219K views 60 replies 38 participants last post by  supazuk94 
#1 · (Edited)
FAQ TOPICS

General Suzuki Informaion

Models/Types

AXLE INFO INCLUDING SWAPS

AISIN HUB INFO
hub interchangeability
Aisin locking hub tech: Interchangeability, and converting Samurai lockouts to Toyota - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
How to tell which hubs these are - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

STOCK ZUK AXLE INFO

Killer 300M axleshafts

Zook 27spline axles and spool upgrade?

Dilemma: D44 vs. yota

TT Double Tough shafts =1, Grade 12.9 hub bolts = 0
newfield thread
zuk newfields - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
Lunch box locker tech
**FAQ- ZUK Lunchbox Locker tech** - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
Sidekick & Tracker Axles
-General Information
-What Gears can use on a Samurai

DANA AXLE SWAP INFO
FAQ - DANA axle swap info... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
-Gears
-Steering
-Swap Information
-Links

TOY AXLE IN ZUK INFO
FAQ: TOY AXLE INFO <---HELP BUILD the FAQ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
-Gears
-Steering
-Swap Information
-Links
fitting 30 spline longfields in toys
what tool for 30spline clearance? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
toy FAQ
Official PBB Toyota FAQ {Last rev. 11/2007} - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
shaved trussed and armored axle collection (from toy forum)
Shaved, Trussed, and Armored Axle Collection - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
Toyota Front Axle Information & Specifications

FJ AXLE IN ZUK INFO
FAQ: Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 axles into a Samurai. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
-Gears
-Steering
-Swap Information
-Links
General Axle Swap Discussion
Danas vs. Toys - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
d44's vs. Toy's - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
(note maybe later we can summarize those threads here...pro/cons etc...)

-Electrical

T-CASE/TRANNY INFO
What tcase gears should I (or you) buy?
Samurai – How to set up a transfer case for 2WD-Low
SOS RingeR and Lucky 13 Adapters
RingeR: Zuk 1.6 Bell Housing to Toy transmission
Lucky 13: Zuk 1.3 engine to 1.6 Bell Housing

Samurai – How to set up a transfer case for 2WD-Low
Shifter
Q. Shifter problems/can't put it IN a gear or remove it from a gear.
A. Start with the shifter sheet. To remove it push down on retaining ring and turn CCW. Then pull shifter up/out. See vender list for new sheets, ALL VENDORS HAVE NEW SHIFT SHEETS
Front output pilot bearing removal
Front output pilot bearing removal... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

AUTO Tranny Stuff
TH180 Mods and Upgradesl
Volvo AW71 Transmission install
Higher stall converter with TH180

1.6 Tranny/Tcase Gear reduction Stuff

-Gearing Thoughts/Concepts..
Q. Which is better axle gearing or a t-case kit ?
A. While doing transfer case gears is probably the biggest bank for buck and a quick-fix, it is definitely a lousy way to try and create a reliable, trouble-free drive-train. Think about this for a minute... You put on larger tires. Now your pinion becomes TWICE as hard to turn. This puts TWICE as much stress on the u-joints, the transfer case mounts, the transfer case itself, and the brackets on the side of the frame that holds the transfer case in place. "GEE I wonder why I need these big honkin' driveshafts now"...or "why do my bolts pull out of the transfer case on the long arm side"... or the mounting boss breaks off of the transfer case....or the short arm side bracket starts tearing off of the frame rail. "Gosh - maybe it is because I gave my transfer case almost 3 times as much power by putting in 6:1's and now it wants to do flip flops in its mounts because I must have FORGOT to change the ring and pinions relative to my tire size - which would have made the drive-shaft easy to turn again and takes all of the strain off of these parts - like it was made from the factory when the little tires were on it." It is a MISTAKE to do all of your gear reduction at one point. Especially that far up the mechanical chain. Do yourself a favor...reduce the ratio at the ring and pinions relative to the size tire you want to run, then select the transfer case gears that will best meet your 4-wheeling needs. By going this route, you will have a well thought out and trouble-free drivetrain working well within the parameters of strain that the parts can and will reliably handle. -Brent (Trail Tough Products)
T CASE REBUILDS
Suzuki Tech | iZook - Suzuki 4x4 Tech Information, Accessories, Travel & Adventure
Trail Creeper 6.5 Samurai Gear Instructions

TWIN STICK TECH
my twin stick also found a shift boot! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
Anybody want a twin stick? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
Starting my twin stick mod, got a couple ?'s - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
http://xfaktor.net:8082/Projects/Suzuki/4.16TCase/4.16TCase.html#TwinStick
Suzuki Drive-shafts
Samurai driveshaft length info

Lengthening drive shaft how to
Lengthening drive shaft - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Doubler FAQ
ZUK doubler FAQ - please help build this FAQ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
So, another home made tracker range box.......... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
Suzuki/Geo Doublers are here! (Sidekick to Dana 300)

ZUK ENGINES
Engine
Engine Swap Bellhousings
Suzuki 1.6L Engine Swap
MSD ignition install writeup

1.3 Engine
G series specs database
Suzuki G Series Engines - Wikipedia
List of Suzuki Engines - Wikipedia

-Pullys
Q. What pullies can I swap on?
A. Chevy Sprint 1.0L is a great swap, has stock water pump pully AND an overdrive for power steering, and other accessiries.
The 1.0L is also made by suzuki, so other vehicles with this or similer engines should work....

