Pirate 4x4 banner

Norwegian Rig

6K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  kjelldip 
#1 · (Edited)
Just dropping by to say hi and show my rig :flipoff2:

Running on 35's at the moment, but i want to mount 37's or 38's next year.. But havent found any gears for my axle's or my transfear yet..:confused:
The winch is not mounted on this picture, cause i was fixing it at the moment the picture was taken :)

And thats my daughter sitting on the hood:)

Best ragards from a Norwegian pirate :flipoff2:

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice Rig!! If that's the stock drivetrain with the Mitsu 9.5" rear end then you can get 4.90:1 R&P gears from a US Spec Montero Sport (98-01 IIRC). You can also get 3.15:1 xcase gears out of Australia. I've heard 5.29's exist too but have never found them for this set of R&P's. :(

#5 ·
Well if Norway got Mitsubishi Canter trucks he might be able to get the 5.29's for his 9.5 rear axle. The rumor is that's where they come from, the guy that supposedly has them installed in his truck doesn't speak english so nobody knows for sure :D

Order the aussie gears from Marks4WD, Cool truck BTW.

#6 ·
K.A : Thanks:D Im pretty proud of the truck.. I've used a lot of sparetime building it.. :)

Icepony: hmm thats strange.. I spoked to AT Norway, and they checked out iceland for ny gears to the axles, and the answer they got from Iceland was that the guys ho had modified their pajero/montero's had used toyota axles..

Maybe i have to send them an email :D

Off-Roader: yes its a stock drivetrain with elocker in the back..
I know www.power-trax.de deliver a tcase for montero/pajero, But i want new gears for the axles :garfield:

sneakyninja: yes we have som canters here in norway.. but what to i do with the front axle? isnt the canter only bwd?

Snowdriving in norway :p

#7 · (Edited)
The locker is not an e-locker actually. It is an air locker similar to an arb locker & is pneumatically actuated using a very low pressure air pump.

Also the gears I saw in that german site are only 2.85:1 while the gears from Marks in Australia are better at 3.15:1.

BTW are your fender flares stock or after market?

If it helps inspire you, here's a rig here in the US on 37's with 4.90:1 R&P and 3.15:1 xcase gears.

#8 ·
The fender flare is homemade by me :)
Yes i know that is an airpump controlling the locker.

I have tested 37's on my truck, and its good space for the wheels with full flex.. i just dont se the point mounting 37's with original gears.. it sucks driving in snow, and also in mud..

Mounted with 37x12,50-16

#9 ·
If I remember right the diesel rigs ran the small axles, that means a 9in rear and 7.25 front, they make 5.29s for the back. Then its just as well to run a real front axle with the 8in up front. and they make 5.29s for them as I recall also. But sneakyninja will know mroe then I

#10 · (Edited)
Really nice work on those fender flares! Do you body work for a living or are a sculptor or something? I've also been looking for an alternative to the stock flares because they will not allow 37's to fit unless you either hack them, replace them, or do without them. Also how much of a body lift (I'm assuming it is) did you put in?

As for your Ring & Pinion gear search you can get brand new Mitsu 4.90:1 R&P's for a 98-01 Montero Sport (one with the 3.5L engines) from any US dealership or 'lightly used' from any number of salvage yards in the US. If they offered them there you may be able to get the gears that way.

I've heard rumors from various mitsu forums that they did offer 5.29's for the larger 9.5" rear diff in our rigs but I haven't been able to confirm or much less find a source for them. Plus in the US we didn't get most of the other mitsu rigs.

You probably saw my own post showing my rig but in case you didn't here it is.

Again, great job with yours.

#12 ·
Hehe.. no im not a sculptor and im not work with bodywork as a living. In fact im a electrician, and just have 4x4 and bodyworking as a hobby and a its a big interess :) Took me about 100 hours from making the forms to ive painted them.. NEVER AGAIN!

Yes i have an 3 inch bodylift from Performance accessories and a 2 inch Trailmaster liftkit..

Here in norway we aint alowed to do a swap on the axles (SAS) so i aint doing that job..
Also the IFS is better driving on the snow with.

It is a trimmed 2.5tdic so i think is 4.88 stock.. i dont remeber at the moment.. i'll check it out later.

#15 ·
The TM liftkit i bought for about to years ago, included 4 new shocks(front/rear) and 2 new springs(rear).
In the kit i bought it wasnt new torsion bars included, and i havent bought it either.. But im planning to buy a set of TM torsionbars.

I have been using the car 50/50 offroad and onroad, and the shocks suprise me how good they are.. also the springs.. its much softer than ex OME, and it flex well..

I wonder if it exist a sett of stage 2 ifs bracket for my truck.. to lower the arms a inch or two... it wouldnt help me get more high to the ground, but maybe i could fit bigger wheels on it.. i want to put 38's on it, whitout cutting the fenders.. an its not an option doing a sas convertion :/ The cops would confiscate my plates whitiin hours..

