Pirate 4x4 banner

81 F250 351M/400 swapp to 460

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  mustange70 
#1 ·
I am looking at swapping my 460 from my 64 F100 into my 81 F250. Its a 4 speed 4x4 and I already know the Pan will need swapped to rear sump and I do have engine mounts as well as it will need new flywheel and clutch pack.

Has anyone else done this swap? Is there anything else I need to know? I am wondering about my power steering bracket and I do have a set of Sanderson headers on the 460 which may or may not fit. I have gotten a lot of responses on other boards but not from someone whom has acually done this.

Any information is welcome. I got the pickup dirt cheap, but it has one dead hole and my slick is being sold less goodies, so my 460 is cherry fresh and ready to go.

Thanks
Shawn
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s318/shawnstang67/Hot Rods/81 F250 Custom 4x4/

#2 ·
i have a 79 f150 that i put a 460 out of a lincoln car. I orderd up a set of hard motor mounts and i have a custom lift so i didnt have to worry about oil pan. My setup the headers will not work nor will the alternator im going to have to figure it all out. other than that its a pretty easy

#3 ·
I sold the truck and dont have any picture. But I had a 79 f150 with a 351m that I swapped a 460 into. I made up some homemade mounts use 390 motor mounts and a piece of flat steel. The 460 set in there like it came factory. I just cant remember where I had to drill the holes to make it work. I hope this helps.

#6 ·
is that slick a 4x4? to bad your down in co if it is, i would buy it.. i love 61-66 fords i got a 63 but its 2wd.. looking for a cheap donor to do a 4wd swap.. but not 100% sure if i wanna do that cause there is a 59f100 short flat bed for sale down the road that would make a sweet trail rig

#11 ·
Yes it is a 64 F100. I love the truck and put a small fortune into it, but it is not complete to be road worthy. It is on Craiglist for sale as it is or stripped down with no goodies in it. I hate to sell but I have no other options.
I am also selling my 67 Mustang on there as well. Had her since 1992.

I have new engine mounts for the engine swap, from a previous thought, but from what I am reading here, I may need to compare them to the later model F series mounts. I feel the only other items I may need is the flywheel and clutch pack.

Now If I could only find and retain the time to swap in a ZF5 when doing this. Cash is a huge issue right now so that's out of the question, but it may be a nice upgrade sooner or later.

thanks for all of the replies and information.

I am also assuming the 81-83 chassis is going to be the same as later model bullnose pickemups?

#7 ·
Finding motor mounts etc. is as easy as going to your local pick n pull as has already been said. No need to buy anything aftermarket for this swap, 460 trucks are super common.

The one thing you haven't told us is what year the 460 you're using is. Your 400 bellhousing has the right pattern, but if you're running a '79 and up external balanced 460 you aren't gonna have it work without the '83 and up hydraulic bellhousings or making a spacer plate for your existing 400 bell. The spacer isn't tough, but when I swapped in my 4 speed behind my 460 I wanted the hydraulic clutch, and trust me it wasn't cheap to find one.

If you have a '78 and down block, then use a 390 flywheel and don't worry about it.

#8 ·
this is a bolt in swap, the headers most likely won't work if they were built for the older truck, as the frames are narrower. Find the motor mount towers out )there are erivets to punch out though) of an 80+ up truck and a new set of mounts from and 80+ truck (just remember when getting parts through napap 460's didn't come in 4wd's till 83', and there are no differences in 4wd/2wd's in terms of motor mounts). The powersteering bracket should work, you may have to play with the hoses a bit (the 400 bracket will be different but could be made to work, as i've seen guys fab them to work with the two motors.)

#9 ·
Just because it's Mustange, I'll correct him a little on the 460 stuff... :flipoff2: There was no 460 at all in F-Trucks from 80-82, 83 is the first year it was back, as well as the first year it was ever offered from the factory with a stick or in a 4x4.
For engine mounts, you want the factory 83-1997 mounts and towers. They are superior to most of the aftermarket stuff out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.