Pirate 4x4 banner

Running TTB D44 without a C-clip

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Dustball 
#1 ·
I'm planning to run my TTB with no c-clip so when my shaft breaks I can fix it easy on the trail. I'm trying to find out exacty how I go about doin in, I know you put a spring in the slip joint. But I can't find what else you need to do. I was looknig at the ARB Website since this is what they do, but I didn't see anything on their page either.

Any help would be great.

#4 ·
depends, i know someone with a cut and turned dana 35 that did the spring trick, well he has to much travel and it blew out the end of his slip joint.

what he did was

went to trator supply and found a collar that fit the shaft snug. and then mounted a bracket off the ttb that the collar couldnt go past, so the axle shaft couldnt come out.

its hard for me to explain but i will find some pics of it for ya

#7 ·
the ones with the bolt on passenger side shaft are going to be a little harder to find parts for. it is one of those things you should stay away from.

Just call $WP and ask them which spring they use.

Try using the search engine here and Google.

#10 · (Edited)
I used a '79 Honda 1500 CVCC outer valve spring. Was almost perfect length. You want it to be under about 0.3-0.5" compression at static ride height.
You may want to put a couple tack welds around the dust cap on the backside of the yoke. Its just pressed in. After 6 years the pressure from the spring finally popped it out. Fortunately I found it right as I was going to do routine maintenance.

Theres nothing else you need other than the spring.
I needed it for the ARB, but not having to pull the pig for shaft replacement is an added bonus. I've busted a couple other shafts (joints), but not the right-inner one yet.

elbronco beat me to the cap welding part:D Its not uncommon for it to pop out, but easy to prevent.

#11 ·
Hey Phill,

Need to have the cap welded like the others said-

As for the spring, I just went down to the hardware store and bought a couple of whatever fit inside the slip joint. I think it was 1-1/8" dia x 3" long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.