Pirate 4x4 banner

Howe vs PSC

28K views 146 replies 81 participants last post by  73FJBUGGY 
#1 ·
What have you guys found to work best and why? Any disadvantages to either? Does one have a better steering response? Better pump, orbital, or ram? I am about to purchase some steering for a ultra 4 car. I have ran PSC before but only in slow rock crawling

Thanks!

#2 ·
One company supports the sport heavily. The other does not. One company can actually answer your questions when you call. The other puts you on hold to go find the answer. And one has better prices. As far as performance? that's a toss up.

#3 ·
I have found all the above to be true. Howe prices them out of the picture for most. I have run both. I generally found I got a bunch of BS from Howe when I had an issue. Stuff like Oh, it is the type of hose your are using, it is the fluid, the cooler you have that is too restrictive, etc. Anything except their parts basically. Finally sent the pump in after spending money on all their other crap and was told it was bad. $300+ for a new one. So I ended up calling and bitching and Jeff Howe and he replaced it for free. When I got it back I sold it and switched to PSC. I have had issues with their TC pumps but they always make it right and have the BEST service around. I switched to new motor and N style pump and have been super happy with it. I deal with Kelvin, ask for him if you call. The other thing is that PSC never gives me any BS about line routing, fluid, etc. Not to say you cannot mess that stuff up, but I have sent them pics and they verified it was all fine and not my problem. Something Howe never did...

#4 ·
I sell and have a great relationship with one and there is a big reason. No better company to deal with IMO, Do so much for the sport, and always willing to help

As far as performance I have seen both in action and both seem to be great products.

#5 ·
I have both and run both. That being said. PSC hands down has better customer support. And better pricing. I also never seem to get a straight answer from Howe when I encounter problems. BUT I LIKE THE HOWE RAMS WITH GROVES FOR THE CLAMPS.

#9 ·
PSC- awsome customer support. I did have a bad ortibal, but bought the complete system from a friend. They had me send pics of the system installed to make sure I didnt have anything wrong. Everything was right and they had me send the orbital back to them, they send me a replacement the same day for no charge........ The orital I was using turned out to be one of 47 in a bad batch from like 3 years prior. Thats AWSOME customer service!!!!!! I will never look any further for my steering needs.

Carl

#11 ·
I respect PSC but we have used both and run what has the best and most consistent performance - Howe. The price may be higher (I haven't looked recently) but it is superior stuff that comes from decades of off-road experience. Howe builds stuff for trophy trucks, sand cars, rock crawlers, Dakar, etc. Nobody knows it better.

#15 ·
We sell both PSC an HOWE , I believe for trail riding I would not spend the money on a Howe setup , both companies make badass parts an components. Jeff (Howe) is easy to talk to and so is Tom an Lance (PSC). its really up to your wallet.

#19 ·
The grooved PSC rams aren't on their web site but they are available for purchase (by anyone). I have grooved rams with 4 clamps front and rear on my buggy.

Lance actually called the shop building my buggy just based on a picture in my build thread to tell us that the reservoir was routed wrong and that block fitttings were a no no and that the cooler had to be below the reservoir. He did this just to make sure we got off on the right foot running their steering. I was pretty blown away by that customer service experience and I've been happy since then getting my pumps tested by PSC and rebuilt as needed. The only thing that has killed a pump for me is running upside down for a period of time (it wasn't dead just whined after that) and I was running the Amsoil tractor fluid which just does not work with the PSC N pumps. neither was the pump's fault.

I don't have any experience with Howe but in my humble opinion if your reservoir has good routing to your pump and you don't have whining during normal operation you'll have a great experience with PSC. If the system isn't setup right it will kill pumps if they are "hopped" up units like we use.

My reservoir has an -10an female female coupler right on the bottom to the inlet of the pump just for reference. there is a picture of this config on PSC's web site.

#23 ·
That is good 2 hear. That is the only howe part I still run. And they leak from flexing the shaft under full lock. This is from 2 small of a shaft in the desighn. Might be time to switch.:).
MARK

#21 ·
There is a reason why you see more of one of them out there than the other. All of which have already been stated.

#24 ·
I've drank beer with both. Needless to say you get an idea of what type of person and what type of company a person has when they have a couple in them. I stand behind Tom Allen at PSC and they get my business everyday of the week.

#25 ·
I had a really bad experience with PSC P pumps. Have been running Howe TC pumps and have had no issues.

-Lucas

#26 · (Edited)
Well, I'd consider you very fortunate then. I've had 5 bad Howe TC pumps laying on the garage floor at the same time and as stated above, it was all my fault. Routed wrong, bad idler in the serpentine belt routing, and they had me jumping through my ass with all manner of bullshit testing. They even had me hook up a hose and time how long it took to pump the reservoir down into a clear plastic jug to measure the flow.

I finally yanked the quiet TC pump from my rig and swapped it into the rig I was working on and it was dead silent with NO OTHER changes to the system. This was after Chris told me that I didn't know how to bleed a system, didn't know how to route hoses, install reservoirs or basically anything to avoid admitting any fault on their part. :laughing: And that was after I had purchased and installed at least 10 systems from them.

After a week of that bullshit that I couldn't get paid for, I said screw it, went to PSC and could not be happier.

Lance, Tom, and Kelvin rule on customer service, listen to their customers and on the odd very rare occasion that I need something handled, it's taken care of instantly and with as little cost to me as is possible. No more Howel for me.

edit-lest we forget, at the very least with PSC you don't have to listen to someone badmouth the competition for 30 minutes before your problem gets handled.

#27 ·
Nothing ground breaking to add here, but when I originally started building my rig, PSC wasn't in the picture yet. I started with Howe and was astonished by the guy who answered the phone and how fucking arrogant he was. I bit the bullet and bought just the TC pump at the time, because I just couldnt afford the rest of their system. I was in college at the time and the build took forever. By the time I was finished with the truck, I bought the rest from PSC and was amazed by their customer service. I have only bought and recommended PSC from there on out.

I am glad to see I wasn't alone and maybe the guys at Howe should read through this thread. Seems pretty apparent that the quality of the product isn't lacking, just CS skills.

#30 ·
I run PSCand have had excellent I recently had some issues with an install at my shop and I called and talked to Kelvin, he had me straightened out in no time! The problem was with my plumbing job not the equipment.

My last trip out in my buggy I noticed the double ended ram was moving back and forth in the mounts, I retorqued the mounting bolts and so far it is looking good.

#31 ·
PSC is top notch and Jeff Howe knows his products well.

But psc and Howe are often catering to different crowds. For instance, psc doesn't sell a rack vs Howe who is so much about the dezert. Howe is so much about buying a $$$ kit for a specific application whereas psc has such an arsenal of parts to assemble specific solutions. Psc has affordable solutions but doesn't offer a trophy truck pump that delivers 13 gpm at 1600 psi.

#34 ·
Kelvin is the man at PSC - extremely helpful and always willing to work out a problem, no matter your skill level. I will purchase from them again without question - by far the easiest company I've ever worked with. AA is a close second :smokin:

#41 ·
I know what you are saying but also consider that we buy Howe parts just like any other dealer. A sticker on the truck gets me a discount on rebuilds.

I have a ton of respect for Howe and have never heard claims of customer service issues. I'm concerned that some folks are having them and I know that it is not what Howe stands for. To that end - I have passed along information from this thread. Hopefully you guys that feel frustrated will give them another shot someday. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.