Pirate 4x4 banner

Project: Squirrel '56 M38a1

79K views 188 replies 44 participants last post by  roufputt 
#1 · (Edited)
Project: Squirrel '52 M38a1

Sticking with my animal name builds.....here we go!:laughing:

I have been building the ultimate (to me) YJ (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963451&highlight=animal) for a while and really started to get tired of all fab and no play, so I searched craigslist and found this gem for $1200.

I named it squirrel mainly because its grey/small and cute.:flipoff2:

It will stay street legal but trailworthy as well.

She has a newer Buick V-6
SM420
Dana 18 t-case
Dana 25 front
Dana 44 rear (2 piece).
31" BFG's
The worst steering and brakes you could imagine! :eek:

My plans are to swap waggy offset 44's with all the goodies (hydro assist hi-steer, ARB/Detroit, 5:13's, chromo shafts, aftermarket knuckles, CTM joints, etc.) Rubicon Express SOA springs and some 35/37's and wheel the piss outta her.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Picked up a waggy 44 front housing a while ago and finally have a project to put it to use on.

Also picked up a pair of hard to find Rubicon Express SOA springs.

The after a quick stop to WFO concepts, I had most everything needed to "hook it up".

New TRE's
Ford shock towers
Front/Rear shock hangers with shackles
Hi-steer arms/arp studs
U-bolts/plates
Spring perches
A tie -rod
and a partrige in a pear tree......

Quickly sealed a deal on these Parts Mike (Reid racing) knuckles/outers from my buddy Sillyneck.

Got the 44 all cleaned up and a coat of paint for the night.....

Oh, i also ordered a full hydro assist kit with box,
pump, ram, cooler and other goodies from PSC.:D

#9 ·
My next issue is this.......

I am having a hard time finding an offset 44 for the rear and at the sametime I am worried that it will not hold up to the 37's.

So my options are:
Stick with the plan and find a 44 and build the piss out of it.
Have a 60 or 9" built offset and build the piss out of it.
Or
Ditch the model 18 and install my dana 300 and get a center 60 or 9".

What say you??

#14 ·
Nice build, as always!

An offset 9" with a Hi-9 center and the dropped D18 output will give you the shallowest rear driveshaft angle, and these jeeps are short. Major disadvantage is the cost of that third member, and (minor disadvantage IMO) not as deep gears in the 18 as you can get in the 300. A HP60 rear might be an option also, depends on what you can find.

I'm working along similar lines with a '55 at present, using a 44/9. LP 9 is a tough fit with centered/on-axis output, you'll either need to drop it some or go to very expensive rear driveshaft parts. Offset LP 9 or standard 60 with the D18 might be the cheapest option with mixing and matching of different axle shafts to get the offset and track width right.

#10 ·
I vote offset, both for wheeling & for 'classic' looks...
I'd guess 44 will hold up fine in a light rig with a v6, and might be easier than building offsets (finding/figuring stock shafts for your offset rear might be a hastle - if chromo then whatever...).

Guessing you don't want toys, but in case you might I saw this:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=982957

#11 ·
Your work is always something I look forward to!

How about the D300 route and a 33 or 35 spline 44? If you get one with some decent tube thickness and build it up. You'll still have good clearance and the rig is light weight so it should be fine.

#13 ·
Did a little bit of work yesterday.

New 37x14.5x15 toyo mt's and 15x10 steel wheels.

Assembled the front 44 with the RE soa springs and hardware, ready to go in.

Ripped out the dana 25, springs and all.

Then mounted on the new stuff.

Outboarded the springs.

Used ruffstuff's outboard plates....made it very simple to mount.

Its a little wider and taller than I prefer but I will run it like this for a while and see if I like it.

With the rear wheels mocked up.

#16 ·
Well, after looking at the stance, although it would be an incredible rock rig, it sits a bit too high and wide for a street driver/moderate trail rig.:(

I think I am going to try a set of RE 4.5 SUA springs and 35's on 15x8 wheels.

#18 ·
Just dropped the rear axle off to get 5:38's and Grizzley locker, the front gets the same treatment tomorrow.
Picked up a new brake booster/master cylinder as well as new clutch master/slave from Parts Mike yesterday, installing today.

I might be wheeling the Rubicon this weekend if all goes well.

#20 ·
I have ran my '59 CJ5 SOA on 37's for a while now. I run Fordyce, Barret, Con, etc. I run stock waggys in the rear & CJ7 rears up front. My wheelbase is 84" & WMS is 59". The only thing that I do not like about it is on steep stuff. With my off road trailer I am able to take my family of 4 camping for a week on the 'Con or Barret.

Drive line angle in the rear could be an issue for you if you go center dump. I built an HP60 to help out. Up front I run an HP44 I also built.

The downside is that running big axles SOA my stock frame is toast. This winter I am building a custom frame with coils & stretching it to match a CJ6

#21 · (Edited)
Mine is a 72 CJ5 and not all that hardcore, I have been running 35" Krawlers for a couple years now with no lift other than adding some 1" lift shackles. Just tube fenders and a bit of hammer work on the tub. Stock axles still even.

My stock frame is also hammered from running the bigger tires and due to be retired.

Hope that helps, can't wait to see how this one turns out.

#27 ·
Time to get rid of these worthless things.

And these horribly positioned things.

These pedals were way too high! My knee hit the steering wheel just trying to operate them.

And this is how im going to do it, using my stock YJ petal assembly.

After a few hours of work......
Dual diaphram brake booster and a corvette master cylinder with factory YJ clutch slave cylinder.

The pedals only ended up slightly higher because I had to cut/bend/weld them so they dont bottom out on the floor. But it better none the less.

#28 ·
I liked these ruffstuff outriggers so much, I picked up a second set to brace the front spring hangers.

Had grizzly lockers and 5:38's installed in both axles.
Big thanks to Trevor at WFO Concepts for getting these done for me before they left for the jamboree.

Steering parts came in from PSC!

I again used parts off my YJ and mounted the PS box mount on the frame.
I notched the front bumper to move the box as fas forward as possible.

All mounted up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.