Pirate 4x4 banner

Trazor Build Tracker

324K views 356 replies 89 participants last post by  Raiderblaz 
#1 · (Edited)
I could not justify the expense of a razor rzr S 900 for 17k plus tax and dealer fees. Probabley would have cost me about 22k by the time I was done making payments.

So I have been looking for a long time for a geo tracker. I really wanted a beat up one that was automatic. I want my friends and family to be able to hop in and just drive it. Most of them are going for about 3k to 6k. I found this one for $1600 bucks and ended up paying a grand for it.

94 Geo Tracker, 4wd, Automatic, soft top, Fuel injected 80hp with only 112k miles on it. It runs strong, no water in the oil. Old oil in it to. 4wd works. Left it running for an hour last night in the heat. Didn't over heat. Ran cool.

I don't really know shiat about these things.

Plans

Chop it completely up. Let me know if you want to purchase any parts.
Here is my Craigslist add.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2455456109.html

1. Cut off top. Save side panels for fill panels.
2. Full roll cage 1.75 DOM or 1.5. (Anybody have 1.5 JD2 dies?)
3. No lift
4. Boat side the crap out of the sides
5. Dove nose front
6. Dove nose back
7. 14" Walker evans coil overs in the back. Sitting in my garage freebies
8. I have a lot to study on the front IFS, leaving stock for now. I will gusset the A-arms and put some reinforcement on the struts with larger bump stops.
9. Weld up the rear axle for locker
10. Manual hubs for the front
11. 34 LTB's that I have sitting in my tire shed.
12. Paint it Toyota white to match the rest of the fleet.

Purpose

No rock crawling, Just fast fun on logging roads and around the cabin.

I am hoping to have this built for about $500 bucks total with purchase after selling off all the extra body parts and junk.

This will be kinda slow build. It will be hard to get time in the garage. Another project for my lady friend to roll her eyes at. I love this kind of build. I am super pumped to build this.

See less See more
#29 ·
THere is a little rust in there, but those parts won't be back. It is hard getting time in the garage with the GF. No real updates other than I have been researching chop jobs on Trackers with little luck. Mostly staring at the truck as I go to work every morning.

#31 ·
It is an optical illusion. You can see on the hood where the guy missed with the pressure washer behind the hood supports and brackets. You can also see the steering fluid on the driver frame. The underside.....looks like god zillas gingavitus. (Sp) I will be using a ton of diesel to clean the under side.

Once I get my cage on there. I am going to use my winch and pull the tracker on its side. Power wash the under carrage.

#34 · (Edited)
More careful cutting. I never like cutting by the fuel system. I cut as close as I could and then I started to remove the four bolts around the fill cap, when I noticed the back side of the flange was rusted. You could smell the fumes coming through. Got lucky. Pulled the filler lines out and used a shit load of electrical tape to wrap the entire fuel cap and hose. Finished cutting the rest of the cab off.

Pics.

I am not familiar with Trackers, so what is that electrical line that runs down to the diff?

#35 ·
I am not familiar with Trackers, so what is that electrical line that runs down to the diff?
One of the VSS's. That little sensor reads a tone ring bolted to the ring gear. What it does with that info I am not sure. But when you put a tracker motor in a samurai you dont need it. Maybe something like abs? The VSS that the ECM needs the info from to make the engine run in closed loop is in the back of the speedometer cluster. If you need to get rid of it for some reason unplug it first and see what the rig does without it.

#37 ·
Couple of questions.

Looks like I will need to do some sort of a space lift in the front. Looked at low range today and found a pretty cheap solution. I am still going to keep trying the cut route. I cut the floor board and the inner fender, pried the floor up a little and then used the 10lb metal maker to fit the 34" LTBs. Not looking forward to welding that area up under there.

I can drive the tracker now in the garage and around the ally, but the trail will cause some rubbing.

1. I am going to extend the rear control arms about 4". I don't believe I need the slip yoke eliminator kit with a linked system in the rear. That is a question

2. Dumb Tuesday. Is there an auto tranny fill and dipstick on these things?

Here is a picture of the 34" LTBs with no lift and rough roll cage design phase.

#42 · (Edited)
There will be bunch of progress shots this coming week. It is about 110 degrees here and hotter in the garage. The sun sets on it. Cutting is the easy part. I am going to start welding and having all that gear on doesn't pasturize my creative skills.

I go on vacation this Wednesday while the GF is at work. No chores, no cuttle time, just fabbing and budlight for 15 days. Plus some fishing and some crawling at the Jambo fest.

#45 ·
That is so funny you chose that picture out of the million on the net... I printed that out last night and I was going to use it for ideas for my build... hahah There is something about it that is very neat.. like a bad-ass/hardcore Rhino... lol

#47 ·
thats actually his buddies similar build tomini me and was originally a tracker. not much stock left as its toys front and rear and not sure what else. The two of them are the kings at making a small rig work. Although minime now has 38's on it!

#48 ·
too funny.. reading a tracker build and then all of a sudden seein pics of my rig posted up.. i built the original " mini me " 82 sj410.. i ran it on 34's and zuk axles for years and it did well.. didnt break too much... it now sits on 38.5's with a toy front and a 9" rear ...i still run the 1.3L, 5 speed and a 6.5-1 zuk case.. my buddy built his mini using a 84 sj410 to start and then swapped the body onto a 90' sidekick frame he runs the same drivetrain but a 1.6L with a harley carb .. they both get BEAT on a regular basis and dont break much... ever.. there each about 2100 #'s heres some recent pics of the 2

#49 ·
Good to see both vehicles side by side. I am trying to figure out how I can keep mud and junk from hitting me in the back of the head. I have already figured out how to do the boat side and longer rear control arms. Just trying to make the base as simple as possible. Thanks for posting the pictures.

#52 ·
I have built the main sliders for the boatside, pulled the rear axle, and cleaned up the little things. Nothing really Eye popping to post about. I will post more when you can actually see the work getting done. Most Pirates can only read pictures. :flipoff2:

#53 ·
Alright. No building to update. Its been to hot and I went fishing, but here is the question.

I can get 85 toy truck axles front and rear for 200 bucks complete hub to hub. I know that some day I will go to a solid front axle when I break the IFS. Cheap parts at first doesn't necessarly mean cheap swap. I still have to do brackets and full hydro. I will never waste time building a leaf spring buggy again.

Buy the axles and store them till I break the IFS? Or just do the swap now. I would do 14" coils in the front. I am leaning towards....Do it now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.