Pirate 4x4 banner

55 Willys Title Thread

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  78-79FordMan 
#1 ·
Warning:
I took my Jeep down to Nevada DMV to get it registered, and first you get a VIN check. My dataplate is really old, and some of the first numbers 57548 can't be seen, but the real serial 16509 can. First part just means it's a CJ5, and the last was the production number.
He said that he would need to see the number on the frame, and when I told him I had changed the frame it was over. He told me I had an assembled vehicle, and it would have to go through a safety inspection, and be registered as an assembled vehicle. Plus that I had changed the engine.
This sent me into a tizzy of slight depression thinking I would have to engineer a parking brake, and so on.
I've decided to get a restored data plate and take it back to another DMV office. I just thought I'd post this up for others here on the board who have changed frames, but their Jeeps are still stock wheelbase, as well as stock in appearance. I really think this guy enjoyed jacking me up. I didn't argue with him, but we'll see who gets the last laugh.

See less See more
#7 ·
i have been buying , selling , and registering jeeps for years here in california , and i have even made my own data plates from aluminium and punched the numbers myself . when i do a frame swap i always punch the numbers in my frame too . its something you can do at home and the number punches are anywhere fom $20 to $50 and will save you alot of headache .

#9 ·
Way cheaper than going through a safety inspection, and what year would it be considered if the block is 1974, and heads are 2002? The whole assembled vehicle thing.
Also, the guy who did the VIN inspection finally got it right. Willys CJ5. California had me as Willy.
I'm very pleased, and too have triple XXX for a license plate. How cool is that.

#11 ·
In NM you can get the VIN inspection at MVD or from a small number of police who are certified to do these. I called the local po-po first and talked with a guy who seemed OK. Flat-towed the Jeep in, he looked it over but wouldn't issue paper because it didn't have an engine. The original was long gone, and it had a 231 with a cracked block when I got it - no trans or t-case, but still on the original frame and axles at that point. I'd already yanked the 231 out, and that was a mistake; should've gotten the inspection first. He said that it didn't need to run, but at least needed to have a block. OK, fine. I drove about 1/2 mile to MVD and got the VIN inspection done with no problems. "How many cylinders?" Well, it had four originally, six when I got it, and before I'm done it'll be eight. "Eight it is! What color is it?" Originally red, has been white and green, and currently is mostly black. But it'll probably be something else soon. "Black."

My original tag is in a little better condition, but it's great to know where to get a duplicate - thanks!

#12 ·
Interesting, here in WA you can take a vehicle in for a "VIN Inspection", and a WA State trooper looks over your rig with a fine tooth comb in the hopes he'll find a VIN number.. If no VIN is found, then a new tag is stamped out and a new VIN is issued. And it's not a road-worthiness test, just a VIN inspection. It could roll in missing parts and roll out with a new VIN.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.