Pirate 4x4 banner

Super 14 - the official thread

16K views 62 replies 26 participants last post by  fourplyn 
#1 ·
The Super 14 is back on the market!

As many of you have heard or seen, the Super 14 is back and back in a big way, Torq Axle, the company behind the manufacturing and re-release of the Super 14 has units on the shelf, you can order one and actually get one this time.

They are offering the Super 14 in many different variations to fit your build needs and progress.

The Builder Kit: comes with a Super 14 3rd member, pinion support, Torq axle housing, adj. nuts, shims & ARB tab. Price: $2,645.00

The Fabricator Kit: comes with the 3rd member and all the hardware parts needed, but instead of a housing, this kit comes with a 1/4" housing faceplate template. This kit is for the fabricator who wants to build their own housing. $1,985.00

Yes, you read that right, if you think you are the ace fabricator and want to try your hand at building your own housing, this is the kit for you. If you wanted to go ultra lightweight you could even use the 1/4" faceplate template as the faceplate for your custom housing. Torq recommends a 3/8" faceplate for an axle designed to take this much load.

Of course what about buying just a 3rd member? Torq Axle has you covered there too.

Super 14 3rd member: comes with a Super 14 3rd member, pinion support, adj. nuts, shims & ARB tab. Price: $1,950.00

You guys all know I follow the new axle trends very closely and always try to help push companies to develop cool new products and when I heard the rumor that the Super 14 tooling had been picked up by a newly formed company, I started doing a little checking on them and even paid them a visit in SLC a couple months ago to see exactly what they had going on.

When I visited them they had bare castings on the shelf and a couple housings built, but not finalized, over the last couple months they got the machine shop up to speed and are now on their second run of 3rds and housings.

In talking with the guys at Torq, their big push is make sure the product is on the shelf and rolling out the door as fast as possible. My first Super-14 left yesterday via UPS Ground and is supposed to here tomorrow. I'll update this post with pics when it gets here.... :cool2:

The other thing that I though was pretty cool was their openness on housings; there isn't one favored housing builder you have to buy a housing from. You can buy their housing, you can buy a housing from Roughstuff or you can even buy the fabricator kit and get a faceplate template so you can build your own housing.

Super 14 Features and Benefits:

● Made in the USA
● Third Member cast using permanent mold tooling
● A-356 Aluminum with T6 heat treatment
● Bearing Caps are cut from 6061 T6 billet Aluminum
● Pinion Support is cut from 6061 T6 billet Aluminum
● Pinion Support is available in Raw Machined Aluminum or Bright Anodized in Torq Orange
● Uses standard Corporate 14-bolt carrier and bearings
● Gear ratios range from 3.21 to 5.38
● 14 bolt pinion features 1.75” shaft
● 14 bolt pinion has 3 bearings
● Drop-out Advantage
● Streamline Housing Design
● Uniform bolt pattern to allow for rear engine installation
● Corporate 14 bolt components – less expensive
● Lighter than corporate 14 bolt axle

The bare Super-14 and pinion support weigh 35lbs - Not a great pic, but the scale read-out shows 35lbs.

Massive 4 bolt main bearing caps made from 6061-T6 aluminum:

Load bolt option - Does not come stock, but the boss is there and it can be machined as an option if needed.

SO let's just say you want one of these bad boys and you want it right away.... jump on the web, go to www.torqaxle.com and order one up.

BUT before you close out the order, make sure you add in this special discount code: Pirate 4x4.

That's right, add Pirate 4x4 into the discount code box and Torq will give you an extra 5% off your order! :beer:

You can also buy them from me and you'll get the same PBB 5% discount. I don't have a discount code section you can type into on my web site so you'll need to give me a ring. But that's a good thing, we can then talk about all the other things to help build your Super-14 into a real kick-ass axle:

40 Spline Air Lockers or spools
40 spline spindles & hubs
4340 or 300m axle shafts
Front axle build
Rear axle build

See less See more
#2 ·
glad to see your apart of this Tim interested in a set
Joey

#4 ·
This would be a bad-ass match in the rear for your JRat 60 front!

Plus I am pretty dang sure that these are Joey proof! :laughing:

Super Cool,now to figure out how to afford one? Maybe, Santa Claus?:D

These are definitely on the upper end, but nothing can compare to the strength of the 14 bolt, especially when the new PRO gears start showing up.

Yup, samples of some PRO gears are coming soon for testing, these are built by a well known gear mfg. and the alloy used is better than the 9310 that the typical "PRO" gears are made from. The new gears are shot peened at the tooth root and REM coating will be available.

#9 ·
My first Super-14 left yesterday via UPS Ground and is supposed to here tomorrow. I'll update this post with pics when it gets here.... :cool2:
This. :smokin:

Can't wait to see it!!! I've been hearing about this for a while now, it's nice to be able to actually get a chance to see one... will go good with my Torq Development T-Shirt :D

I love the idea of being able to build your own housing, with the creativity of the builders these days it will be interesting to see if anyone pushes the envelope of what a housing is...:stirthepot:

#10 ·
:bounce2::bounce::bounce2::bounce:

The man in the brown shorts dropped off a two packages a couple hours ago. Been stuck under a customer's truck so haven't had a chance to look at them yet....... way too excited, but got to stay focused..... will post up pics a little later.

#14 · (Edited)
At this time Torq just wants to get the Super 14 back on the market. Once they are up and running and they have a few more projects done maybe we can get them to look into it.

Heck, just them working with a manufacturer to offer some PRO gears is a huge step in the right direction.

