Pirate 4x4 banner

Scout 80/800 Full soft top

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Urban Wheeler 
#1 ·
I've been keeping an eye out for a top but it appears that they still haven't started making them again. STC is still saying it out of business and SSS's last update was UPDATE: 8-25-09.

I looking into the dimensions of a Jeepster Commando from Besttop and the measurements are close. I'll let the local upholstery modify it if is close.

I asked Besttop for some dimensions so if they get back to me I'll post them.

Anyone try this or one from an early Bronco?

Seen lots of people here at Pirate do a Bikini top just not a full one...:dustin:

#2 · (Edited)
Don't know if this will help ya... but....

Kayline used to build them, but they are closed down. I dont know who bought em out.

I found the hardware for a full soft top at a junkyard, but I'm not getting rid of it yet.:smokin:

Cant remember where i got this pic...

This is what the framing looks like on the one i have...

#4 ·
Dont mess around with tryng to modify something else. Go to a place that does boat tops. If you have any hardware all the better, but they can do it from scratch. Years ago I went to a few and they quoted me prices at or below what the soft tops were going for and they were going to use better cloth.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies...yea I am concerned around the widows.

Most of the year the it will be off but the top needs to come off without too much hastle.

Some of the new ones have hinged hardware...maybe get the new hardware off the blazer or the Jeepster and drop it and the Scout off at boat shop.

Anyone rumors about another top maker?

:jeep:

#6 ·
Here's my "plan":

Find a thrashed full top (busted glass, no door in back, etc).
Sawzall out where the side windows were, remove the back door if present.
Sawzall out the three areas in the top leaving the two bows in place.

Getting canvas panels made up to fit will be easy because they are simple squares. Snaps to hold everything in place. If I cut the right line in relation to the drip rail the fabric should be low enough that water will flow down the fabric onto the metal and away from the interior. Cut too high and the angle of the metal/fabric overlap will be too shallow allowing water/wind in, Cut too low and the fabric will be in the drip rail allowing wicking to occur.

#8 ·
I think if the lip of the cuts on top were folded back it would make it less likely to cut you in half and if you got some rubber trim (like that crappy stuff everybody put on their car doors) and edged around it would seal up against the fabric.

This way you get an easy to remove soft top with windows that seal properly when rolled up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.