Acks 1.6 16v wiring

Cylinder Head Tech:
writeup on suzuki 8V cylinder heads and crankshafts, differences/similarities, and planimetric schematic of combustion chambers for determining how much to mill for desired compression ratio: The Facts on Suzuki Cylinder Heads! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (more engine tech to be added eventually)

Ignition Tech:
wiring an MSD ignition box into your samruai with separate diagrams for common combinations of computer control hitachi or TBI, carbs/propane, factory tach or aftermarket tach: MSD ignition install writeup (by request) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Turbo Tech:
1.6 16 valve Junkyard 5 hour turbol

2000 2-door Tracker/Buggy w/1.5 16V and a turbo

More with multiple links

ZUK CARB INFO
Samurai dead (HELP PLEASE!) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

VACUUM

-Alternator Upgrades

1.6 L Engine
link to team swifts 1.6 forum (need to build a better 1.6 FAQ)
TeamSwift • View forum - 1.6L Conversions & Overbored Motors
1.6 wiring FAQ
**FAQ Wiring for a 8V 1.6 ** - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
PROPANE INFO
PROPANE INFO
-1.3 TURBO
1.3 TURBO INFO

-16 VALVE PROPANE
16 VALVE PROPANE INFO

2.0 info
Vitara Engine Tech - two liter
2.0 Liter tach fix
2.0 swap in first gen track/kick

22r swap
My 22RE swap reposted. - Zukikrawlers

other 4 bangers
ecotec conversions

BRAKES

ZUK rear disks with nissan calipers and Firebird master
Master cylinder help
Mazda 929 Brake Master Cylinder Upgrade - BOLT ON!
Subaru master cylinder how to
Shuduck's Subaru master cylinder how to
Transfer Case Emergency Brake

STEERING INFO

biggest setup without power steering?
Full Hydro info:
zuk full hydro on the cheap - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
Full Hydro On A Budget... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
Full Hydraulic Steering from Performance Off-Road Systems By BillaVista

Hydro assist:
Toyota hydro assist tech (courtesy of the Toyota FAQ)
Toyota power steering and ram hose diagram

Power Steering:
Toyota truck power steering pump bracket to 1.3 Samurai
What are you running for steering??
Howe power steering bleeding instructions
2.0-2.3-powersteering-options

suspension

Spring Length Chart
post up your 4 link lengths with some pics
linky linky every where (aka what rod ends do you run)
Link suspensions for dummies?
THE GOD OF SUSPENSION...[for those of you who don't know]
Suspension geometry for GETIN IT!

General
Weight list: engine, axles, t cases, etc.

IF ITS NOT IN THIS FAQ THEN YOU CAN FIND IT ONE OF THESE:
ACKS FAQ Ack's FAQ Suzuki Sidekick and Geo Tracker 4X4 offroading information
IZOOK: Suzuki Tech | iZook - Suzuki 4x4 Tech Information, Accessories, Travel & Adventure

OTHER FAQ's
PBB ZUK BUILD TABLE OF CONTENTS
Toyota FAQ
Chevy TOTW's
Ford TOTW's
Isuzu FAQ
Mercedes FAQ
The Official Pirate4x4.com Jeep Talk Bible Triaged's 4-link Analyzer / Calculator

Vendors
SUPORT THOSE THAT SUPORT THE BOARD!
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - Supporting Pirate4x4 Vendors

ZUK vendor list: (listed in no order, preference; Some do not support PBB) If you have a question about a product bug these guys, not the PBB (unless you bought something, and reviewing it for us).

Bumpers, Rock Sliders, Rocker Protection, Skid Plates, ShrockWorks
The Spidertrax Store
Welcome to the Trail Tough Products
Low Range Off Road
Hawk Suzuki Parts is now part of Low Range Off Road
Roadless Gear
Petroworks Off-Road Products
Rocky Road
Asian Auto Parts of Arizona
Wheelers Offroad
Davesport
Calmini
PRODUCT REVIEW THREADS
Product reviews - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Sites Worthy of Mention
AZ Rockcrawler.com
SAMURAI WIKI
izook

ITEMS THAT NEED FAQS
if anyone has one PM your MOD
General Steering Stuff
Stock Steering
Power Steering
Spring Swaps
CJ spring swap FAQ
YJ spring swap FAQ

SEARCH TIPS
Search feature for three letter words

Search leaves out three letter words. If you want to search for IFS (or any other three letter or number combination), use an asterisk (*) like this: IFS* or *IFS. The search will use that as a wildcard.

USING GOOGLE TO SEARCH

If you DON'T have a red star you can not use the the search feature - you can either pay the $20/yr https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/payments.php or use just use Google Advanced Search. Just put "www.pirate4x4.com" into the domain search field along with what you are looking for. For example to find info on 2.0 motor swaps, type into the google search field - "site: pirate4x4.com 2.0 motor swap".

I decided not to take away from "zukipuke's" (Yager) original FAQ thread, But edit out what was missing and outdated.
I figured it was best left similar for posterity. and since it links all the other FAQ's I unstuck all but this one. Feel free to PM me or reply to this thead or any other of the FAQ's as i will review them all and push all the best tech to the top.
-jay

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
There's some stuff here.:D

http://www.angelfire.com/ns2/por-tech/POR_TECH.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/ns2/por-tech/POR_TECH.htm

Pirate 4X4 tech Site..........
this is posted to have a link to the best discussion about a certain problem
dealing with Suzuki's..... it seems that a lot of "newbies" and others
get fed up with the search button giving them pages that have nothing to do with
what their looking for, so I'll do the searching for ya.......... so I'll keep
updating this page as new, and more up to date reports and discussions are
posted on the POR Suzuki board.....
TOYOTA AXLE SWAP

Break
problem solved......

Drive
shaft, breaks, and steering solutions.....

are
toy axles actually strong enough???

