Pirate 4x4 banner

Building a 300 blackout

32K views 272 replies 54 participants last post by  freerider5.0 
#1 ·
Before I spend money I want some opinions. I am going to build a blackout but I will not use any AAC parts. They are owned by Freedom Group who has fucked up Marlin like that was their primary objective. I am leaning twords a 16" Delta upper. Any other places I should look?

#2 ·
Following this, links if you can, I'm starting another of these addictive fuckers.

#3 ·
You can buy barrels online. That's the only difference between .300blk and .223 AR.

#5 ·
Leben - you links not showing. At least on this iPhone it isn't.

All I have right now is a stripped lower so I may get the trigger and stock while I do some more reading on the upper. I am going to try a vltor stock, never used one before. I am leaning twords Timney on the trigger due to past experiences with their stuff.

#6 ·
Tom Hines of Tactical Solutions fame was in our shop picking up some Anodized parts we ran for him. He dropped a 10" 300BLK barrel on my Engineers desk. Still in the white, but he said he had a batch being blacked. I can get some more info for you if interested, I plan on doing a build on his barrel cuz he makes real nice stuff!!

:D

#12 ·
id like to throw together a blackout upper to use on 100-150 yard hog hunting, just wondering if its worth it as a can is a ways away financially right now, especially with other irons in the fire.

sorry for the hijack, but i think Delta has some sweet deals for the OP.

#28 · (Edited)
well......HELLO and welcome to OSR.....I think we have arrived...

No, 300 BLK at 300 meters has 16.7% more energy than Lapua 7.62x39mm ammo. That means it is just a good way to get 30 round capacity of 30 caliber ammo in a normal AR with a normal bolt and normal magazines. All it needs is a barrel change.

So if you would not suppress an AK, then there is no reason to suppress a BLK.

$12.99 MSRP a box.

Crimped.

Waterproof primer.

Double-struck (NATO hardness) brass.

Open Tip match (nose struck closed).

Annealed with visible mark for verification.

About a 0.300 BC at 2250 fps.

Full-out-awesome, and I am very proud of the ammunition engineers for taking the dream-approach on this.

There will be no shortage of this. If the market wants a million rounds a month, it will get it. It has its own machines.

I suppress my AK and it makes a huge difference. Its almost my favorite thing to shoot suppressed.

So... a barrel is all that is needed to swap a "normal" AR 15 into 300 blackout?
I'm getting interested now.....

yep!

If this thing is going to be popular enough that UMC is going to start cranking out rounds for it.... I do believe I MIGHT just have to build me one of these!
It will be popular based on price alone. Reformed one-fired 223 brass is 10 cents each:

http://www.allweatherarms.com/1000-...out-Brass-1000-Pcs-Processed-300-Blackout.htm

And new Remington primed brass is 25 cents each at Midway.

And while some bullets are more optimal than others, you can shoot any 30 cal bullet you have.
Both are GTG. Come on over to 300blktalk.com and read:smokin:
**sign** something else to build...... :laughing:

www.300blktalk.com

#23 ·
Anyone here have any experience with the Model 1 or CMMG uppers or parts thereof? I'm thinking seriously about this as my next build as well. Any other sources to consider for a budget build? Palmetto doesn't offer the caliber yet, but I would probably use another one of their lower parts kits to finish out my lower.

#31 ·
IMO, the 6.8 has much better ballistics, just a bit smaller hole :flipoff2: A 6.8 will push a 115gr at ~2600 fps, and 85gr at ~3000 fps, not far off a .243 . I guess the suppressed subsonic 175gr load might be interesting to some, just don't see the 115 gr load as anything exciting ... meh

#33 · (Edited)
Can you run a 6.8 with a standard AR BCG, lower and mags? I like the idea of the 300 blackout because I can just buy an upper and then use the rest of my AR mags and BCG. Seems to save a little money while being able to use your existing lower and mags. I'm waiting for more info before I do it though.

Edit: I just did some reading and you have to use a new bolt, barrel, and mags for the 6.8.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.