Pirate 4x4 banner

AR sight recommendations

3K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  1010 
#1 ·
Looking for a red dot scope for my new AR build. Preferably one that does red and green. Any recommendations? I want something decent but obviously the cheaper the better.

#8 ·
Make sure you get the right one. I had a batch come in with red dot only and high mount ring, then the replacements were red/green with the low mount ring. :shaking:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-riflescope-sfrd.html

Thats what I run. ^

I can do them for $145 shipped, but I'm out of them right now.

#13 ·
I am kinda lukewarm on Vortex's quality. I don't think the sparc is worth $200. However, there's slim picking between the $30 Chinamart dot sights and the real deal (aimpoint, eotech). I do think the Ultradots are better quality sights than Vortex's offerings. Unfortunately, they've never catered to the tacticool crowd, so their sights are more pistol oriented. They work well on rifles. Just need a mount to get the up to 1.5" if doing the AR thing.

I say save up money a little longer and pick up one of the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle optics. They're ~$400.

#16 ·
I've been running the Vortex Strikefire since it was released, got one of the first batch as a matter of fact due to preordering. No complaints, it's been dependable and hasn't let me down. Vortex is a brick and mortar store and they stand behind thier product with a great warranty. They have their own industry forum over at barfcom where the Vortex folks will respond to questions in a quick fashion. I would not hesitate to recommend Vortex products to anyone.

That said, I'm now running an Aimpoint micro since I found a smokin deal on one and love it. It makes the Strikefire seem really bulky for what it is. Had I tried one of Vortex's Sparcs previously, I may not be as enamored with the Micro, but at the tiem I got the Strikefire it was Vortex's one and only red dot sight.

If you want a cheap red dot that you can count on, the Vortex line is one of the top choices. The other choice being Primary Arms who also stands behind their product 100% and has a huge following due to thier customer service.

#18 ·
#23 ·
Laugh if you want to but I ordered this on a whim for one of my ARs and I love it:

http://ncstar.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=304

Its under 100 dollars so I didn't feel bad taking a chance on it. The 1.25 base magnification acts kinda like a red dot minus the dot and you can dial up the 4x when needed. The built in quick release is nice and the bullet drop comp is very handy. It holds zero perfectly.

#29 · (Edited)
i still roll the old aimpoint comp m. i like them a lot and one of these days when i'm feeling rich, i may upgrade to the comp m4 purely for the increased battery life. i don't need nor want a magnified sight on an ar. if i want to hit a small target far away, i'm grabbing something else.

#32 ·
A guy I recently built a gun for had an Aimpoint pro to put on it. After I put it on and tested the gun I can with out a doubt say I was not impressed. The dot was really big and fuzzy, and when you turned up the brightness it bled out really really bad.

I would take my sparc any day over that particular aim point.

#35 ·
I'll let my Vortex Strikefire go for $100 plus the ride. Mount has been modified for quick release.

Picked up an Aimpoint Comp M2 the other day to replace it. Wasn't planning on it, just couldn't pass up the deal.

#43 ·
I was thinking about picking that mount up for my .22lr upper, but I just couldn't handle the rails on top of the rings; WTF are those for?

I ended up getting the Weaver SPR for the about the same price just cause it was made in USA...........turns out it has the quality of made in **********.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.