SUSPENSION SETUPS
YJ
(wrangler) springs

Coils

Coils
2(part 1)

Coils
2(part 2)

a
bit of 1/4 elliptical

ENGINE PROBLEMS
blown
head gasket symptoms....

antifreeze
leaking from around water pump

stalls
after about 1-2minutes of driving....
...... problem was water in gas
DRIVE TRAIN PROBLEMS
T-case
stuck in nutral

tranny
won't shift

BODY
half
doors

half
cab/ flat bed
......zukipuke
half
cab/ flat bed
........ seabass44
half
cab
.........zukstur
tubed
front clip

#4 · (Edited)
Brief Samurai/SJ-413/SJ-410 Chronology - what to llok for when buying a SJ Suzuki

Taken from here: Old Thread

What to look for...

Maybe this could be added to a newbie sticky or something...

Hmm, where to begin... SJ-410s through SJ-413/ Samurai...hmm...<zzzz...zzzz> Wake up Chris!

I'll try to include Canada/US specific differences because these seem to creep in and confuse a lot of people you will talk to on the weeb.

Some of this might be slightly incorrect (from memory, dates in particular). If anyone knows better feel free to jump in.

* 1982. SJ-410 arrives in Canada. Basically the Samurai style vehicle that we have the love/hate relationship with. These beasties have the narrow track frame (front springs inset under frame rails in front), a 1.0 liter 4 cylinder engine (aluminum head, iron block. Want one? No seriously...), 4 speed manual trans with first gear ratio of about 3.15:1, 4th is 1:1. T-case is similar is design to a Samurai case BUT has a different casing, more squared off, no 4x4 switch, small flanges. Body styles are hard top (i.e. V), Pickup (K), LWB and normal soft top. Axles (4.10:1) are narrow to match the frame, differentials are same as LJ-80. Quick ratio upgrade is to get 4.56:1 ratio diffs from an LJ and plug them in. No parts interchange between these axles and the Samurai. T-case ratios are 1.58:1 in high, 2.56:1 (or so, bad memory, sit! stay!) in low.

* 1982/3. Same as above, newer style t-case housing starts to appear - very similar to Sam case with exception of 4x4 switch. Same ratios.

* 1984. Same as above except the t-case uses the same types of gear clusters as a Samurai case but with lower ratios (1.58, 2.5x). These gears are the ones used to make a "rocklobster" t-case (combination of these gears and Samurai gears to make a 1.58 high, 4.16 low t-case - web search for instructions). This may be the first "sanctioned" appearance of the SJ-410 in the US. Not 100% on that though.

* 1985. SJ-413 is introduced in Canada. Differences from a SJ-410: Samurai all aluminum 1300cc engine with Aisin carb and 5 speed transmission (3.652:1 first). Axles are changed to Samurai style diffs but with SJ-410 front brakes and 3.90:1 axle ratios. These diffs are intercahngable between Samurai and SJ-413). New Samurai style dash with no central console (the original style). T-case ratios change to Samurai ratios (1.409:1, 2.2x:1). Last year of pickup in Canada. US still recieves some SJ-410s, but not the SJ-413.

* 1986. First year of what we commonly call a Samurai in US and Canada. Canadian spec kept the Aisin carb (lenient emmisions reqs) while the the US got this fooked up Hitachi carbu-jector thing. Front spring spacing moved outboard of the frame approximately 2-1/8" per side, axles grew also to widen the track. US recieves soft top and hard top but not the pick-up or LWB versions.

* 1987-1988. Last year of LWB in Canada.

* 1988.5. First restyle of Samurai in North American market. New dash with a more car like center to house radio, heater controls, little cubbies, etc. Spring rates change (soften?). Canada gets the Hitachi carbujector.

* 1990. EFI on the 1300cc engine starts to appear (late 1990 I think).

* 1991. Last year for hard top, grille is restyled to two long horzontal slots.

* 1992. Last year of Samurai in Canada.

* 1993. Samurai is sold in US only without rear bench - to get around tighening security regs.

* 1995. Last year of Samurai in US.

There's probably more nitty gritty details I'm forgetting but that is pretty much it in NA.

To build a Sam, I'll recommend based upon keeping a real body on the machine, street legal...The tube frame guys don't care about any of this anyway.

Pick whatever year has the features you want (grille, EFI, dash). From 1986 on they are all pretty much the same machine, it's just cosmetic preferences.

What to look for: RUST! Around the fender openings, the e-brake handle, rear door behind the fender opening, front foor wells. RUST is the number one killer of Samurais. Engine condition may or may not be important if you plan to upgrade to a Suzuki "big block" (1600cc) right away (recommended for the EFI and extra torque). Otherwise look for something that is complete and in good shape. You may not care much about the condition of the seats, you'll probably replace. The stockers are chintzy cheap things that don't seem to last and need to be replaced.

The basic boiler plate build up is SPOA, t-case gears (1.58, 4.1), real bumpers and lockers front and rear, 31" tires, cross-over steering. This will go pretty much anywhere you want for the type of wheeling you have in mind - it'll spank lots of bigger machines too.

"Foo foo" stuff you may want to add: power steering (TracKick or Toy donor), a 1600cc engine (either 8V or 16V - who ever has enough power?). I don't see the 1300cc EFI as being a big draw. Some like it; I hear it doesn't respond well to cam or intake/exhaust changes.

My opinion is going much larger than a 33"-34" tire on a Sam that is going to be street driven regularly is more trouble than it is worth. Breakage and lack of power starts to become an issue. Then you start getting into talking about Toy or Dana axles, V-6 engine swaps, etc., etc. These things really change the character of a Samurai. It may or may not be what you want at the end - you won't know till you drive it.

