Pirate 4x4 banner

streetable?

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  skonkerd 
#1 ·
just curious has anyone made there f-toy streetable so it can drive to the trail?

#4 ·
There was someone here a while back that got his legally registered for the street.
I don't remember who, or what state.

#9 ·
Mine is registered/plated in MT as an 86 4Runner.
It is insured as an OHV/dune buggy with the same VIN.

I need the registration to ride on public land (MT State Forest and USFS) but don't need to be street legal. I also wanted to be registered before KOH so I didn't have to buy another out-of-state CA steeker.

It is not street legal--need wipers/turn signals/fenders/flaps, but I can easily get that done, and it's a relatively painless inspection. Since I've already got the plates, I could probably just add that stuff and avoid traffic stops--or get out of a stop if that happened.

#10 ·
if someone got fancy with some fiberglass of trailer fenders i dont see y they woulnd be streetable, plus fitting a windshield might be a bit of a pain... but how cool would it be to see an f-toy cruisin the freeway! seem pretty safe even at 65-70 depending on your welding skills cuz its got a dom cage!!

#11 ·
its been done. it was someone in norcal area that adapted his 4 runner body around the ftoy chassis...you have to turn signals that return to center and the other obvious stuff.

#13 · (Edited)
Going to take mine to AZ, propane is street legal there and to get plates is very easy, not like California with inspections and only 500 custom builds allowed a year.
EDIT> I don't have plans to drive in Cali with it, just want plates to run the trails out here that require plates, not green stickers. And also to drive to the trails in Havasu.

#14 ·
I actually have a couple uncles there that I could reg my rig to their house...do you have to actually take the rig out there like you do in CA, or can you just do it through the mail? I would love to do mine in AZ too... If I did that, but had no windshield or turn signals or fenders...wonder if I would just end up getting a ticket on a trail? what do you guys think...any input?

#19 · (Edited)
Out of state vehicles need to be inspected before they get registered here in AZ.

All the inspection is looking for is the VIN #'s ...... the dash one and the one on the door.... ***They will care less about lights and windsheilds***

If it looks like the dash Vin# has been altered (reattached) they will send you to a diffrent inspection and then assign you a new Vin#

If the door vin is missing its more paper work for them and they get grumpy

The out of state inspection has to be done at a state MVD office, no 3rd party offices.

Windsheilds are manditory here in Az, BUT, alot of officers will accept eye protection as "good enough"....

If its registered as a motorcycle then windsheilds are not manditory (just eye protection) ... thats how Rinhos and golf carts are/were registered here and how he confusion started....

The Phoenix and Tuscon areas are the only places to require smog inspections for 1967 and newer every 2 years

** I got this inspected and street registered here in Phoenix :D

#22 ·
I talked to a local inspector here in NC and I asked about getting my FToy inspected. I stressed that it wouldn't be much different than the VW powered rail buggies on the road, but it wouldn't have a windshield or wipers installed. He told me that as long as it had all the lights and horn that a motorcycle had (headlight, park lights, turn signals, brake lights, tag light, and horn) that it'd pass. Basically it gets a motorcycle inspection. He put it like this- if it's installed and doesn't work then it fails. BUT if it doesn't come equipped then he can't fail it for no or poor operation. He said it's like adding aftermarket fog lights to a car- not there, no problem. There and inop, fail.

#23 ·
i think we finally have found an advantage to living on the east coast. slackness may be in our favor on this one. you might also try the angle of registering the toy as a farm vehicle. tell the dmv you use it to round up cows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.