Pirate 4x4 banner

Unaimous Opposition to Marine Expansion

7K views 70 replies 41 participants last post by  ToadRacing 
#1 ·
On May 25, 2011, the OHMVR Commission voted unanimously to OPPOSE all expansion by the 29 Palms Marine Base.

Anyone wanting play by play comments on what happened at the OHMVR Commission meeting with the Marines, follow Helen Baker. It was amazing. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1063153087

A battle is won, but the war goes on.

#10 ·
Originally Posted by Kurtuleas
What did they say when they saw the stack of comments?

Were they impressed at all or anything??
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINE COMMITTEE
Can anyone here read? Fuck this, lets go to the bar.Oorah!!!

Fixed it for you!:D

#19 ·
I've changed my facebook profile so everybody and anybody can read, write, whatever, so I hope that works and I don't get major spammers. Of course, I think that you have to be on facebook. If this doesn't work for you I'll try to cut and paste the meeting notes.

#32 · (Edited)
Helen, THANKS for the updates and your amazing efforts. I can't wait for this whole mess to get over so you can go back to bashing Pistol Pete! :dustin:

That's a great idea so I did just that...sent to ohvinfo@parks.ca.gov

THANK YOU for taking the time to consider the 29 Palms Marine Base expansion into Johnson Valley and then, when you found it to be against everyone's better interests, you stood up and said so. That doesn't happen often enough these days and I wanted to send a note of thanks!
Regards,
Dustin Webster

#35 ·
Here you go guys. I did the best copy/paste job I could and reversed the order so it reads from start to finish.

Helen Baker's Facebook said:
At the OHMVRC Meeting at the Doubletree in Ontario
Wednesday at 10:18am

OHMVRC Update - the Marines have arrvied... meeting starts back up at 1 PM
Wednesday at 12:44pm

I gotta give the Commissioners credit, they are asking tough questions. The public will have their chance to speak in a little while.
Wednesday at 1:54pm

Chris Proudfoot has just started to "sell" the "public use" area. He invoked KOH, to suck us in. He's backpedaling by saying that "TO A HIGH DEGREE" the dual use area should be available 10 months of the year. Proudfoot actually just said, "I know that I'm dancing around." Ya think????????
Wednesday at 1:59pm

Per Proudfoot, Alternative 6 balances the needs of the Marine Corps, the users and the residents. NOT
Wednesday at 2:01pm · Like ·

Helen Baker This is being refuted by all speakers!

Per Proudfoot, they will read every comment.
Wednesday at 2:02pm

Marines plan is to have the information to the Secretary of the Navy by April, 2012 for a decision
Wednesday at 2:03pm

Commissioners want to hear what the public has to say before they make any decision. This is a change to procedure. Good for the commission!

So far, 100% of speakers oppose the taking of Johnson Valley
Wednesday at 2:24pm

Amy just spoke, very passionate, will they listen?
Wednesday at 2:26pm

Jim Woods of CORVA just called for the no action alternative
Wednesday at 2:28pm

Latest speaker says, Scrap the entire DEIS and go back and come up with some REASONABLE alternatives
Wednesday at 2:35pm

Managers of other OHV areas say they cannot support the number of users that will be displaced fromJohnson Valley
Wednesday at 2:36pm

Current speaker says, land is being taken away from us by the very same people that are going around the globe to save liberty for others. Our feedoms are being taken away, we are being ignored.
Wednesday at 2:40pm

Calls for Marines to either throw out the DEIS and start over or take no action. Speaking of no action. Does anyone remember the that the Marines showed the no action alternative at the public meetings? Didn't think so.
Wednesday at 2:48pm · Like ·

showed NO, we had to ask one of the "contractors" that was running the presentation then the not in best interests speel began
Wednesday at 8:33pm

Kurt Schneider
Did anyone challenge the need for 3 MEBs to train? There is a new force structure.
Wednesday at 2:53pm · Like ·

Helen Baker Yes, I believe so, also challenged aversion to train with other services