Some sites worth looking at:

http://www.izook.com
http://www.off-road.com/suzuki

Check the links pages for links to vendors and such.

HTH

r@m

#5 ·
410 vs 413 vs Sam axles

Since someone asked, I'll break it out from the above.

Interchanges:

413 to Sam - diff assemblies. 413 LWBs had 3.90 ratio. Sam is 3.73 ratio.

No axle shafts interchange between 410/413/Sam. 413/Sam are ~2" different in length per side. 410 and Sam are completely different. I am like 75% sure that 410 and 413 shafts will not interchange (correct me if I'm wrong). They are the same length though, different spline count.

410 to 413 - Some early 413s have 410 brakes. Diff assemblies are NOT interchangable.

410 to LJ-80 (50?) the diffs are interchangable, LJ-80 is 4.56:1, 410 is 4.1:1. Shafts do NOT interchange.

Common upgrade is SJ-410 front brakes to replace LJ-80 front drums. Bolt on assembly.

Common 410 upgrade is 413 axles outright.

Common 413 upgrade is Sam axles outright. When doing spoa makes for a little involved front passenger side perch as the perch rides the diff a little.

I'm probably forgetting a few minor points. I'll update the thread if they occur to me.

HTH

#6 · (Edited)
Moose. Jus so others don't get confused ------ 413------- you are referring to an 1985 model year only. Is this right?

I am like 75% sure that 410 and 413 shafts will not interchange (correct me if I'm wrong). They are the same length though, different spline count.

Can anyone verify the above about interchanging 410 and 413 shafts.

#7 ·
whats his name said:
Moose. Jus so others don't get confused ------ 413------- you are referring to an 1985 model year only. Is this right?
Yes, correct - should have been more precise. Sorry about that. Cdn spec 1985 SJ-413 was a one year only thing for North America. US never got the SJ-413, unless you are willing to call the 1986+ trucks an SJ-413 - which Suzuki did not.

r@m

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
addition

ive got a sam prod date nov-85............

things so far that are different than my 88 are..........

d/l slip joint has a smaller spline size..........

flange yolks {d/l and axel} are smaller.................

but i had an axel bearing go away on my 88 {long side}

and the long side {axel shaft} appears to be the same length

or at least i put it in my 88 and am driveing it back and forth to work everyday..................

i havent checked the gear ratio {axel} of the 85 just yet.....

is it possible that the nov/85 prod date would make this thing some sort production crossover mix of a 413 and a samurai...

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Manufacturing Tolerances 101

Tolerancing 101: by Orionn (mark)
In short:
The system of catagorizing the min/max tollereances into "A,B,C" sizing was developed to reduce the amount of mathmatics needed by the assembler to properly assemble these two parts.

In the manufaturing of all the individual pieces, the equipment used to produce all the parts, that is all of the Dies, cutters and mills, have set tollerances in which they are set up to and 'run' in as well.
There is ALWAYS a size difference in cylinder bores, pistons, and such on any Production engine, or for that matter, ANYTHING that is made, be it by machine,or hand. Its inevitable.

that being said, all the parts made will also have tollerances themselve. these 'manufacturing tolerances' are the range of minimum and maximum sizes allowed to produce a 'good' part. (Remember, that all tooling wears with use and age. And no two machines/tools wear or age the same. This affects how a part made with that tooling will measure out against the tollerances set up for that part. Thats the reason for the min/max dimensions on blue prints).

knowing that no two parts are exactly the same, certain features of the part are determined to be 'key' for the overall function of the part. In this case, its engine block bore and piston diameter,
After the individual part is produced, the key features are measured on that part, and then the measurments compaired to a chart to give it its proper designation of 'A', 'B', or 'C'.

The OEM manufacturers take an even more detailed approach to tollerancing for assembly, in that each bore in a block is labled with a letter denoting a certain size, or tolereance. Then an appropriate mating piston is selcted for each individual cylender.
In that way you cannot put a 'A' piston inside a 'C' bore on the engine block. this prevents situations of too tight of pistons or too loose of a piston, both of which can generate problems such as piston slap, lost compresion, siezure, thrown rods and the like. (this is what has given Ray a block with all different bores/piston combinations)

From a Rebuilding standpoint, the A,B,C method is ALOT less noticable, but still evident.
A good rebuilder will first measure the pistons (new or used) to determine the sizes of the individual parts, then bore and hone each cylinder with proper clearances for the piston asseblies, on an individual basis. (this is done more when using 'used' parts than 'new').
When new pistons are purchased, they are purchased pre-sorted to different sizes: stock, .010, .020, .030, ect. over bore.
To arrive at this point, the manufacuterer of the piston will cast/ forge in a certain toleranced die, do the final machining for size, then sort each 'size' by a tolerance range into 'sets' to be sold. Becouse of this, 'pre-tolerancing' of the piston sets, the machine shop has a much easier time boring a block for the new piston set, as they will all be of a simular size(within a predetermined tolerance for that set).

This whole process of tollerancing and re-tolerancing of parts goes on through the entire process of manufacturing and assembly untill you have a complete engine, ready to run.

this is a VERY basic example of how tollerancing CAN work, it is not an indepth explination, there are people in all areas of manufacturing that have made this thier only job, to set up tollerances for parts. I am NOT one of those people, but work with them enough for a rudementry explination of a few of the concepts that go into the process.

