Pirate 4x4 banner

1942 Willys MB, Gen III Build.

538K views 581 replies 172 participants last post by  SVARAS 
#1 · (Edited)
1942 Willys MB, Gen IV Build.

Well, now that I have more things done, I´ll start this thread about my Flatfender build.
First off, I don´t know if it qualifies as a ”Hardcore project”, so moderators, feel free to move it to Non Hardcore if you fill that way.
The basic idea is to build an MB with a Gen III engine and 36” tires.
First big problem was to find an MB down here in Chile. It´s difficult to get a good CJ, you can imagine what could be to find a military Jeep.
After searching and searching for one, finally I gave up, and bought a CJ2A.
So the plan was to militarize the 2A. For that, I found a nice MB grille at ebay. Also military accesories were bought at ebay.
But well, as soon I started disambling the 2A, I realized it was a dead proyect. The body was so rusted that it would involve some heavy body work to get it back.
In the middle of a new search for another flatty, I received the call I was waiting…” Hey, I heard someone, somewhere has an MB….some parts are missed but at list it´s an MB body !”
In no time I decide to take my Waggy and the ATV trailer (yes !...only trailer I have close in that moment) and headed south of Santiago (Chile´s capital) to pick up the jeepe.
So here we are, with an MB tub that needs a lot of work, but hey who cares…is an MB.

Specs are:

1942 Willys MB…military look !
2002 LM7 (Vortec 5.3) with LS1 intake and LS6 cam.
TH350
Dana 300
Waggy Dana 44´s ARB´s F&R.
Iroks 36”
Allieds

The CJ2A that I bought….

Then the day I picked up the MB

The REAL OWNER of this Jeep...my son....

See less See more
#252 · (Edited)
Im going to build a frame similar to yours. I love how clean and simple it is! Do you have any regrets or anything else that you might do differently?
Yes, defenetly dont leave the front frame rails straight....invest a couple of more hours on the build and make the pass for the axle, like the shape of the stock frames. I´m having some issues beacause I do not want to lift it more, but as it is, I only have like 7-8" of up travel without the bump stops....with bs probably 4".

#257 ·
Update...

Today we start the installation of the windshield.
Finally I found a new original M38 unit, wich will fit better with the Bestop softop.
Also the Dutchman alloy axles showed up. On monday I will start dissambling the rear axle in order to center the diff.

Attachments

#262 · (Edited)
Thanks, is no joke that I built the Jeep for him....actually the title is under his name....4 years old and he already has a Jeep with a LSX engine...not bad...at that age MY father "only" gave me a CJ3B with the F head (no joke either) :flipoff2:

Here another video of my son driving my father´s 3A.....this was on May 2009 when he was 3 years old...

YouTube - Seba manejando Willys

#261 ·
haha! No bus man! Got a great deal on the seats so picked up 5 of em.

Plan to run two in the bed under the roll cage and might install the 5th one back there too..

Glad to hear they're comfortable!!

#263 ·
update.

Rear D44 is centered, using Dutchman axle shafts for a 86-91 Gran Wagoneer.
Now the driveshaft is in line with the T Case.
Windshield is ready, only thig left is wait the seal to arrive to mount the glass.
It has lights !...all the wiring was completed.

BEFORE

AFTER

#270 ·
I just made a model with a wire, went to the local rubber store, and found something similar with the right diameters.
However, at the end I was forced to modify the bottom neck of the radiator; it came in an angle and to far up on the tank. I welded it straight and the further down I could...that helped a lot with clearences.

#274 ·
Thanks, the good thing is that it also turned out beeing more fun to drive than my YF450 atv !

Still need to work on the supension though.....the rear hop issue is driving me crazy. Now I will try adding back the leaf of the springs that I took away.

#277 · (Edited)
Sorry for not repond before.
Overall width in front, 80".
Height I need to check.

BTW... a few pics from yesterday.
First time rock crawling with the MB.....no big rocks, but it was good to check it in this type of terrain. Very happy with the performance....however probably I will install a rock ram to help a bit with the steering.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.