The public has finsihed speaking, now it's the Commissioners turn. I hope that I'm not disappointed.
Wednesday at 3:09pm

Was watching Capt. Manwiller during the public comment period..... Smirking doesn't look good in a Marine uniform..... Memo to Manwiller, we've just begun to fight!!!
Wednesday at 3:13pm

The comment period may end tomorrow, BUT, we will never stop commenting!!!!!!!
Wednesday at 3:16pm

Can you believe it????? The Marines needed Harry Baker to explain where the Hammers were? Oh puuuulllleeeaaasseee. Harry had to take the mike during Proudfoot's presentation and explain Johnson Valley landmarks.
Wednesday at 3:18pm

One Commissioner says taking this land away would have a huge impact on society. Ya think????
Wednesday at 3:23pm

Sorry guys, I don't see the Marines backing off or swerving from the course that they're on. We must be ever vigilent. They are focused, but so were the people who looked at the Heartwell Hills and saw the Hammers, when everyone else just saw piles of rocks.
Wednesday at 3:27pm

Commissioners are grilling them. Thank you Chairman Luder for giving the public a chance to talk first, and it seems, you listened to us.
Wednesday at 3:29pm

Now Manwiller is saying that everything that the Marines use is different from every other service so they can't train together. I guess that equates to, "Doesn't play well with others"
Wednesday at 3:34pm

You go Commissioner Franklin. He told Manwiller, "all the stuff you're telling us is your problem not ours"
Wednesday at 3:36pm

Kurt Schneider
Anyone request an extension on the public comment period?
Wednesday at 3:36pm · Like ·

Helen Baker Pretty much everyone!!!!
Wednesday at 3:37pm

The token green Commissioner is now speaking. He asked if it was fiscally prudent to continue with this plan with so many people saying that we are cutting our defence budget? Proudfoot answered, that's not up to us, we have a charter to do this. The Commissioner stated further, I understand your position in the hierarchy, and this is not your decision, but I beleive that this expansion would be a mistake.
Wednesday at 3:42pm

Next Commissioner said it sounds like you're planning to train for a war that we're no longer fighting.
Wednesday at 3:43pm

Commissioners say that Marines have not adequately looked at the economic issues. And, that the other alternatives were not adequately studied either
Wednesday at 3:47pm

Commissioner Perez said that personally she is opposed to the expansion. Thank you Diana. Commissioners rarely take strong stands like this at a meeting. You go Girl
Wednesday at 3:49pm

Commissioner Woodard said that he thinks that the Marines seem to be doing a pretty good job as it is, so he doesn't understand why they need to expand. I'm having a real hard time with any of the alternatives, except No Action, especially after being out there yesterday.
Wednesday at 3:52pm

Daphne Greene said that the Marines pride themselves on their accuracy, but they don't seem to be able to tell us what 2 months of the year JV would be open. Mr. Proudfoot can you explain that?
Wednesday at 3:57pm

You guys would love this, the Marines are under attack.
Wednesday at 3:58pm

So far, its unanimous, no one in the room, audience or Commissioners support the expansion
Wednesday at 3:59pm

From Daphne Greene. If as you say in your literature, you are only using 40% of the existing base why can't you be creative and use the existing base?
Wednesday at 4:01pm

Daphne Greene has Proudfoot on the run
Wednesday at 4:02pm

The OHMVR Commission voted unaimously to OPPOSE all expansion of the 29 Palms Marine Base. To say that the Marines were surprised by this outcome is an understatement.
Wednesday at 4:20pm · Like ·

Helen Baker The Commission's decision can directly be attributed to the folks on the tour yesterday & the folks who spoke today. You put a face on our recreation, our community and the economy. Good on ya all.
Wednesday at 4:23pm

#38 ·
AWESOME!
:smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin:

#39 ·
Thanks Dallas, I don't do the Face Book thing but Helen doing live updates was a great idea. It really reads well and lets a guy like me understand the emotion in the room. THANKS HELEN AND HARRY!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.