I hope that this all makes sence, I have left out ALOT of information that would cofuse the issue easily. so if you have questions, ask me, i will try to clarify what I can for you.

mark

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
BRAKE LINE (longer than stock)

This is a summary of other posts.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93613&highlight=honda+and+brake+and+lines

Rockrat:
Brake lines…
Sami Front -->mid 90's Tracker front RIGHT(21 1/2")pn# ?, or an 83 honda Accord FRONT either side(20")napa# 38673

Sami Rear --> front brake hose for a 90-96 Nissan 300ZX(23 3/8")NAPA part #38688

ghost dog:
Geo Metro's also work. Good pocketparts.

dumb:
Subaru brake lines also fit and are really fricken long! I don't know what the part number would be for new, but they are pretty easy to find in my neck of the woods at the pnp.

spencurai:
I used the front brake lines from a solid axle toy pickup for my rears on my zuk and the tracker lines for the front.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Basic Exterior dimensions, SWB

Exterior Dimensions, SWB Samurai (SJ413):

Wheelbase 79.9 in. (2030 mm)

Tread width:
Front 51.2 in. (1300 mm)
Rear 51.6 in. (1310 mm)

Overall Length: 135.0 in. (3430 mm)

Overall Width: (Body) 60.2 in. (1530 mm)

Overall Height: 65.6 in. (1665 mm)

Minimum ground clearance: 8.1 in. (205 mm)

Curb Weight: Manual 2094 lb. (942 kg)

Gross Vehicle Wt. Rating: 2923 lb. (1315 kg)

Gross Axle Wt. Rating:
Front 1257 lb. (566 kg)
Rear 1675 lb. (754 kg)

I barrowed this from here: Off-Road.com

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wheel bearing part number and other info:

Taken from a previous post by AkDale:
Here is all the info that I have picked up off of all sites that I visit.
Hope it is useful.
I have not checked the accuracy.

Bearings and seals for diff.

2 side bearings # BR17887
1 inside pinion # BR30307
1 outside pinion # BR30306
1 pinion seal # 350572

The bearings are SKF and the seal is Federal Mogul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This kind of info and a lot more can be found on:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/offroadtech/

86-88 Bearing, front wheel Suzuki 09265-41001 OEM P/N
86-88 Bearing race, front Timkin LM300811
86-88 Bearing, front wheel Koyo Hi-Cap (Japan) 57414 Original from Suzuki.
86-88 Bearing, front wheel Automotive Bearings International (Timken) LM300849
Marked with two part numbers, for bearing and race.
Both inner and outer front wheel bearings are the same.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

86-88 Bearing, rear outer axle wheel Koyo (Japan) DG3572DWRKB Original from Suzuki:
note this is the bearing only and does not include the retainer ring.
86-88 Bearing, rear outer axle wheel Federal Mogul RW128R Includes the retainer ring.
Federal Mogul is available from Industrial Bearing.

Rears are: SKF brand # 6207 2RSJEM, $27.71 at Kaman Bearing in Nampa
Fafner brand are the same but only $20.70 ea
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Longer brake lines. Ours are from a Honda Accord. At 26 inches
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Longer brake lines [re: 87rustbucket]

NAPA numbers... I think this is for the front... # 38673
And this is for the rear... # 38688
Price here in town for them was $29.99 (each) for the front a
nd $19.49 (each) for the rears
T case shifter sheet
The Suzuki part number is 29541-80051.
I bought two (one for a spare) in April 2001 at my
local Zuk dealer for $8.46 each plus tax.

Here is what is on the box of Wheel stud's I got from NAPA. (stock size)
Balkamp. # 641-2187
Size M12 DIA X 37.5 MM

Distributor O-Ring

OK heres the specs on O-ring get one at any parts store

width 3/32
Inner. diamenter 2-3/16
Outer diameter 2-3/8
the widht is just wee bit bigger than stock to make a better seal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the list of part numbers I have for longer brake lines.
Also, Geo Metro lines are supposed to do the trick! :
Part Maker part #
Front Longer Brake Lines napa 38541
Front Longer Brake Lines raybestos bh38541
Rear Longer brake lines napa 38688
Rear Longer brake lines Wagner f 120870
Rear Longer brake lines bendix 78351
Rear Longer brake lines raybestos bh38688
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ford front shock towers (weld on BTW)
part # E5TZ-18183-A

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got some Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST's and they are LONG!
Get them at AUTO ZONE Part number Gabriel/springfi G63438
They are 19.99 each and measure out at 31" extended and 17.5" compressed!
Not too bad.
The shock tower is the Ford one, they are super long and there part number is:
E5TZ-18183-A

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
1.6 16valve swap

from the donor vehicle get the following......

You will need the engine complete with all of the hoses, pulleys intact. You will need the fan, starter, alternator, coil, air cleaner, exhaust manifold, head pipe, engine room wiring harness, under dash wiring harness, ECM, and speedometer.

In addition to this donor parts list you will also need a high pressure fuel pump, an engine adaptor kit, and slightly taller mounts or shims for the front 4 body mounts in order to provide for hood clearance. The donor vehicles wiring harness will need to be modified for use in the Samurai as well as the Samurai speedometer which will need the speed sensor from the donor vehicle adapted to it.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
some specs :D

Ignition System

Spark Plugs
____Type
________1990 and earlier.................................... NGK BPR-5ES
________1991 and later...................................... NGK BKR-6E
____Gap........................................................... 0.7mm to 0.8mm (0.028 to 0.031 inches)
Timing
____Samurai..................................................... 10 degrees BTDC @ 800 RPM
____Sidekick/Tracker.......................................... 8 degrees BTDC @ 800 RPM
Firing Order....................................................... 1-3-4-2
Cylinder Numbers (drivebelt end first)..................... 1-2-3-4