Can the face plate be offered in 3/8?

At this time they are just doing the 1/4" templates, once they get everything going we could probably talk them into it. Levi and Jim over at Torq have been very open to suggestions.

Any other housing mfg options ?

Right now only Torq and Roughstuff, but Torq is open to help any axle housing manufacturer as long as they are established. No special handshakes or screwy warranties, if you build housings, Torq is open to your company building housing for the Super 14.

Of course that doesn't mean they'd warranty one of their units if used in a crappy, distorted housing sight unseen, it just means they won't automatically discount your warranty just because it isn't their housing..

#12 ·
Can the face plate be offered in 3/8?

#15 ·
OK, time for more pics..... My Super-14 showed up yesterday, unfortunately I am waaay too buried in the shop and couldn't post up the pics immediately, but as promised, here are some pics for your viewing pleasure..... :D

Super-14 Front View:

Super-14 Rear View: Note the massive bearing caps.

Super-14 Bottom View: Again, note those massive bearing caps... :cool2:

Super-14 Jack Bolts:
Now here is something that got me all warm and tingly.... jack bolts! No banging or jacking on a 3rd member to get the silicone seal broken. Run the two jack screws in until the seal is broken and the 3rd will slip right out. Every single 3rd member mfg. should be doing these!

Super-14 Drain plug/ARB fitting holes: Take a look on the right and left side, they have drain ports to help drain the oil out when pulling your axle down. Top and bottom, so doesn't matter if you run the diff upside down or standard, you have a drain plug on the bottom and then the port up top can be used for your ARB Air Locker (you know that custom 40 spline unit that we build! :D)

Super-14 weight: We grabbed the Super-14 3rd, the pin support, adj nuts, mounting bolts etc and weighed them on the postage scale.... 34lbs. Just weighed an empty OE steel 9" 3rd with alum. pin support for comparison: 30lbs.

Torq Housing weight: Stuffed the Torq housing on the mailing scale and came up with 74lbs.

Sooo add the 3rd and housing together and you are at 108lbs. before installing ring & pinion, differential, bearing kit and what ever ends you'll be using. It isn't a lightweight, but it should be a heck of a lot lighter than an OE 14 bolt housing, plus you have a fabricated housing to weld to!

A factory 14 housing weighs over 100lbs, just don't know how much for a fact, my mailing scale just goes XXXXX at anything over 100lbs. I'll see if I can find a bigger scale to weigh one with.

The housing itself is supplied 65"s wide, so by the time you stuff ends on, it should fit all but super-wide rear applications. It should also be wide enough for many front builds too, depending on knuckles used and overall width desired. Torq and Roughtstuff could both do an offset housing if you needed more than this.

#17 ·
Super-14 ground clearance: By my tape measure, the Torq housing is a hair over 12" from top to bottom. So a bit over 6" from the axle centerline to the bottom.

Now of course this is with the pinion at 90* and we all know that we'll need to rotate the pin up a bit for driveshaft angles. So how does that equate to the available ground clearance due to rotating the housing?

With the housing on jackstands with the center of the axle at 20" to replicate a true 40" tire and the bottom of the housing is at 14" ground clearance.

The angle finder came out, the diff face was placed at 20* to replicate a 20* pin angle and we gained a 1/4" to 14-1/4" at the lowest point of the housing.

#21 ·

Super-14 Jack Bolts:
Now here is something that got me all warm and tingly.... jack bolts! No banging or jacking on a 3rd member to get the silicone seal broken. Run the two jack screws in until the seal is broken and the 3rd will slip right out. Every single 3rd member mfg. should be doing these!

Now I am really surprised no one has said anything about this???

Am I over egg-xagerating how cool jack bolts are? I think this is a bitchin' idea.

#23 ·
Nice talkin with you last night Tim lookin forward to getting acouple of these to beat on :D
Joey

#29 ·
Thanks for the time on the phone the other day. Looking forward to running these in the new ultra4 racer. Any ideas on internal axle seals for 40 spline axles in the torq housing?

No worries Steve, you've been one of the longest on the waiting list for a 14 bolt drop out of some kind, now with the Super 14 availability we can get you into one soon.

For the inner seals, we've been recommending the 450068n (National seal) and just machine up a small ring to hold it in place. We should have those rings available as soon as I can get working on the Super 14 we have here.

#28 ·
It would be hard to compare the two diffs and I don't want this thread to get into a one is better than the other match, they both have their up and down points.

The Solid 14 has a lower price, is sand cast and uses a 2 bolt though bolted main cap.

The Super 14 is permanent mold cast, uses a 4 bolt main cap and costs more.

The biggest thing at this time is availability. If you call right now we can have a Super 14 shipped out to you ASAP. The Solid 14 is still going through production.

There is place for both diffs in the market and Solid has a great reputation for being a solid company.

Torq Axle is working to build their reputation as a great company as well and to do that they know they need to get out the best product they can as fast as they can.

#33 ·
It would be hard to compare the two diffs and I don't want this thread to get into a one is better than the other match, they both have their up and down points.

It was not my intention to stur up any non sense, but with that being said it is going to be the MOST common question, every time. Thanks for the info.

Do these have a warranty, or is it that race type of thing where if you break it we will take care of you as long as you did not do something retarded like run it out of oil?

In terms of the axle seals could the rev 14 seals from Crane work? They do offer 40 spl options.

#31 ·
Will both drop outs fit in both housings? Example... If a guy wanted to run Ruff Stuff housings would the super 14 style fit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.