Sorry for my rusty english :p

#16 ·
The TM liftkit i bought for about to years ago, included 4 new shocks(front/rear) and 2 new springs(rear).
In the kit i bought it wasnt new torsion bars included, and i havent bought it either.. But im planning to buy a set of TM torsionbars.

I have been using the car 50/50 offroad and onroad, and the shocks suprise me how good they are.. also the springs.. its much softer than ex OME, and it flex well..
Your English is very good actually. Besides, with the amount of Norwegian I speak (absolutely none) I am not in a position to complain. It's because of your good English that we can communicate. :)

Your setup is very nice. I've already cranked the front torsion bars on mine. For the rear my plan is to use 2" spacers originally made for a Toyota Sequoia since they fit the stock Mitsu coil springs.

As for the shocks. I'll stay with the original shocks. They're made by KYB but only sold through Mitsu and very expensive. When my original ones fail I'll probably replace them with regular non-adjustable KYB's or try to find a used set of the Mitsu shocks.

I wonder if it exist a sett of stage 2 ifs bracket for my truck.. to lower the arms a inch or two... it wouldnt help me get more high to the ground, but maybe i could fit bigger wheels on it.. i want to put 38's on it, whitout cutting the fenders..
Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps one exist in the South Pacific like in Thailand or Malaysia or some other country in that region that has relaxed vehicle laws.

an its not an option doing a sas convertion :/ The cops would confiscate my plates whitiin hours..
Sorry to hear about that. Fortunately things are a little more relaxed in the US, even here in California where vehicle regulations are relatively strict especially when it comes to anything related to emissions.

Ahh, I didn't realize yours was a turbo diesel. Is it already 4.90:1 r&p gears? I didnt know that. Perhaps there are Canter Owners groups there in Norway or other countries in Europe where you can more easily find out if they have 5.29's and the 8" front & 9.5" rear R&P's we have in our Montero's. Worth a look anyway.

So all that said, if you can find more information about 5.29 R&P gears then please share that here.

#17 · (Edited)
Some info about my 93' truck:

Exterior

• Homemade fenderflares
  • Homemade roofrack
  • Homemade "rocksliders"
  • T-Max 8500 winch
  • 3inch bodylift by Performance Acessories
  • 2inch suspensionlift by Trailmaster
  • Bixenon in headlights
  • Xenon in extralights in the front
  • EGR Bugshield
  • EGR Windshields
  • Mudflaps by Arctic Trucks
  • 10x15 -52 Arctic Trucks Prime rims
  • 35x12,5-15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
  • Onboard air
  • Strobelight by fernonorden.com
  • 2 1/2 inch Simmons exhaust with one custom silencer
  • Airfilter by KN
  • The whole drivetrain is overhaled summer 08
  • The whole engine is overhaled summer 08
  • New bushings mounted spring 09

Interior
  • All lights been replaced with LED
  • Garmin GPS/NAVI 276c
  • Danita 1240 cb radio
  • Pioneer cd/mp3 unit
  • Cube dvd unit
  • 8inch cube lcd screens x3
  • 12inch Pioneer woofers x2
  • Sony xplod monoblock 1600w amplifier
  • Sony xplod 4 channels 800w amplifier
  • All the speakers and tweeters are Sony and pioneer
  • Turbogauge from Autogauge( driving on 0.95 Bars

Extras
  • Midland 18-244 Antenna
  • Alan S9 antenna
  • Antennaswitch
  • T-max winchbag
  • Bungy rope ( it work nice pulling up stucked cars in the snow)

To do list
  • Making a bracket for an Hilift, next to the sparetire
  • 37" or 38's
  • New gears for the axles
  • ARB Airlocker in the front
  • New engine (2.8tdic or a 305 v8)

The list aint complete, but this is only the things i remember at the time:shaking:

#19 ·
Do you still have the molds for the flares? If shipping isn't too much of an obstacle (likely is I s'pose), you could recoup some $$ for your time. There are likely many who would buy a set.

What/how did you make them? Laid up glass on your molds?

#20 · (Edited)
No i don't have the molds anymore.. and you aint the only one who have asked me about that.. the flares is made of laid upp glass (if thats the name on english:p) maybe in the future i'll make new molds of the fenders, and make som new flares for extras in case i brake one in the tracks, and of course sell a set ore two :)

#21 ·
Don't honestly know how big Norway is in terms of driving from point A to B. You should hook up with a guy named Nitteberg. He has some incredibly restored Gen I J-tops that he wheels. Last I looked, he was also building a sick rock crawler from scratch. (Posted here in Pirate at one point.) Google the name and you'll find him quick.

Oh, BTW, nice rig yourself. We in the US love your guys' northern sbnow rigs. Especially those like me who love snow to begin with...

#25 ·
Yes i know him also :) Been a while since i spoked to him though..

But he broked his 3.5l petrol engine in the spring, and i dont think he has done a engine swap yet.. and i dont think his in a hurry to do it either.. his tired of 4x4..
But yes,Its a nice truck. :) andhe droved it 500000km ++ before the engine failed..
Mitsubishi delivers quality ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.