Pirate 4x4 banner

what should I do with a 1970 blazer?

9K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  uswheeler 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 1970 blazer, it is not in great shape the front has been hit and the grill, hood and fenders (which were replaced by the p.o. and rust free) all need to be straightened or replaced. the floor needs patching and the cross sills need to be replaced.
It has a 307, TH350, NP205. I don't know if it is better to leave it stock, or take the parts I have from my other project (1993 2wd 3/4 ton) 454, 4L80E, NP205, D60, 14bff and get rid of the '93. I am not looking for a restoration, just a trail rig the I can put the kids in and drive down the road.

#4 ·
I agree 100% that the blazer is cooler, and I am going to fix it and use it, I am just undecided whether to leave it stock and build both trucks or just build the blazer and use the parts I have from the truck. is the 307 from the blazer worth anything?

#5 ·
307s are even more of a gutless bastard child than the 305... i mean if it runs then by all means mob it around but i wouldnt put any serious $$ into it with how easy it is to find a 350.

#10 ·
I vote the k5 too, though I may be partial.

In case you didnt know, the 454 is not a bolt in and go deal.
The 4wd 67-72 bodys were never offered with a bigblock. There are firewall clearance issues with valve covers, and distributor. I think there may be some issues with the crossmember as well.

All that being said, I have a 454 sitting in the garage for mine to go in this winter:grinpimp:

#11 ·
my votes for the k5, an easy efi swap since you have all the parts, a win win with power and not having to deal with a carb anymore.

#14 ·
I decided if I can get the blazer going the way it is I will leave it for now, but it is missing the plug wires, and the wiring is all screwed up. I picked up a battery and wires, but I could really use a wiring diagram to figure out what is supposed to be there and if I am missing any other parts (relays, fuses, etc.). I am not going to spend too much time or money before I switch to the 454 but if it runs I'll fix the body and run it then I can swap the other parts in steps instead of one big project. heres the plan - fix the body, swap in the one ton axles and 6" lift, then swap in the 454 and 4L80E, does this make sense? bigbadchev84's is inspiring, but I have got a long way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.