Pirate 4x4 banner

Suspension lift to run 35s

18K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  TURK 
#1 ·
Does anybody have any experience running 35s, without giving up drivability?
I'm running 33s with an OME 3" kit, it's pretty good, rubs under compression during turns,(needs body mount chop) but other than that, it's fine, just want to go to 35s.

#3 · (Edited)
Depends on what the true tire size is. What is advertised as a 35" tires is often smaller (for example KM2's run pretty close to a 34" tire, but are advertised as 35"). A true 35" tire will still rub even with a body mount chop. The back of the wheel well tends to be an area of interference at bump and lock. You'll have to do some pounding and chopping of the wheel wells to get full wheel travel at bump and lock with a 35" tire that runs true to size.

#4 ·
Yea, I get some wheel well rubbing with the BFG 33s. I know it'll take some hammer and saw work to get rid of that. If true 34s would work with a body mount chop and some hammer adjusting, that would save me a pretty good chunk of $. I guess I could try the tires and if they didn't work, I can always upgrade the suspension I don't really do much hardcore stuff, mostly getting into hunting areas thanks guys

#10 ·
^^^
That's what I'm in the middle of right now. Thanks for posting that gives me a better handle on what it's gonna look like. I'm putting Bushwacker flares on to try to avoid some of the rear end rubbing the stock ones.
I'm regearing to 488s I think this will get me close to stock gearing w/35s. I hate all the downshifting on every little hill or headwind.
One more ? I'm thinking that while I'm at it I may as well supercharge it. Anybody got any experience? Opinions ? Thanks guys.

#11 · (Edited)
Really depends more or less on what you plan on doing with it/how you'll use the FJ. Those who have a S/C on their FJs will attest that you tend to break more things (perhaps they just love the skinney pedal/boost) and with your CVs at steep angles with a 6" lift more torque when boosted might put you more at risk.

Again it comes back to what you plan on using your FJ for. None of the mods you mentioned other than tires are really needed to get into most hunting areas, so if thats your only objective spend the money on the mods you like.

#13 · (Edited)
I've had the Rough Country 6" lift on my FJ for almost 3 years now. The only complaint i've had is how stiff the back rides with the RC shocks. About 6 months ago I upgraded to Radflo coilovers, Radflo rear shocks, and also switched the UCA's to Camburg "ball joint" style, and WOW what a world of difference in ride. I would consider looking at the Radflo coilovers because they cost $300-$400 less then the Icons. I am very happy with this setup and have no regrets going with the RC6" lift!

#14 · (Edited)
The thing I always noticed when wheeling with RC lifted trucks was that the roll axis was way off front to rear, which caused some interesting body roll when compared to a stock FJ.

IMHO, the only reason for something bigger than a 3" lift and 33's on an FJ is looks. 35"+ is taxing on the driveline, and the A-trac barely works.

#15 ·
I put the Rough Country lift, and35" BFG mud terrains. The ride is firm, but not bad. I think it's better than the 3" OME I took off as far as on road ride. Haven't had it off road much yet. I just changed the diff break in oil, as far as the A Trac, I regeared it to 488's and put ARB air lockers in.
I will report back after wheeling it
Thanks for the help guys

Kenny

#18 ·
I had the OME and liked the ride. I wanted to be able to run 35s without rubbing issues, went with R/C 6". I've got maybe 8-10k miles on it. The Icons make for a more capable rig. Ibwent to 488s and like it, but mileage is down, as would be expected. All in all,ninlike the changes. Running B F Goodrich mud terrain and so far no breakage, or maintenance issues. It looks a lot like the maroon pic above with the Bushwacker flares. I had it linexed and like that also
Good upgrades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.