Valve Clearances

8-valve
____Intake
_______Cold....................................................... 0.13 to 0.17mm (0.005 to 0.007 inch)
_______Hot........................................................ 0.23 to 0.27mm (0.009 to 0.011 inch)
____Exhaust
_______Cold....................................................... 0.016 to 0.20mm (0.006 to 0.008 inch)
_______Hot........................................................ 0.26 to 0.30mm (0.010 to 0.012 inch)
____16-valve (intake and exhaust)
_______Cold....................................................... 0.13 to 0.17mm ( 0.005 to 0.007 inch)
_______Hot........................................................ 0.17 to 0.21mm (0.007 to 0.008 inch)

Compression

Cylinder compression @ 400 RPM
____Standard......................................................____199 psi
____Minimum.......................................................____170 psi
Maximum variation between cylinders.......................____14.2 psi
Oil pressure (warm) ..............................................____42 to 60 psi @ 3000 RPM

Cylinder Head

Warpage limit......................................................____0.05mm (0.002 inch)

Drivebelt Deflection

Alternator ..........................................................____6mm (0.25 inch)
Power steering pump ...........................................____12.5mm (0.5 inch)
Air conditioning compressor....................................____6mm (0.25 inch)

Brake Specs

Disc brake pad lining thickness (minimum) ................____1mm (0.04 inch)
Drum brake shoe lining thickness ............................____1mm (0.04 inch)
Parking brake adjustment......................................____5 to 8 clicks
Brake pedal freeplay.............................................____1 to 8mm (0.04 to 0.32 inch)
Brake pedal height ..............................................____130mm (5.12 inches)

Clutch

Clutch pedal
Freeplay............................................................. 15 to 25mm (o.6 to 1.0 inch)
____Height
________Samurai ................................................. Level w/ brake pedal
________1990 and earlier....................................... 5.0mm (0.2 in)above brake pedal
Clutch release arm freeplay..................................... 0.5 to 1.5mm (0.02 to 0.06 inch)

Steering

Steering wheel freeplay limit.................................... 10 to 30mm (0.40 to 1.2 inches)

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
torque specs :grinpimp:

Engine____________________________Ft-lbs

Spark Plugs..................................................._21
Camshaft cover bolts......................................_3 to 3.5
Intake/exhaust manifold nuts/bolts...................._13.5 to 20
Camshaft sprocket bolt..................................._41 to 46
Cylinder head bolts
____8 valve engine........................................_46 to 50
___16 valve engine
_______Step 1.............................................._25
_______Step 2.............................................._40
_______Step 3.............................................._48 to 50
Crankshaft pulley bolts...................................._7.5 to 9
Crankshaft pulley center bolt
____8 valve engine........................................._52
___16 valve engine........................................._76 to 83
Oil pump gear plate bolts.................................._7 to 8.5
Oil pump-to-block bolts...................................._7 to 8.5
Oil pan bolts/nuts..........................................._7 to 8.5
Flywheel/driveplate bolts.................................._58
Timing belt cover............................................_7 to 8.5
Rear main seal housing bolts............................._8
Rocker arm shaft retaining screws......................_7 to 8.5
Timing belt tensioner bolt................................._17.5 to 21.5
Timing belt tensioner nut.................................._7 to 8.5
Engine mounting center member bolt.................._43
Distributor gear case bolts................................_6 to 7.2
Main bearing cap bolts....................................._36.5 to 41
Connecting rod cap nuts.................................._24 to 26.5

Manual Transmission________________Ft-lbs

Oil fill and drain plugs......................................._20
Transmission-to-engine bolts/nuts
____Samurai.................................................._16 to 25
____Sidekick/Tracker......................................._51 to 72
Input shaft bearing retainer bolts......................._14 to 20
Shift lever retainer bolts (Samurai)....................._30 to 60 in-lbs

Auto Transmission__________________Ft-lbs

Transmission-to-engine bolts and nuts................_62
Torque converter-to-driveplate bolt..................._62
Oil pan bolts.................................................._9

Transfer Case______________________Ft-lbs

Transfer case-to-transmission nuts....................._20
Shift lever case center bolt..............................._60 in-lbs
Shift lever case bolts
____Sidekick.................................................._144 in-lbs
____Tracker..................................................._20
Samurai Transfer case flange nut........................_80 to 108 lbs

Clutch and Drivetrain__________________Ft-lbs

Pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts.............................._14 to 20
Driveshaft nuts and bolts
____Samurai........................................................_17 to 22
____Sidekick and Tracker......................................._36 to 43
Freewheeling hub
____Manual locking
_______Hub body bolts........................................._15 to 22
_______Hub cover bolts........................................_72 to 109 in-lbs
____Automatic locking
_______Hub body bolts........................................._15 to 21
Kingpin bolts (Samurai).........................................._15 to 22
Pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts.............................._14 to 20
Front wheel bearing nut (Samurai)..........................._96 to 132 in-lbs
Front wheel bearing lock nut (Samurai)....................._43 to 65
Driveaxle flange bolt and nut (Sidekick/Tracker)........._29 to 43
Front axle housing mounting bolts (Sidekick/Tracker)
____Left side......................................................._37
____Right side......................................................_37
____Rear............................................................._37
Front wheel bearing locknut (Sidekick/Tracker)
____1992 and earlier (all models)............................._89 to 148
____1993 and later
_______Tracker..................................................._155
_______Sidekick..................................................._180
Differential carrier bolts
____Samurai........................................................_20
____Sidekick/Tracker............................................._41
Differential drain plugs
____Front............................................................_32
____Rear............................................................._36
Brake backing plate bolts/nuts................................._14 to 20
Wheel lug nuts......................................................

