Pirate 4x4 banner

WILLYS Cage Inspiration Thread

43K views 96 replies 35 participants last post by  shopteach 
#1 · (Edited)
Let's do an official cage building inspiration thread. It's one of those items that we all need no matter what our diffs/tires/engine combo may be.
I am getting ready to build my cage and have been looking at a lot of build threads for ideas. It would be easier if we had one thread for ideas. I do not care what the cage is made of (dom,hrew,pipe) this is not the spot for that disscussion. I am looking for design pictures that will help others build their cage. Also pics of the frame tie ins.

If you have pictures that you stole from some other post or if it is not you cage, I do not care just post the pics for build ideas.

Useful links that I have found:

link to bendin' tube 101

Link to the TJ Cage Inspiration Thread

tube size vs strength and other info

Roll Cage 101

Chop saw notching 101

chopsaw notching calculator

how I sleeved a splice

I found a tube contour gauge at speedway motors. Thought this might help someone else.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Pipemaster-P-T175-Contour-Gauge-for-1-3-4-Inch-OD-Tubing,9695.html

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I bought the dom for my cage today. They had 5- 18' sticks of 1.75 x .120 in stock @ $4.05 a foot. I will have to go down and pick it up sometime this week.

I like the cages that have a flat top with an a to c hoop vs side to side.

Is there any reason I should or should not put a side bend in the top of the hoop(the bend just in front of the b post) ? I like the idea of having the cage wider near my head vs running the top straight back from a to c.

link to the build with this cage

#17 ·
Oh wait this is yours!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.....hahahahahahahahahahahaha......hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

You have to be shitting me!!! WTF is that front hoop! haha yep you can use a bender to put a huge failure zone in your cage you don't have any corner gussets on anything! no center support in your front or rear roll hoop no diagonal support and I really really don't want to see how its connected to the floor!!! hahahaha

You sir are an idiot!!!!

#16 ·
Same to you if its so sketchy tell me what part of it is. You to idiots don't know shit other than how to spend money and criticize. I hate busting out this card but I'm pretty sure that there is only one of us that has an engineering degree with a background in structural steel and its not you two idiots!

You've been challenged if its scrap show me a week point and i'll show you where you are wrong!

#14 ·

Attachments

#18 ·
I say floor cause the way you had this thing built I doubt any of the morons standing around had the sense to tie it into the frame!!! hahahahaha Hey I've got an idea lets put em on general 4x4 discussion and see which cage people would rather be in when invloved in a roll!! hahaha

#19 ·
Ok, if you don't want to take my advice, fine, people actually care enough to see you not get hurt. I see you have to call me an idiot, because you're butthurt. It's tied into the frame, 6 point. Knowing that you're from Santa Fe you're probably a ************ anyway.
Happy trails :flipoff2:

#22 ·
You guys do not like each others cage build, and thats fine. I do not want this thread to be about guys name calling, pissing back and forth about their cages. If you do not like something about someones cage, it is ok to point out the weak point, but do not keep bitchin'.

#29 ·
I bought the plans and built my bender, and I bent my first tube last night. I have never used a bender before, but I have found a lot of good info on this sight that made it pretty easy (stressful, but easy). I thought the easiest way to lay everything out was on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, and follow the lay out instructions from tube bending 101 in the tech section. My digital angle finder made it very easy to make two identical hoops. The first hoop took a little longer to make, but I used a speed square to get my angles off the plywood. I wrote down all the angles from the first hoop and bent the second one exactly to the same degrees on the digital angle finder.

Lesson learned with the digital angle finder: always keep it in the same direction. do not take a reading from were the angle finder has been spun 180*, you will be reading the back side of the angle.

Homemade bender

lay out

fit test :smokin:

#31 ·
I am not for sure where you are talking about putting an angle. I am debating on putting an inward bend just behind the a post (close to brian1's cage) to account for the narrowing of the tub, at the dash.

#33 ·
I am getting ready to build my cage and have been looking at a lot of build threads for ideas. It would be easier if we had one thread for ideas. I do not care what the cage is made of (dom,hrew,pipe) this is not the spot for that disscussion. I am looking for design pictures that will help others build their cage. Also pics of the frame tie ins.
This was my first cage, built with a JD squared model 4 Bender, 1.625" DOM some .120" wall some .134" wall. Enjoy

Tie ins:

#36 ·
FWIW, I'd rather have a cage with welded corners and good triangulated gussets than a cage that is bent but without gussets. Think of it like domino's or a stud wall. With just a little effort it will tip right over, but with a bit of wind bracing its strong as hell and will hold up through about anything.

#40 ·
Here's my cage. I don't have a tubing bender so I got the bent tubes from these guys: http://extremecustomparts.com

Got some 2" and 1.75" tubing locally and built the rest. I TIG welded mine. There is a lot of talk about DOM vs. HREW, but if you have a shaity welds who gives a rip what material you use. Take your time...do it right the first time. If you, a friend or family member gets hurt cuz you cut corners it'd be hard to live with yourself! Oh...tie it to the frame too, if it is tied to a rusty ass body, doesn't do much good. A lot of people skip this step :shaking:

#42 · (Edited)
here's some of my current cage build---chris

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.