Pirate 4x4 banner

Trazor Build Tracker

324K views 356 replies 89 participants last post by  Raiderblaz 
#1 · (Edited)
I could not justify the expense of a razor rzr S 900 for 17k plus tax and dealer fees. Probabley would have cost me about 22k by the time I was done making payments.

So I have been looking for a long time for a geo tracker. I really wanted a beat up one that was automatic. I want my friends and family to be able to hop in and just drive it. Most of them are going for about 3k to 6k. I found this one for $1600 bucks and ended up paying a grand for it.

94 Geo Tracker, 4wd, Automatic, soft top, Fuel injected 80hp with only 112k miles on it. It runs strong, no water in the oil. Old oil in it to. 4wd works. Left it running for an hour last night in the heat. Didn't over heat. Ran cool.

I don't really know shiat about these things.

Plans

Chop it completely up. Let me know if you want to purchase any parts.
Here is my Craigslist add.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2455456109.html

1. Cut off top. Save side panels for fill panels.
2. Full roll cage 1.75 DOM or 1.5. (Anybody have 1.5 JD2 dies?)
3. No lift
4. Boat side the crap out of the sides
5. Dove nose front
6. Dove nose back
7. 14" Walker evans coil overs in the back. Sitting in my garage freebies
8. I have a lot to study on the front IFS, leaving stock for now. I will gusset the A-arms and put some reinforcement on the struts with larger bump stops.
9. Weld up the rear axle for locker
10. Manual hubs for the front
11. 34 LTB's that I have sitting in my tire shed.
12. Paint it Toyota white to match the rest of the fleet.

Purpose

No rock crawling, Just fast fun on logging roads and around the cabin.

I am hoping to have this built for about $500 bucks total with purchase after selling off all the extra body parts and junk.

This will be kinda slow build. It will be hard to get time in the garage. Another project for my lady friend to roll her eyes at. I love this kind of build. I am super pumped to build this.

See less See more
#2 ·
you got the right vehicle for go fast stuff my first offroad toy was a 4 door sidekick. loved to fish tail around turns.

#4 ·
I could not justify the expense of a razor rzr S 900 for 17k plus tax and dealer fees. Probabley would have cost me about 22k by the time I was done making payments.

So I have been looking for a long time for a geo tracker. I really wanted a beat up one that was automatic. I want my friends and family to be able to hop in and just drive it. Most of them are going for about 3k to 6k. I found this one for $1600 bucks and ended up paying a grand for it.
I don't get why more people don't do this. For the cost of a UTV, you can build a whole lot of a Suzuki based rig, probably several of them

Sounds like you've got a good plan, looking forward to the updates :beer:

D

#10 · (Edited)
Minor disaster underneath. I finally got the little bastard up in the air with some large jack stands.

Looks like the cross support that holds the lower A-arms got peeled like a metal can. Looks like the tracker caught a pole or the sorts. Looks like I will be making some sort of a new cross brace. Pulled the tape measure out and measured some hard spots on the fram and A-arms on both sides. Seems to be square. I am not really a fan of welding upside down in tight places.

Could be doing the solid axle swap thing on this project this winter.

Damn. Should have taken a couple more minutes in my purchase. Oh well, it was cheap. You can see the carnage in the picture below. That is what is left of the skid plate. Right next to the strap.

#13 ·
I know that the side by sides are expensive, and cheap projects are cool. FYI I wouldn't expect to have the same performance or even compare a track/ kick to a RZR. I had a yamaha rhino that was really fun, but the RZR are expensive for a reason. They are a lot of performance. I sold my side by side because I had a long travel hayabusa rail that was insane in the dunes and I have a geo that I use for crawling. The rhino was good at all and not a master of any. I think you should compare your new toy to something it may compete with. Also you will find the limits of your strut front end as soon as you try to keep up with kid on his 50 cc quad. Enjoy but in the end you will wish you went the route you originally planned on.

#15 ·
IFS really rocks for high speed stuff. It has it's limits in stock form but man are they a cush ride compared to leaf springs.

I dunno about a SAS unless you are going coil over in the front.

Re-reading this....
No rock crawling, Just fast fun on logging roads and around the cabin.
keep the stock IFS for now,and upgrade it with aftermarket parts or OME struts. If you are wanting to bomb fire roads and such the IFS is the way to go.

Now rock crawling an SAS is going to perform better, but for speed off road a straight axle is rough, no matter how it is sprung.

#18 · (Edited)
Check out Real Performance Machines (RPM4x4) and Zukiworld (off to the side section). Mike Hagen is the Tracker genius. He's gone through and through with the IFS, wheels the heck out of them, comes up with ingenius design corrections, and loves to cut and slice 2 drs as well (web search RockStar). He basically cuts the frame at the firewall point, lower and moves it forward rear ds length and drops for lift effect. Welds all back up, relocates engine to near stock location, tubes front fenders, etc. There is even an upgrade for the cv axles with Toy axles (twice the size). Great guy and lots of info.

#19 ·
It is just a cheap, fun, little ride for my family and friends to bust around the place in. The rock crawl, dump shit is for the white rig in the back ground on 47's. :shaking:

Did not get shit done on it this weekend. Did 175 mile bicycle race. Im a retard...simple.

#23 ·
I really dig what you are doing dcastell. Dont get discouraged, around here you either get nothing or "go toyota axles". I had a rolled one of these with an auto I thought about trying to do this with. But needed the money and sold it all.

I wanna see it finished so keep posting here. just ignore the "you aint doin it right" comments.

#123 · (Edited)
I cryo'ed the tracker rears, they held up to the 35s before I switched over to Ford 9". Ran 33s and 35s on the tracker's rear for the last 3 years. Before I sold it to my friend, one of the axle finally had a twist. He replaced it with the spare he got from me. So far no breakage yet.

BTW sorry for the hijack. Build's looking good so far.

#27 ·
Some Cutting done. The back half is a little more tricky to cut off. I want to take my time and not cut any hidden wires. The main power for the rear runs through the floor board and I always wait till the last minutes to cut around the fuel tank. I think I might end up moving the fuel tank above the frame and behind the seats. Then I will make a storage area above the gas tank for a cooler and some tools. Stretch the rear about 4 inches and extend the rear links by about a foot. I want gain more travel out of the rear. This is really slow, but fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.