock in-tank fuel pump, ran the fuel feed and return lines and double checked they were ran properly, then ran the wires for the fuel pump. Double checked the wires were properly ran right. Then ran the small tube for the vent and plumbed it. Finally my brother and I checked over it once more before we started filling the tank with fuel. After pouring some fuel in, I turned on the ignition and saw the gas gauge adjusted to a 1/4 tank. We turned over the motor and it wouldnt start, so we checked if fuel was getting to the fuel rail. NO FUEl at the rail. So we checked if everything was plumbed properly. Good. Next we disconnected the fuel feed line at the pump and turned it over and the pump sends fuel, so we figured the filter was clogged, so the filter was changed, and STILL not getting fuel to the fuel rail. The jeep w\ran perfect before we swapped the cell in. What could be the problem??? Any help? :mad3:

#2 ·
Just keep working your way down the line making sure you have fuel at every point. From the filter, next would be the flex line going from the hard line to the motor. Or just check the fuel rail again.

Are you letting the system prime itself? Or are you just immediately trying to start it?

#3 ·
i fought a similar issue once. It turned out to be a bad pump. It would run and pump, just not enough to do anything.

Also, If you power up the pump and let it run for a few moments w/o trying to start. You should see the excess fuel being returned out the return line. than you will know that things are at least flowing correctly.

#4 ·
Try turn the key to the "ON" position (without starting the engine) then back to "OFF", do this 5-6 times. Each time you turn the key to the "ON" position, the electric pump primes the fuel line. Since the fuel lines were empty, it takes a few "primes" to build back pressure all the way to the rails. When you turn the key to the "ON" position, you should be able to hear the pump whine for a second or two.

#6 ·
Thank you all for replying, im pretty sure my pump is bad, guess i let it sit out a few weeks longer than planned, i checked the fuel feed line and it isnt sending much fuel once the ignition is turned over, i have an extra pump from a friend ill hook up tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.