Pirate 4x4 banner

gas smell on oil dipstick

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bbccj7 
#1 ·
I have a 77 jeep cj 7 with 258 and carter bbd carb. I checked the oil the other day and smell gas. Its getting oil in gas a buddy said sounded like float stuck so i took carb apart cleaned it out readjusted float level. I also pulled needle valve and there is a very slight groove around where it seats. Would this also cause it to have the problem im having and any other ideas before i change oil and try agian. Also how many times should i change oil to get all gas out. This is a new motor and dont want to risk loosing a bearing and washing cylinders down. thanks.

#6 · (Edited)
You could leave the $20.00 pump there until it craters the engine. Or pull it now! Just to be safe.

No really If the carb is dumping that much fuel it wouldn't run correctly. You didn't say weather or not the engine ran good or not.

I have seen carbs overflow after the engine has been turned off. This is a float problem. Is it hard to start after setting like it's flooded?

So if it runs good then about the only thing it could be is the pump. Assuming the rings have seated.

Is the oil just a little gas smelling or is there enough that the oil level shows an increase on the dip stick?

I would think if you drained the oil (keep the plug out for a 1/2 hr or at least till it stopped dripping) fill with new oil start her back up run 10mins change it again you should be ok.

The pump could be under warranty?

One more thing it's an internal combustion (Engine)

#5 ·
yes the groove on the float valve could cause a leak.

one oil change should be fine, gas will just stay in the liquid oil and not really contaminate stuff anymore than the sludge that is already in the engine. what you have to worry about is it watering down the oil and taking away the lubrication. I have seen a few motors ruined from gas in the oil. spun bearings, siezed rings etc. mostly from float valves.
also I would not run the engine until you change the oil because it could be hard to tell how much gas is actually in there. hell it might be a bit of an oil system flush though:flipoff2:

#8 ·
yeah just smell i think it ran great last time i ran it. Its not a brand new engine but close motor only has 5 or 6000 miles on it and just a few hrs on new head. The oil pan was leaking bad i just finished changing oil pan and gasket last nite and did a oil change. Got another fuel pump on order waiting on it to come in now. But i try to start it last nite and fuel is pouring out top of carb so i think im just going to wait till funds allow and order my header to use with my offenhauser and holly 4 barrel. Went to pull a part yesterday trying to find a 4.3 tbi setup to go on it but no luck everything was either missing throttle body or everything else. Thanks for the help just waiting on parts to come in now and $ for header.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.