Pirate 4x4 banner

Pistol packing and riding

7K views 36 replies 27 participants last post by  General Sherman 
#1 ·
I ride my bike to work, about 6 miles and ride home at midnight. I have to ride through some very sketchy areas in Dallas and was wondering how y'all carry a gun while riding. I was thinking of a triangular shaped pouch on the front "y" section near the headpost. Any other suggestions?

#5 ·
I'm usually wearing basketball shorts, or athletic shorts while riding so no holster will support the weight of a pistol while constantly bouncing around. However it is only a small 380, but I have a fear that it will fall out of my pocket. I found a small pouch that fits right where I want it just below the main bar behind the head tube, and for only $20. And don't give me crap about a 380 being to small, most thugs are killed with 380's and 22's then any other pistol caliber.

#4 ·
When I worked at the shipyards in San Diego Bay I rode my bike to and from work through an area with lots of drug/gang activity. Because this was a secure facility due to the fact we built naval ships firearms were a big no-no. I never had an issue except for police stoping me to check out what I was doing there in the middle of the night, which is alright with me considering the area.
When I go mountain biking, rock climbing,jeeping along the mexico border i sometime bring my little Sig Sauer 9mm with me in my camel back. It isn't that accessible but I really don't want to stand and fight. I'd rather run for hard cover and pop off a few rounds to detour them . That might sound pussy but I"d rather lose my jeep, bike, gear, wallet than risk a gunshot wound trying to defend them. If you get surounded by a bunch of hoodrats with bats and knives give up your wallet and your bike and run , it's not worth getting beat to death over.

#6 ·
keep on your person as there's too much chance of being seperated from the bike

there's a few decent sport concealment holster makers out there designed to be worn under the shirt, quick access holsters with some sweat/moisture protection in the designs. They're made for runners so biking shouldn't be that big of a stretch.

I haven't purchased one yet and still pack in the camel-back when I carry.

#15 ·
there's a few decent sport concealment holster makers out there designed to be worn under the shirt, quick access holsters with some sweat/moisture protection in the designs. They're made for runners so biking shouldn't be that big of a stretch.
Finally remembered the one I want to try. $35

www.pistolwear.com

#13 ·
I've got the Kel-tec and Ruger versions of the .380 auto... rediculous how small and light weight these things are getting... they fit in a dress shirt pocket. I wear a sling pack with a pocket on the front of the sling that would easily hold them (usually it's my mobile phone though :eek: I should carry more than I do probably)

#12 ·
I prefer to carry on my person as well. If it's on my direct person, the chance of separation is slim to none and the time it takes me to protect my self is virtually nothing. If you don't wear pants or shorts that will support a hip carry, I would just recommend a shoulder holster of any sort you find most comfortable.

This isn't my style, but I know a few people who claim this to be a great way to carry if you're not interested in the shoulder/ side holsters.

http://www.cabelas.com/holsters-bel...-F5D2-DF11-82EF-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

Pyro

#16 ·
i had a small triangle bag that i stitched to the bottom of my backpack and had a heavy duty velcro close on it. it was a desert camo bag and so was the triangle pouch. i used a lanyard from the pistol to the inside of the pouch incase something were to happend and it came open. or i could ditch the bike, run, hide, whatever, and not worry about losing it.

#23 ·
Belly band of some sort would work. Stash your gun on one side, spare mag/wallet/cellphone on the other. A few different manf. have them. Galco's is the belly band.

Another option is the 5.11 holster shirt under whatever shirt you are wearing. Recent review by DRM in OSR. Chister did a video review of his a while back.

Maxpedition and a few other manf. produce single strap backpacks designed to easily spin around your body to access a holster compartment.

Might ask this question in OSR as well.

#30 ·
I figured I would revisit this topic and share what I have tried, and now use. I've tried a few pouches that mount to the bike but didn't like the idea of getting separated from my bike and possibly gun. Put the gun in the back pocket of Camel Back but that required unsnapping and swinging the pack around, too time consuming. I tried the Belly Band and liked it, but didn't like the rash it caused me so that out but the idea is still used. I bought a new larger Camel Back for more water and storage, bought some strong nylon material and padding and a sewing machine ( I know :flipoff2:) Made me a lower belly band that sit mid stomach, attatched to Camel Back and secures in the front via Velcro, on the right side (I'm right handed) is the pouch with gun, left side 2 more mags. This new band also helped fully secure the CB from any flopping around when full of water. Also added a 8 inch fixed blade combat knife and a Streamlight flash light for night encounters. I ride through the same hood I work to get home, avoiding the highways and using the most technical and fun route. I now feel pretty safe knowing I can get to my gun with right hand and knife with left hand. Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.