Pirate 4x4 banner

dodge ram 3500 Transmission

5K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  mudn_1 
#1 ·
I got an 01 3500 dually and im on my third trans, I need one to last me. Any suggestions??

#6 ·
Putting in an Allison would be about the same process as in that Eaton 6 speed link. Don't know if it'd work with the stock column shifter, but adding an auto shifter to the floor wouldn't be any harder than adding a clutch and manual shifter. Allisons are also really cheap used since practically every school bus has come with one.

#8 ·
I built my own transmission, and it has lasted about 45k miles so far. My truck puts around 500-550hp and around 1100 lb/ft tq to the ground depending on the tune im using. I used stock clutches with 120k on them, alto red sintered iron front band, billet super single dtt tq converter, all billet pistons, and a tcs valve body.

#12 ·
Hmm, wow. Out of all the auto's. The 47re's are holding more power than the others. Please don't talk until you have built one yourself.

#16 ·
Is it a 2 wheel drive truck or 4 wheel drive, what transmission is in the truck now and what hp motor do you have in it??? Sanco has a cheaper better fix to the mid range than the $8000 auto tranys guys do imho. You can build a standard like should have been in the truck in the first place, the nv4500 is junk as well as the six speed manual, I have both, $2800 for a nv4500 rebuild if they can find enuff american made parts as they have dryed up and the china junk is not up to specs, the shop i use quit rebuilding them unless he can score all of the made in the usa parts to rebuild the nv4500 and you still end up with a tiny clutch as well, FL Freighliner FL60, 70 80 all have the 5.9 cummins with a Sae 2 bellhousing and 14 inch clutch with an adjustable master clutch slave cylinder readily available at all Freighliner and aftermarket big truck parts dealers, go to the san co site and see what he has done, a guy on pirate has installed a new gov rebuilt spicer 3053a od 5 speed into a jeep as well that could be installed into a 2001, ihave the parts to do a FL60 with 3053a 5 speed od into my 2001 but broke my leg and so just been collecting parts when the time comes, some of the autos cost 5 times more than the truck its going in, the manual 5 and 6 speed medium duty truck trannys and bells and flywheels can be had on the cheap if one has time and can google hd truck junkyards, most of the 5.9 trannys is 2 to 3 times higher than you can buy at a HD medium truck rebuilder anyways, look at the specs on FL freighliners fl 60 70 80's with the 5.9 cummins with 5 and 6 speed fullers with od and the set up they run

#25 ·
My 99 CTD with a auto had around 125000 on it when I sold the truck. The kid that bbought it works for a dealership. He asked when the transmission was rebuilt. I told him it is still stock. After I picked him up off the floor and he was breathing again, he asked how. I pointed to a after market cooler and told him thats how.

He knows what I tow and how I tow. I run a 16ft stock trailer with cow/bulls/horses. It can be flat ground or mountain road.

The truck was stock and did not have a lift and big tires. It was a tow pig and that is it. Load on, OD off. Changed fluid when needed and ran additives that helped.

Now I have my 05 with the 6 speed with 126000 on the factory cluch and running alittle extra power. It works alot harder than the old truck and never had a problem.

If you just slam the gass and go then things fall apart if you drive them like you own then then they last

#31 · (Edited)
so you are telling me that any Joe on the street can go to xyz store or website and purchase the EXACT same parts for high power transmission builds that are used by people like Goerend, NADP, ATS, Suncoast, DTT, etc.
Yes, do you really think that all those companies make their own clutches, seals, converter parts, etc?

Please provide details, as that is news to me if its true....

Thanks
Of course it's news to you, because that's what guys like the ones in this thread believe and perpetuate the rumors.

I'm not going to waste my time posting my trans parts sources (again), search for yourself. The information and parts are out there if you are motivated enough to find it. If not, buy a tranny that is put together for you already.

Now just so nobody takes things out of context, there are special modifications and parts that the tranny builders do and/or make themselves. If you have the know how, the parts are out there to make billet single and triple disc converters, billet shafts, and all the hard and soft parts you need to put a tranny together that is every bit as good as one that was touched by "the gods."

I'll be honest, it is pretty hard to beat the price and warranty of a Goerend converter. I have one in my truck and it has performed well over the years. Converters are the only part that should come from a reputable builder (although my buddies and I have done a few of them too). Everything else is easy to come by.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.