Pirate 4x4 banner

TOTW #1: Pig Shave - Building a 14 bolt that doesn't sacrifice ground clearance.

44K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  sjracer 
#1 ·
Lets get a discussion going on shaving a 14 bolt for better ground clearance. All you guys who have done it let us see what you've got. If you've got questions lets hear them.

#28 ·
I have done 2 now,both I just cut the lip off and ground them SMOOTH.The one I am building now(2nd one) I did think about cutting and plateing.But just not sure if it is worth it.

#30 ·
I used a 7 1/4" wormdrive with a steel cutting carbide tipped blade.We use these at work.(sheetmetal/roofing).They work great.They are expensive though.I used it to cut the lip off with three cuts.Then used a 7" grinder to smooth it out.

#31 ·
I did mine with an abrasive wheel in my 7 1/4" circular saw and ground from there. I took 2 1/2" off and added a 1/2" plate back in. I had to shave the ring gear on a lathe with an angle grinder about 3/8" to clear the plate. I preheated, welded it with a high nickle rod, post heated, and wrapped it in insulation and let it cool. 6hr later it was still hot to the touch. It's not a daily driver but it seams to be holding up, no bearing failures yet:rolleyes: I have had some trouble getting the 1/2" plate to seal but mostly because I added two 1/4" bolts to the cover which doesn't leave much sealing surface.

I shaved my D60 the same way.

#37 · (Edited)
Here is my mess. 3/4" more ground clearnace than a stock dana 60

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.