Suspension_______________________________Ft-lbs

Front Suspension_
Samurai
____Leaf spring U-bolt nuts..........................................._44 to 58
____Leaf spring shackle pin nut......................................_22 to 40
____Leaf spring eye-to-frame bolt.................................._33 to 50
Sidekick and Tracker
____Front strut/shock absorber upper mounting nuts.........._14 to 22
____Front strut/shock absorber-to-steering knuckle nuts...._58 to 75
____Lower control arm
_______Front nut........................................................._50 to 75
_______Rear nut.........................................................._65 to 100
____Balljoint stud nut...................................................._32 to 50
____Balljoint-to-lower arm nuts......................................._50 to 75
____Spindle-to-steering knuckle bolts..............................._29 to 43
Rear Suspension_
Samurai
____Leaf spring U-bolt nuts............................................_44 to 58
____Leaf spring shackle pin nut......................................._22 to 40
____Leaf spring eye-to-frame bolt..................................._33 to 50
Sidekick and Tracker
____Rear balljoint boss bolts..........................................._29 to 43
____Upper arm bolts......................................................_58 to 72
____Proportioning stay bolts..........................................._17
____Trailing rod nuts....................................................._58 to 72

Steering__________________________Ft-lbs

Steering wheel nut........................................_18 to 28
Steering gear mounting bolts..........................._51 to 65
Intermediate shaft pinch bolt.........................._14 to 22
Pitman arm-to-steering gear nut......................_101 to 129
Tie-rod end ballstud nut................................._22 to 40
Steering shaft rubber joint bolts......................._11 to 18
Pitman arm nut............................................._101 to 129
Drag link nut (Samurai)..................................._22 to 50
Center link nut (Sidekick/Tracker)....................._22 to 50
Idler arm nut (Sidekick/Tracker)......................._50 to 72
Steering knuckle seal retainer bolts..................._96 in-lbs

Fuel and Exhaust___________________Ft-lbs

Fuel pump-to-cylinder head nuts........................_7 to 11.5
Carb/throttle body mounting nuts/bolts..............._13.5 to 20
O2 sensor......................................................_40

Cooling____________________________Ft-lbs

Fan clutch-to-water pump nuts........................._6 to 8.5
Thermostat housing bolts................................._7 to 12
Water pump-to-block bolts..............................._7 to 9

Brakes____________________________Ft-lbs

Brake bleeder screw........................................_8
Brake hose-to-caliper inlet fitting bolt................_14 to 18
Caliper carrier bolts........................................._51 to 72
Caliper mounting bolts....................................._18 to 20
Master cylinder mounting nuts..........................._7 to 12
Power brake booster mounting nuts...................._7 to 12
Wheel cylinder mounting bolts..........................._6 to 9

Body____________________________Ft-lbs

Door_
____Glass stud nut..........................................._4
____Hinge bolt................................................._26
____Handle nut................................................_4
____Latch screw.............................................._7
Front door vent window screw............................_1
Rear door stationary glass channel frame screw....._1
Hood hinge bolt................................................_23
Lift gate
____Hinge bolt................................................._7
____Latch screw.............................................._7
____Striker screw............................................._22
Front seat frame-to-floor nut.............................._18
Rear seat-to-seat back cushion hinge bolt............._33
Safety belt anchor bolt......................................_36

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Capacities :)

Engine Oil............................................................__4.4 litres
Cooling system.....................................................__5 litres
Fuel tank.............................................................__40.1 litres
Differential lubricant
____Samurai
_______Front.......................................................__2 litres
_______Rear........................................................__1.5 litres
____Sidekick/Tracker
_______Front.......................................................__1 litre
_______Rear........................................................__2.1 litres
Manual transmission lubricant
____Samurai........................................................__1.5 litres
____Sidekick/Tracker.............................................__1.8 litres
Automatic transmission fluid....................................__2.8 litres
Transfer case lubricant
____Samurai........................................................__1 litre
____Sidekick/Tracker.............................................__2 litres

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
suzuki rollover info from...rolloverlawyer.com

Suzuki Samurai Rollover History

The Suzuki Samurai was first marketed in the U.S. in 1986 and was sold as a four-wheel drive light utility/sport vehicle in either a convertible or a hardtop body style. The Samurai was marketed exclusively in the continental U.S. by Suzuki of America Automotive Corporation and in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Island by Suzuki Motor Company, Ltd. The SJ410 was sold by Suzuki Motor Company in its marketing territory from April 1981 to the present as a four-wheel drive in a convertible, hardtop or truck configuration. The LJ80 four wheel drive vehicle was similarly marketed by Suzuki Motor Company, Ltd., from style. Neither the SJ410 nor the LJ80 were equipped with stabilizer bars or roll-bar assemblies. Even twenty years later, Suzuki vehicles appear to be some of the smallest light utility/sport vehicles ever marketed in the U.S. The LJ80 and SJ410 are more closely related to each other than to the Samurai. Although neither SJ410 are more closely related to each other than to the Samurai. Although neither SJ410 nor the LJJ80 were originally sold in the continental U.S., it appears that some of the vehicles may be have been brought into the continental U.S. from the islands or Canada.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
more from rolloverlawyer.com :D

Suzuki Samurai Rollover Concerns

When Suzuki unveiled the Samurai, safety experts were shocked that Suzuki would have introduced a vehicle with the same rollover tendencies as the AMC Jeep CV-5 and CJ-7. American Suzuki Motor Corporation however, defends the attacks, charging that the testing procedures used by Consumer Reports and others were biased and completely inaccurate and in fact called such statements concerning the Samurai's high propensity to rollover as defamatory and Suzuki claimed that the rollover tests used were altered to cause the Samurai to rollover. Consumer Reports responded that there were no alterations in the test, as it is the same test as used to test Samurai's competitors.

