Pirate 4x4 banner

Trail Conditions 2011

111K views 541 replies 155 participants last post by  resqme 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm getting lots of questions, so I'm starting this thread to post current trail conditions. I'll try to update it fairly often and obviously anyone who has an update or a question is free to do so as well. I will update the original post, so you don't have to go hunting for trail conditions if you're in a hurry.

Currently, updated December 30th, 2011, the trail conditions are:

Loon trailhead: No snow in the last week, bowl is clear, icy conditions in places, day and night. Many areas of the trail have a snow layer.

Go prepared...in addition to cold weather gear carry a hundred feet of additional winching ability, be it a 100' spare winch cable, or a combination of straps and rated fasteners, or both. ALWAYS go with communications (ham or satellite), multiple rigs, and a backup plan. Let someone know where you are, your general route, and your anticipated return date.

Wentworth Springs trailhead: Same as Loon

Tahoe trailhead: Same as Loon, with a bit less snow.

Always carry a toilet...Wag Bag it!

There are currently no fire restrictions, but you MUST have a Forest Service permit to operate a propane stove or barbecue (charcoal or propane).

Hope this helps.

See less See more
#205 · (Edited)
The area just past Soupbowl to Winter Camp has snow. Please do not cut the fallen tree at Winter Camp!!! It has fallen across the side there and is a perfect trail guide.

The last is a big drift right at winter camp that is now melted from the trail. The right side is a 10 foot wall now. I think I remember a picture from the SSD thread there back in the 70's where they were shoveling snow there.

Attachments

#208 ·
What you can do that will work is to turn right on the little road as you get to the Chalet at Loon Lake. That is a large area where you can park tow rigs etc. You may not camp at any FS campground there if you do not occupy it. Meaning you have to be there to park/camp. Since you are going to be using the trail and spending the night, you just want to park and you can get in there right now if you were there.

The parking is free and as safe as it can be anywhere up there. Go for it!!

p.s. That lot is a gravel helipad so do not park on that, there is plenty of room there.

#209 ·
Cruzila, your pics helped us make our decision. We're heading to Moab instead. We really have no desire to drive 750 miles to go snow wheelin when we can do that right here in Washington/Oregon.

Maybe next year things will shape up differently and we'll be able to do both Fordyce and the Con like we wanted to...

Thanks again. You guys rock.

#211 ·
So you guys are saying swiming at buck might be out, or short lived?

I'll be there on Friday, I was thinking of running up to lookout out point and clearing some of that log jam/clearing trail. Can it be done with out heavy equipment?
I have a 12 inch bar and 24 inch bar on my saws. I'm a fan of the 12 inch bar as it fits better in my bronco but if you think the trees are too big it'd be worthless I'll pack larger.

#213 · (Edited)
Looks like its starting to become a trail again instead of a ski slope....

A couple friends and I will be out there Thursday mid day to hopefully Saturday... Camp at Ellis Creek if we can.....

With photos of course on return....

#220 ·
Couple winches and a couple bars will pull it apart. Then there's the 20 ft. Of snow in the pass. So if you bring a snow blower and a shovel to dress up the edges. Honestly I think I Might be able to monster truck right over the log jam. Whip a bagel and come right back.

#223 ·
From a friend of a friend of the Sierra Stompers re: their trip to the Springs from the Tahoe side:

"6 rigs, 8hrs, at least 30 combined winch pulls, truck load of beer = Miller lake + 1/3 mile. Oh, then we had to come out!! Way MORE winching than going in, and ended setting up camp @ 9:30pm.......in the quad staging area.....oh well, gotta do whatcha gotta do ;) If you are Facebook fans, you can do a search for Sierra Stompers, and hit the like button. Carl's pics are already up, I didn't take a single one, but Mel took over 500! Those will be on a different site, and I'll forward it as soon as I get them from her. She said this afternoon, so soon. Also note that there were'nt any bugs AND it was calm and warm. Yes......a perfect day was had."

I figure the Tahoe side is still a no go right now. If you don't have to, stay away for the 4th as well. I'll try and hike in and get some pictures early next week (Mon/Tue).

:jeep:

#255 · (Edited)
From a friend of a friend of the Sierra Stompers re: their trip to the Springs from the Tahoe side:

I figure the Tahoe side is still a no go right now. If you don't have to, stay away for the 4th as well. I'll try and hike in and get some pictures early next week (Mon/Tue).

:jeep:
Any pics or info on the Tahoe side to the springs may be going in that way log jam still? 10ft drifts? 6ft deep standing water at the springs? The springs are usually flooded what’s the word?????? Thanks trying to make a decision

#228 · (Edited)
just a heads up we drove by a guy getting a dui at about the open area before the y to wentworth. two leos on foot. their jeep was parked at gatekeeper. it was sat.
all it takes is a little common sense to avoid being "that guy"

#232 · (Edited)
JJUSA has a work crew flying in today. They have multiple tasks...bathrooms, kitchen, camp area, etc. One of their specific plans is to clean up main camp and the log jam, and they are sending in folks capble of doing it (treecutters and a UH-1 helicopter to try and sling the logs over).

#241 ·
Mute point on skidding logs. The forest is open to logging. I see truck loads most everyday on the way home from work. Not sure why that was even posted. I guess :stirthepot: Heading up this afternoon will post up the lack of snow shots:flipoff2:

#243 ·
If anyone makes it past the property line in the Springs heading towards Tahoe if you can take pics please, Miller Creek, S-turn on Cad, anything of interest I'm trying to get some info for a July 9th FOTR Field trip that is planned to come in from the Tahoe side, also pics / depth of snow on the Tahoe side, if you do not want to post them here please email them to me rusty@noceto.com

Thank you

Rusty

#245 · (Edited)
When the kiosk is mentioned, is that the building down at the spillway? Near the bathroom and wag bag receptacle?
If that is the building that is in question, then no not yet. But the SMUD guy that we pulled out of the snow near the camp grounds said that it will all be clear on monday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.