Pirate 4x4 banner

Older tire question

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  nate379 
#1 ·
Like an idiot I bought some tires without checking the date on them. Turns out they were made in 99. They were stored inside the last ten years but are pretty old. I wanted to use them on my chase truck for baja but now am reconsidering. So am I being a pussy? Should I just run em or sell them to someone for use on a trail rig.

-John

#2 ·
Run them. The Government stores tires for 10 years. When they pull them out they are fresh. Take your palm. Put all your weight on the sidewall and look for any cracking. I know a guy that wheeled tsl's that were VERY old with great luck.

#3 ·
old tires can be better..........

Lance Armstrong uses tires that are stored for years in order to allow the oils to escape the carcass for better grip. and the guys at Schwab say that tires don't expire. I've had very VERY old tires mounted and remounted with much success.

#4 ·
Lance Armstrong uses tires that are stored for years in order to allow the oils to escape the carcass for better grip. and the guys at Schwab say that tires don't expire. I've had very VERY old tires mounted and remounted with much success.
Really? Call one, tell them that you have ten-year-old tires that you bought from them that have gone bad, and ask for warranty assistance.

report your results.

To the best of my knowledge, NO manufacturer will warranty a tire over six years old, unless you have a receipt that shows you bought them less than six years ago.

From a Bridgestone/Firestone Technical Bulletin;

Tire Inspection Guidelines
Bridgestone Firestone North American Tire, LLC –NA Consumer Tire Sales GroupBridgestone Technical Hotline 1-800-847-3272 Firestone Technical Hotline 1-800-356-4644JATMA (Japan Automotive Tyre Manufacturers Association) has announced a new recommendation for passenger and light truck tires that havebeen in use for more than five (5) years.

They recommend that, in addition to regular tire inspections, customers have their tires inspected by a qualifiedtire service person after five (5) years of use to determine if the tires can continue in service. It is recommended that spare tires be inspected at the same time.

Further, even when tires appear to be usable from their external appearance or the tread depth may have not reached the minimum wear out depth, it is recommended that all tires (including spare tires) that were manufactured more than ten (10) years previous be replaced with new tires.

Bridgestone Firestone North American Tire, LLC

#5 ·
I have ran 30 year old tires, they wouldn't bother me...

#8 ·
o.k.

it's not unheard of to throw a tread on an old tire, also it's not unheard of to throw a tread on a brand new tire. FIRESTONE! be careful and drive safe, and if a cop reads yer tires they may or may not choose to decide to think they know better and send your rig to the impound, even if there's no law that says anything about such things. it'll be up to you in court, been there! and it still cost me impound fees when the judge said not guilty! good luck bro, be safe and have fun!

#16 · (Edited)
I noticed a few days ago one of the TSLs on the Jeep was starting to crack a bit on the sidewall. Manufacture date... 1991. They were brand new when I bought them in 6 or 7 years ago, guess they sat in a warehouse for a while.

My Dad has a trailer that has Goodyear Polyglas tires, the ones that had a thin red strip kinda like a white wall. They haven't made those tires in ~30 years.... and somehow with my trailer the ~5 year old tires are already shot. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.