Pirate 4x4 banner

Anyone Up For Tomorrow? (snow 'wheeling)

10K views 66 replies 30 participants last post by  UGET IT 
#1 ·
Is anyone planning on running up through Georgetown tomorrow 4/3? Looks like there is going to be a break in the storm. Anyone interested? Wondering what the snow level is at - anyone know?

#39 ·
The Loon Lake ski area closure for over the snow travel "off FS roads" is in effect from Nov 1 to May 1. However, the FS closure does not affect FS 'roads", nor does it have any jurisdiction over County roads. The Ellis Creek intertie and all the paved road leading to it are county jurisdiction.

#40 ·
What Scott said.

FWIW, the snowshoe/ski season is about done, and the voluntary effort that used to exist (several years ago) was through May 1, so it would be over anyway.

The melt will be starting in earnest 3 or 4 days from now...probably a good idea for responsible wheelers to voluntarily stay away for a few weeks until most of the snow is gone.

#41 ·
snow gone when???

Resqme - what's your best estimate for trail melt to Buck this year with the crazy late snow season? I remember a couple similar seasons back in the 80's that had the springs unpassable from west shore through June. Even up through Loon was late May. Granted - vehicle evolotion & all, but what's your best guess given you've been up there so much of late?

#46 · (Edited)
You're right, Kevin, not since 2005 as I recall.

That being said, it's already leaving pretty quickly. I see places where a full foot + has melted off.

This is GK on April 29, 2005, about the same amount of snow as now:

Attachments

#47 ·
I really appreciate having the benefit of folks like Scott, John, and Kevin who have been running Rubicon Trail regularly for 20-plus years and have pics handy to reference...

I've only been running Rubicon since the late 90's, and I've never been good at taking pictures or remembering dates without access to digital memory. I've gleaned a lot on my own, but I *dig* that Rubicon has so much experience from folks who are willing to share! :smokin:

Thanks, you old farts! :p

Randii (always learning)

#55 ·
More from Rollie:
I like the one of Dave. It shows what the trail was really like.
'Tis the season to get cold, wet, and sideways...

Randii

#56 ·
HI from the mini snow monster up north!

Jon good wheeling with ya last year with Cruzila. I Like your cool new Snowcat playtoy! That flatbed Truck for your cat sure looks similar to mine. :) :). Say hi to Scott.
Toyrocs

#61 ·
Jon good wheeling with ya last year with Cruzila. I Like your cool new Snowcat playtoy! That flatbed Truck for your cat sure looks similar to mine. :) :). Say hi to Scott.
Toyrocs
Got the idea from you. Desmond, and I'm liking it a lot...works very well. I know your new job is playing hell with your wheeling schedule, but I hope to see you on the trail soon!

#57 ·
subscribed, We are planning a trip for June 10-12 I want to stay up on the trail conditions. Anyone know if loon Lk campground is open yet or when it will open? also, is there any camping still at Buck? It's been a couple years since i was up there and I am hearing about more restrictive rules as far as camping on the trail. Any info appreciated.

BS JX

#62 ·
The rest of the answer: Loon Lake campground (actually known as North Shore) isn't open yet. I spoke to the District Ranger about it a week ago and she said she believed it would open around June 1st if the snow levels are down enough...I believe they will be.

#58 ·
The trail may be dry-er at that time, but likely still pretty wet in spots.

Camping - you can camp wherever you like - parking is the issue. You can park along the trail, where there is room and up to one vehicle length off the trail.

Keep in mind that most folks will use the term 25 feet from center line "wherever that is". We don't know yet, but hopefully it will be defined soon.

Bebe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.