Pirate 4x4 banner

1942 Willys MB, Gen III Build.

538K views 581 replies 172 participants last post by  SVARAS 
#1 · (Edited)
1942 Willys MB, Gen IV Build.

Well, now that I have more things done, I´ll start this thread about my Flatfender build.
First off, I don´t know if it qualifies as a ”Hardcore project”, so moderators, feel free to move it to Non Hardcore if you fill that way.
The basic idea is to build an MB with a Gen III engine and 36” tires.
First big problem was to find an MB down here in Chile. It´s difficult to get a good CJ, you can imagine what could be to find a military Jeep.
After searching and searching for one, finally I gave up, and bought a CJ2A.
So the plan was to militarize the 2A. For that, I found a nice MB grille at ebay. Also military accesories were bought at ebay.
But well, as soon I started disambling the 2A, I realized it was a dead proyect. The body was so rusted that it would involve some heavy body work to get it back.
In the middle of a new search for another flatty, I received the call I was waiting…” Hey, I heard someone, somewhere has an MB….some parts are missed but at list it´s an MB body !”
In no time I decide to take my Waggy and the ATV trailer (yes !...only trailer I have close in that moment) and headed south of Santiago (Chile´s capital) to pick up the jeepe.
So here we are, with an MB tub that needs a lot of work, but hey who cares…is an MB.

Specs are:

1942 Willys MB…military look !
2002 LM7 (Vortec 5.3) with LS1 intake and LS6 cam.
TH350
Dana 300
Waggy Dana 44´s ARB´s F&R.
Iroks 36”
Allieds

The CJ2A that I bought….

Then the day I picked up the MB

The REAL OWNER of this Jeep...my son....

See less See more
#289 ·
about 80 miles west from Santiago.....the place is called Ritoque.
Unfortunatly, my buddy´s camera decided to die after all the sand (it was very windy), but I´m pretty sure someone will come out with a few videos en the next days.

#291 ·
I don´t know where is the tallest dune of the world, but with the ones we have at the Atacama desert I have fun :D
This is at the base of Medanoso the tallest dune of Chile....at the right you can see my Wagoneer getting ready to hit it :smokin:

Attachments

#294 ·
Interesting pics are coming out.....today I received this one....Paddles are fun :grinpimp: (under that cloud of sand is the MB)

There´s a few videos that they will forward to me....

#296 · (Edited)
Its pretty simple.
You need to cut the ps pump/alt mount where is the blue line (pic #1).
Then bolt a relocator bracket for the idler puller, on the 3 bolts of the mount.
You can find the bracket (last pic) at ebay or several companies.

Attachments

#300 ·
Im just now getting around to working on my 43 gpw. My tub is pretty rough. When you were working on your tub, did you ever consider using a replacement tub. Once again thanks for the inspiration!
Yes, but after I made all the math, it was too expensive to import a tub......specially if you don´t care about body damage....like this :flipoff2::smokin:

Attachments

#303 · (Edited)
More progress.....hope to be done next week :smokin:
Regarding the lower links mounts...any problem on welding them at the center and not at the bottom of the tube ??
I dont want anything to hang to low for the rocks.
Ideas ? Comments ?

Attachments

#306 ·
ok....links are done and everything is presented....BUT...I will make a change...
I need to move the lower links outside of the frame. At this moment, they are under the frame and they touch it at full compression. One posibility was to lower the bump stops 2", but I prefer to go the difficult way...:D

Attachments

#308 ·
Update...
All links mounts are done.
Now working on the CO mounts.
Yes, there is a bar that goes from tower to tower (at the top).
It should be done by friday. :smokin:

Attachments

#309 ·
Just arriving from the Dakar...what a wonderful trip.
It was nice to follow the competitors thru the dunes.....even I race the Willys in some dirt roads to test the new rear suspension...uff..what a change !!!
I will post pics of the final result..

:smokin::smokin:

#312 · (Edited)
jajajaj....The pilot of that Hummer was (he is out of the competition now) Eliseo Salazar, a chilean ex F1 driver that drives off road like shit....At the woops he was very slow, as you can see it was easy to catch him with my Willys, and that Hummer has an amazing suspension !, then we hit the flats and probably we were making 60 mph...then he finally took off.

#313 ·
Looks great! I was watching the Dakar yesterday and thought I might see your
Willys.

I need to buy another house before I can start working on my willys again.

When you get time, could you take some pictures of the frame side mounts and your link size and lengths? Are frames and axles are pretty close to the same, and I would like to cheat and get as much info as I can.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.