Pirate 4x4 banner

Full doors –unable to close properly- Help

16K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  muddyj 
#1 ·
Ok, I finally got full doors and hard top for my YJ. I installed the hardtop with some effort but the full doors are a night mare. The C-Clip(latch mechanism) on the door do not necessarily line up with the door cylinder/big nut like in the Jeep. Although the doors fit not so perfectly if forced to. I noticed that Clip is just too low to align correctly. How to mend this thing? Can I open the assembly that is holding the big nut and move it up/down? Is it possible? Apologize for the cryptic words, I cannot find any doc that talks about correct part num/name for these doors.

#2 ·
Adjust it with the door hinges. Loosen the bolts slightly, shut the door appropriately, and tighten. Easy.

#4 ·
First, adjust the door to the body of the jeep, by loosening the hinges, adjusting the door, and then tightening the hinges. You may also have to adjust the windshield angle to get everything just right.

Once the door is adjusted to the body(all the gaps look good, etc...), you can then loosen the striker bolt(cylinder/big nut, as you described it), and adjust it to the latch in the door. I don't remember the exact size, but you should be able to use a torx bit to loosen the striker. Once it's loose, you can move it around so that it lines up with the door. Note, don't take the striker all the way out, if you do, the nut may drop inside the mount, and you'll have a heck of a time getting the striker back on.

#6 ·
First, adjust the door to the body of the jeep, by loosening the hinges, adjusting the door, and then tightening the hinges. You may also have to adjust the windshield angle to get everything just right.
Sorry, some more Qs.
The door hings has 3 +3 screws, so that's what I need to adjust?

#7 ·
Sorry for the delay, I was unable to log in to the site from home last night.

Anyway, to adjust the windshield, there are two plates(one on each side of the dash) that attach the windshield frame to the dash. These plates have 3 bolts each, and you'll need to loosen them. Also, there are two more bolts located in the spreader bars(the ones that go from the main roll bar hoop, to the top corners of the windshield frame). You'll need to move the padding to access, and loosen these.

With everything loose, you will be able to adjust the angle of the windshield frame. Most soft top manufacturers reccomend a distance of 75-1/8" from the top edge of the windshield frame, to the rear of the tub. I have found this to be a good starting point, but you may have to make minor adjustments from that distance. Here's a link to the bestop instructions, page 3 shows exactly where to measure to set the windshield,
http://www.bestop.com/installation_guides/51599.pdf
NOTE: It is quite common for the windshield hinges to become siezed. It's a good idea to spray the hinges with some blaster, wd40, or other penetrant prior to making adnustments, to avoid bending the hinges.

For the doors, you want to loosen the 6 bolts on the door side of the hinges. These bolts go through the door skin, and into a backing plate on the inside of the door. with the bolts loose, you should have plenty of adjustment to line up the doors.
Then, once the doors are lined up with the body, you can adjust the striker to the latch.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks muddyj,
I have long ways to go on this one. Here is where I'm stuck at(as of last night):
Driver side: the panel line up correctly and they look correct. But the C clip does not line up with the striker whatsoever. So, I'm putting some more holes on to the striker panel to move it up down.
Passenger side: Off the 6 hinge bolts only two came off loose. One of them broke the torx bit ! I have to buy a new one. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do anything as two of the bolt heads are totally round now!!! geez...

#9 ·
I feel your pain on those torx bolts. LOL!! For a wile now, whenever I remove a torx bolt, I just replace it with a regular hex head bolt.
It can be tough to get some of those torx bolts out. On several ocasions, I've had to tack weld a nut to the head of the torx bolt, to be able to get them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.