Pirate 4x4 banner

dual sport tire

5K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  dvd 
#1 ·
#3 ·

Attachments

#7 ·
D606's are very good on the highway. With them on a stock height KLR, I could drag the pegs. MT21's like to chunk the knobbies on the rear at highway speeds. D606's will to if run over 80MPH when new. After about a third of the tread is worn down they can be run up over 100MPH.

MT21

D606

Granted, I drive like an A-hole so you may never encounter these types of problems. The D606 is buy far the best street legal knobbie out there.

#11 ·
I've been doing the same research on some other forums deciding on a new tire, everything's pointing me to a D606 rear. I'm currently running Kenda Trackmaster II's, which work excellent off road but the rear is wearing quickly. I'd say I'm at 2/3 tread left, 500 or so miles on the tire. It will be pretty much worn out after 1200 miles.

I'm going to run a D606 rear and a Kenda Trackmaster II front for my next setup. I keep hearing that the 606 front sucks, and after looking at one I believe it. The knobs are too big and too close together.

#12 ·
i ran 606's last summer, switched to a non dot maxis rear for the winter/spring when i wasnt on the slab much, and just put these on this weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/IRC-GP-110-Dual-Sport-Rear/dp/B002OKCFOS

have about 100 miles on the so far, initial impressions:
1. QUIET 606's sounded like a bogger on pavement compared to these.
2. SMOOTH 606's would make my ass numb from the vibration after 30+ miles. (the wife enjoyed them more though)
3. traction on gravel seems ok. tis not a knobby but it pulls hard and doesnt seem to slip too much as long as you stay in the throttle.

Attachments

#15 ·
Mostly highway, some dirt; I recommend a Duro Median as long as you don't get in mud. They hook up in everything else, wet or dry. And they last a long time. I ran three sets on my KLR before I sold it. Multi-state trips to slow, technical single track, the Duro will get it done.

Now, I run a rear Dunlop 606 and a front Pirelli MT21 on my DRZ. I don't ride much highway at all on those tires, but they do ok. They'll break loose if you're not careful, unless you run them on a KLR which doesn't have enough power.

I DON'T like the front 606.

#17 ·
i have conti tkc-80s on my KLR and I like them a lot. they don't really squirm on the road unless you hit some grooved pavement. i have almost no chicken strip on my rear tire, i like to pretend its something faster, lol. these tires are also the king of the gravel road.

off road, nothing super hard core, but aired down a lil they rock in muddy dirt. i am on the wear bars at ~5k miles on the rear, the front could probably last another rear but it has some really odd cupping issues, which I had on the stock tires and avon gripsters after them. every other center knob looks like it is the same height as when new and then the one next to it is super worn down, you can feel it at low speeds.

i don't so much blame that on the knobbies as i blame it on the itty bitty forks the KLR has stock, they flex all over the place under hard riding, especially hard braking.

#19 ·
One more for the Dunlop D606's. I run them front and rear on my DRZ and their as good in the dirt as any other knobby, grip the pavement just fine, and wear pretty well.

I ride about 100-200mi a week about 80/20 (street/dirt) and I like them. I couldn't imagine using a using any of the non-knobby dual sport tires in the dirt.

#22 ·
I've got the K270's as well and like them for a good all around tire. I'm not an experienced rider by any means, and my only basis for comparison are the stock trailwings that came on my DRZ, so YMMV.

I've put about 600 miles on them so far, mostly dirt/gravel and they were very predictable. About 200 miles of mostly straight pavement has flattened the tread on the rear tire so they howl if you're riding in a straight line. Goes away the second you turn the slightest bit, but it's annoying on straight roads.

#23 · (Edited)
i ran the mefos and liked them but the mileage claims people are throwing out are absurd. people were saying 5-7k on a rear, i got about 1600 out of mine. i also ran the gp110s and those were ok too, but tend to suck on the lateral traction on dirt/gravel roads.

the tire I've settled on is the pirelli mt90 a/t. i ride a lot of street and dirt/gravel roads and i love these tires. they dig right down through gravel and bite really good. they are very smooth and grippy all the way to the edges on the pavement, no sweat keeping up with sportbikes when it gets real twisty. have been averaging about 2.5-3k out of the three I've been through so far

-scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.