Suzuki Samurai Rollover Propensity - Recall Proposed

The Samurai was marketed and sold as a vehicle not for off road use, but instead for highway use. In fact the advertisement on the car buying public was showed the Samurai as a great vehicle for highway trips and commuting to work. The problem however was the vehicle has a high center of gravity and unstable driving characteristics making it not fit or suitable for day to day commuting. The high ground clearance, short wheelbase, narrow track and stiff suspension makes the Samurai somewhat tricky to handle and can behave abnormally in normal accident avoidance maneuvers.
Soon after the first Samurai's started to rollover and cause injuries and deaths, consumer groups demanded the recall of the Suzuki Samurai. The recall debate started after the vehicle was given the "not acceptable" ruling by Consumer Reports. A recall unfortunately can not make and fix the problem is inherent in its design, "The only way to fix it is to make the vehicle longer, wider and heavier." The Center for Auto Safety petitioned the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to recall the Suzuki Samurai because of safety problems. However, NHTSA on September 1, 1988, denied the request by the Center for Auto Safety to recall the Suzuki Samurai. The Agency agreed to establish a rollover standard for cars and light trucks. Suzuki's continued to sell and market the 1989 model year, with sales as low as 2,000 per month compared to 10,000-12,000 per month a year earlier.

#24 ·
Suzuki Samurai - Office of Defects Investigations

In August 1988, the Office of Defects Investigation with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported a review-of the 113 report Suzuki vehicle rollovers indicated the following:

1) All fatal first event Samurai rollovers involved ejection
2) The average time to failure/time of ownership was less than 8 months, ranging from 2 to 15 months
3) The driver was cited by police in approximately 50 percent of police reported rollovers
4) Alcohol was involved in 50 percent of rollovers described in police reports
5) Where the age of the driver was known, 73 percent of the reported drivers were 25 years old or younger, The oldest driver involved in a single vehicle rollover was 43 years old
6) Limited visibility due to darkness occurred in at least 58 percent of the rollovers
7) There is no seasonal influence (winter, spring, summer, or fall)
8) The average reported travel speed was 37 mph, ranging from 10 to 65 mph.
9) The average reported mileage was 13,090 miles, ranging from 1,618 to 34,000 miles
10) Female drivers accounted for 44 percent of the reported rollovers
11) Weekend rollovers accounted for 44 percent of the reports
12) California accounted for more than twice the number of rollovers as any other state (20 percent versus Florida's 9 percent)
13) A wet or icy roadway or excessively windy road conditions occurred in approximately 29 percent of the rollover

It was also determined that when a rollover occurred, the rollover was reportedly preceded by:
1. Loss of control (i.e., spun) - 25 percent
2. Left roadway, straight road - 18 percent
3. Left roadway, cornering/turning - 20 percent
4. Obstacle avoidance maneuver - 15 percent
5. Ramped (struck obstacle) - 8 percent

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
Suzuki Sidekick & Geo Tracker Roll In

Due to declining sales and threats of continued litigation, Suzuki in 1989 phased out the Samurai and introduced in 1989, the Suzuki Sidekick. Though the Samurai and Sidekick look very similar the Sidekick is 4 inches wider and 200 lbs. heavier than the Samurai is. Built in the new joint Suzuki/GM CAMI factory in Canada, they were briefly powered by the Samurai's 1.3-liter engine, but were soon equipped with a stroked version of that engine, displacing 1590cc and producing 80 horsepower with 8 valves and throttle body fuel injection. The Sidekick's "Identical Twin" the Geo Tracker was sold and marketed through General Motor's dealers in the U.S. The problem with rollover propensity though was not resolved, as the Sidekick and the Geo Tracker, still are tall, lightweight narrow utility vehicles that due to this combination will not escape rollover accidents, but is a vast improvement to the more unstable Suzuki Samurai.

Also sold as the Suzuki Escudo in Asia, the Suzuki Vitara in Europe and Australia, the Suzuki Sidekick, Chevrolet, Geo, and GM Tracker in North America, and the Asuna Sunrunner in the South Pacific and Canada, the new Suzuki proved to be another very popular vehicle. A little larger than the Samurai, it made use of independent front suspension, coil-sprung rear suspension, an available automatic transmission, and a much nicer interior. In 1991, Suzuki introduced the long-wheelbase, 5-door hardtop version of the Sidekick, expanding the model lineup into even more upscale territory. In 1995 Suzuki introducted for the decidedly more upscale and the sporty Sidekick Sport. Available in the U.S. with an 1.8-liter, 120 horsepower DOHC inline-4 engine with wide 16-inch wheels. But Europe, Asia, and Australia were given an even better version, dubbed the Vitara LWB V6. Its 2.0-liter 24-valve 4-cam V-6 was Suzuki's largest and most powerful engine yet, producing a smooth 134 hp and a broad torque curve. In 1998 Suzuki unveiled convertible and hardtop Vitara and Chevrolet Tracker, and the Grand Vitara.

Suzuki Sidekick & Geo Tracker Rollover Accidents & Roof Crush Injuries

As more and more young and unsuspecting drivers get behind the wheel of Geo Trackers and Sidekicks, the more rollover accidents with devastating injuries from ejections and roof crush or roof pillar collapse will occur. The higher rollover propensity of these SUVs is the simple fact that they have a high center of gravity. This is directly based on it's short wheel base and track width. When you put 4 people in a Sidekick or Geo Tracker, the the maximum load capacity of these SUVs are pushed to the limit. When this happens the center of gravity is raised, as is the chances of a rollover of the Sidekick or Tracker. When a rollover occurs, the roof often will collapse or crush into the occupant zone causing serious head and spinal cord injuies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.