Pirate 4x4 banner

Recreational Groups Take Next Step To Save Tellico

14K views 59 replies 23 participants last post by  NIB-98TJ 
#1 ·
RECREATIONAL GROUPS TAKE NEXT STEPS TO SAVE TELLICO

May 7, 2010

Organizations dedicated to active recreation management today announced their latest efforts to save access to the Upper Tellico OHV System. The Southern Four Wheel Drive Association, United Four Wheel Drive Association, and BlueRibbon Coalition filed a NOI, Notice of Intent to sue, with various federal agencies outlining possible claims under the Clean Water Act. The claims target the U.S. Forest Service decision dated October 14, 2009, to close the Tellico trails to motorized travel. The organizations filed administrative appeals from the decision, which were denied on January 15, 2010.

“The agency’s actions do not surprise us, but are cause for deep concern,” said Roger Theurer, President of the Southern Four Wheel Drive Association. “It is apparent the Forest Service has disavowed any interest in continuing historical, or any vehicle access to the System. We hope that our organizations have been equally clear that we will fight for reasonable and sustainable access. This is but one step in that continuing effort,” Theurer concluded.

The NOI is a jurisdictional prerequisite to a citizen’s suit under the Clean Water Act.

# # #

The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions responsible use of public and private lands, and encourages individual environmental stewardship. It represents over 10,000 individual members and 1,200 organization and business members, for a combined total of over 600,000 recreationists nationwide. 1-800-258-3742. www.sharetrails.org

United Four Wheel Drive Associations is an international organization comprised of four wheel drive enthusiasts, clubs, associations, and businesses dedicated to providing community services around the world, education in responsible land use and safe vehicle operation, and protection of our natural resources through conservation practices. 1-800-448-3932. www.ufwda.org

Southern Four Wheel Drive Association (SFWDA) was founded in 1987 to promote responsible land use and to keep public lands accessible for motorized recreation. For more information on the activities and accomplishments of Southern Four Wheel Drive Association, please visit www.sfwda.org or contact us at 1483 N. Mt. Juliet Road, PMB # 222, Mt. Juliet, TN 37122

See less See more
#44 ·
Ok, you got me. $17/day per person is retarded. I don't care what a park charges, everyone has to make a buck and I don't like to bitch about other people's overhead but charging the same for the passenger as you do for the rig is BS. I don't know of any park that does that. Some don't charge for passengers or if they do it's much cheaper than the per rig rate. I would think with a policy like that they would lose a lot of business but they probably don't care about the big 4wheelers anyways. I bet they make the lions share of their funds off the little 4 wheelers running all over that damn place.

#47 ·
yeah, needless to say i was pissed when we got to River Rock (milledgeville, ga) for their spring fling ... every where they advertised on forums, etc they said $45/rig for camping and wheeling all weekend ... so we show up and they have a sign at the gate that says $45/truck + $15 for PASSENGERS. What the heck? how does my butt being in that seat cost you an extra $15? and why didn't you tell people that ahead of time?

whatever, $60 for a weekend, no big deal ... but then add in that they don't have a map and not a single sign telling you trail ratings, etc...

at least windrock is a little more put together with their maps, facilities, and tons of trails... so you somewhat feel like its worth the $$

I guess we're just spoiled for the other events we do - our Southeast Takeover in tennessee that we (Georgia TTORA) put on is $85 this year ... that covers your camping (thurs-monday), 3 days of trail riding, (2) meal tickets, and driver's t-shirt PLUS all the event stuff we're giving out, and a pretty decent raffle.

#50 ·
I guess we're just spoiled for the other events we do - our Southeast Takeover in tennessee that we (Georgia TTORA) put on is $85 this year ... that covers your camping (thurs-monday), 3 days of trail riding, (2) meal tickets, and driver's t-shirt PLUS all the event stuff we're giving out, and a pretty decent raffle.
bingo

#48 ·
The only thing the Windrock map is good for is wiping my ass. I love River Rock. It clearly states on their website $15 for spectators. Also, $60 for a weekend isn't bad for an event like the Spring Fling. Last time I was there they had a band, vendors, etc.

This post has been deleted
#57 ·
Since SFWDA and BRC are not really doing anything and Tellico ORV is slipping away into History, I have moved into primarily from the 4 wheel to Two Wheel. We have had some success with this and I have even seen some of you guys that are transitioning to a cheaper form of recreation. As always I like to invite you guys to join us on the 2 nd annual Scream'n Beaver Rally right here at Crawfords Campground. This is basically a dual sport motorcycle event exploring the area between Ga, NC and TN. However, anyone with a street legal machine is welcome to come and enjoy the fun as I can give you some paved routes as well. Last year we did it as a poker run and it was a blast. These groups remind me of the good old days with you guys and the crunch and pop on the "Rock Garden". We even get to see a little use of it during these events as we always have a couple trials bikes waiting for the brave to give it a go.
The complete details are not posted just yet, but should be coming soon.
Check out this link:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651330

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.