Pirate 4x4 banner

Coming Soon from Currie Enterprises !!!

76K views 251 replies 97 participants last post by  DAVID@CURRIE ENT. 
#1 ·

PRICING COMING SOON!!!

AVAILABLE FALL 2011

See less See more
#199 ·
Update on the Rock Jock 70!!
Some quick facts...
-RJ 70 is 100% Made in the USA
-3.50 x .375 DOM or 4130 tubes available
-It was tested for over a year before released into production
-Strongest High Pinion Axle in the market
-Available in 35 and 40 spline
-ARB and Detroit Lockers
-Over 150 units in the field with "0" failures to date!!!

-Larry McRae, 2013 KOH - Rock Jock 70 Rear, Rock Jock 60 Front

-Larry McRae, 2014 KOH - Rock Jock 70 Front & Rear

-Bailey Campbell - Rock Jock 70 Front & Rear

Tony Pelegrino, 2013, 2014 KOH - Rock Jock 70 Front & Rear

John Currie, 2014 Miller Motorsports - Rock Jock 70 Rear, Rock Jock 60 Front

Industrial application Rock Jock 70's

#209 ·
A RJ70 is a wonderful unit. However not everyone has the budget for it, With Curries D70 5.38s It is possible with the Jana kit to install them in any High Pinion D60. Housing you may already have.

#211 ·
I know Tony is not easy on his RJ70s. He has yet to destroy one at KOH and testing. He destroyed his 4400 car after KOH14 but the axles are going into one of his new cars. The load bolted RJ70 has been race proven. I know there are a few rock bouncers either installing or looking at the front application for sure. For the rear it has lived for us with the gears looking new every time we service it.

The new car with a lot more power should test it limits quickly. We are running a Detroit now but are switching to the new Eaton 4 pinion E-locker before Thanksgiving week.

#224 ·
Uhm ... Tony doesn't seem to be so high on the HP rear in this video:

Tony Pellegrino walkaround of GenRight KOH Buggy - YouTube

(Skip to 3:50. Sorry, it just turned up when I was looking for his vids.)
Guys, at the time of this video (about 1 year ago) we had just switched to the Currie RJ70 from a low pinion 60. We had had a lot of ring & pinion issues with the low pinion 60 (which was running on the proper side of the gear) with the amount of horsepower we have in our KOH car. We even ran special "drag" 60 gears at the time.
Fact is, I mis-spoke here in this video! Our issues were not with the new (at the time) Currie Rock Jock 70, but with the low pinion Dana 60 rear axle. We could only get 300 miles on those gears.
Fast forward a year and lots of hard miles later with a bigger engine and we are still on the same RJ70 housing and gears (last time we had that, I was running an LS1) and are worth the extra $$$.

#216 ·
In my opinion there is no comparison between the 14 bolt and the RJ70. High Pinion is where it is at in the rocks! The Currie Rock Jock 70 is the only reliable solution. We have over a year of hard miles on a front and rear HP70 and you can barely see any wear on the gears. We have increased the horsepower on our car every year and these axles simply work!

#220 ·
Where'd you read about the new RJ with load bolt?

I talked to the guys from Currie during EJS, but it sounded like a redesign to include a load bolt and possibly larger (3.5") tubes, was quite a while off.

I would buy one in a heartbeat. I'm not running enough power to need a 70, but already have Super 60 gearset and ARBs.

3/4 of an inch less clearance seems high. The ring gear is only .600 larger than the super 60.

Ryan

#221 · (Edited)
Where'd you read about the new RJ with load bolt?

I talked to the guys from Currie during EJS, but it sounded like a redesign to include a load bolt and possibly larger (3.5") tubes, was quite a while off.

I read it here, see link about the fourth paragraph down-
SEMA 2014: Currie Enterprises Debuts New RockJock 70 Axle - Off Road Xtreme
” Currie also told us that, “Our RockJock 60 is coming soon, and it will look very much like the 70.”

Sorry that was an assumption, they don't actually say load bolt but say a new 60 similar to the 70, thought they'd throw in a load bolt? I asked if a Load bolt kit could be retrofitted to RJ60? currie said not with that housing so thought they maybe designing one with L/Bolt?

3/4 of an inch less clearance seems high. The ring gear is only .600 larger than the super 60.

yep for only 0.600" Difference to get a 10" R&P in the 60Housing makes it very worthwhile for the increased strength with zero loss in clearance compared to a 70.
Specs from Currie Via My Dealer-
RJ60 Centre line of Axle to Bottom of Pumpkin- 5.37"
RJ70 Centre line of Axle to Bottom of Pumpkin- 6.18"
Difference is 0.81" or 20.574mm or aprox 13/16"
So a bit over 3/4"

Im running 37's Max Tyre diam, Be different if i was going to run 40", then i'd go the RJ70 no question, i think i should stick with the 60 but go for the Super 60 Gear Upgrade to help with the Hemi V8 but i'd prefer to wait if theres a new 60Housing on the way? but cant wait forever so go the 70 as its here now? just hate giving up ground clearance.

#228 · (Edited)
The Specs i wrote were from my Australian Dealer who said he got it from Currie?

To confuse things more i got an email from Currie tech help who said "Hight difference between the 60 and the 70 is about an inch."
About?!! i wasn't willing to accept an about 1",! so the 70 was off my list when i heard that.

#231 · (Edited)
#248 · (Edited)
Is the major spline diameter on the d70 gears1.500, 1.516 or 1.525?

Or does it matter? Doesn't look like it does... .025 difference on the OD of the splines isn't much at all.

The yoke I posted says its for 1.525 (and the one steve gerster was quoted using for 35 spline 9")
http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/SPI-3-4-5191-1.html

The flange you posted is for 1.516 OD splines
http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/NDT-00119.html

BUT at the top of the page they both say they are for pro fab 35 spline np205 outputs...

Here is a 9" 35 spline 1350 yoke. Spline diameter listed as 1.500
http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/VIC-EY1350-9375.html

They all have 2.125 seal diameter.

Also, the flange you posted IS for a rockwell 2.5 ton flange 4.75 bolt circle, 3.75 pilot.

It definitely looks like currie's flange is the best value, being HT 4140, and no question as to if it is the correct spline.

#251 ·
I ordered the Currie flange, pinion preload shims, and pinion nut today so I guess I'll have to figure out if I need to shorten the flange at some point. David is on vacation right now so I'm sure he'll chime in when he gets back. Everyone I've dealt with at Currie has been very helpful and nice. This is the first time I've ever purchased from them.

#252 · (Edited)
Here is some pictures of the 35 spline flange we make

Note the modified yoke on the left is for the 70. When the 70 was designed pinion bearing spread was maximized, the reason why the yoke/flange needs to be modified. We make our flange the same way the Strange yoke is made so we can use it for different applications of 9" pinion support and 70.

I did confirm that the pinion spline diameter is 1.500

Please note that the bearing spread on the 70 has nothing to do with the bearing spread on a 9". We used the same spline as the 35 spline 9" so we could use some of the readily available yokes and flanges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.