Pirate 4x4 banner

Tool Bag suggestions

3K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Weasel 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have gone through 3 or 4 tool bags that I purchased at Lowes. I am sure it might have to do with the stupid amount of tools I put in there, but does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can get a better one?

Thanks! :flipoff2:

P.S. I dont want want with the external "pockets" as a flying tool might hurt some.

#2 ·
I was looking at the ones at Sears the other day. I was kinda impressed by the hinged mouth design, but I also felt it was too bulky for my needs. Quality seemed decent however, but I don't know exactly what you've been using from Lowe's. There's a Craftsman Club special right now on a set of two of the Craftsman bags for about $17 IIRC.

I just use the cheap black canvas ones from HF, but they don't see much use or abuse.

#7 ·
i have seen and used the canvas bags on that army surplus i dont think u will ever find a tougher longer lasting back the zippers kinda suck but if u can find better zippers have the wife put them in ur good to go and the buttons suck but the bag its self will out last u

#8 ·
I just bought two cotton mechanics bags from the local Army Navy store for $12 each. They had larger tanker bags for $18 each. I separated my hand tools from one way too heavy box into the two bags. One holds sockets, ratchets, extensions, and wrenches. The other contains everything else, screw drivers, pliers, *****, headlamp, tester, etc.

#10 ·
I've got a few basic Craftsman bags that I picked up on black Friday at Sears for like $3 ea. One is my trail tools bag in the rig that has been overloaded then rolled, shaken and beaten repeatedly and its still good as new. My Dad uses another one to haul way more tools than it was ever designed to fit back and forth between the boat, beach house and rental properties.

They seem to have gayed up everything now :shaking: and these are about as close as I can find to them:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...keyword=tool+bag&sid=K-on-Sx20k061224x0000002

#11 ·
They seem to have gayed up everything now :shaking:
ROTFL! I'm still trying to save up for the cool toolbox w the built-in clock, plastic hoopty-ness, and the "rock lights" on the undercarriage. Somehow tho, I keep choosing to spend my money elsewhere.....

But yeah, Craftsman is increasingly striving for form over function.

#14 ·
Funny you should say that. I just went from an ammo can to two bags. I had a few reasons and among them were, the ammo can rusted on the bottom and left a rectangular rust stain on the carpet in her truck, it was LOUD when digging through, I had to dig everything out to get to my sockets (especially the little ones), and most of all, that SOB got HEAVY. I'd ask someone to go grab my "tool box" and they'd about crap themselves trying to pick it up. It wasn't even a large ammo can either. Two bags are serving me well so far and I don't have to dig through punches (sharp), screw drivers, and a battery terminal cleaner to get to my sockets anymore.

#15 ·
Old thread that seems to have some of the best info I've seen for my application.
Does anyone have any other info/experience to share on products they've dealt with within the last 3 years? More specifically I'm looking for tool bags and roll-ups that can be strapped down and used in a racing enviroment.

We ran EMC with Craftsman bags and roll-ups strapped down tight in the back. They did OK in general 'wheeling situations, and in a tool box (blew one side out after about two years), but did not hold up well during the race. At the end of the race the ends had blown out and we had sockets, that were on plastic rails inside the bag, scattered throughout the bed. We were using two Craftsman 14X8X8 bags with probably more tools than we needed in them. Two roll-ups full of wrenches, but loose vise grips, pliers, screwdrivers misc small parts (fuses, hose clamps etc.) The second with a bag of sockets, ratchets, extensions and misc air tools. I realize it was stupid to carry loose tools that had sharp edges in a bag... Leason learned.

That being said I'm looking at Bucket Boss and Dirt Bags products in verious combinations for our next race. These tool bags will also be transfered back to my trail rig, as well as work truck after each race. I have a really good idea of what I need, I just wanted to bring this thread to the top to see what everyones thoughts were now-a-days. I would appreciate the input! Thanks!

#17 ·
That being said I'm looking at Bucket Boss and Dirt Bags products in verious combinations for our next race. These tool bags will also be transfered back to my trail rig, as well as work truck after each race. I have a really good idea of what I need, I just wanted to bring this thread to the top to see what everyones thoughts were now-a-days. I would appreciate the input! Thanks![/QUOTE]

brian i used the dirt bagz in both of my buggys and havent had any problems with them in 5 yrs and im pretty sure you have seen all the shit i carry:Dok wellmaybe joe has seen and used all the shit i carry :flipoff2: i also have 2 mastercraft bags for about 2 1/2 yrs now with no problems either.
so with that said when you comin back to do some wheelin in the great ftown?

#20 ·
brian i used the dirt bagz in both of my buggys and havent had any problems with them in 5 yrs and im pretty sure you have seen all the shit i carry:Dok wellmaybe joe has seen and used all the shit i carry :flipoff2: i also have 2 mastercraft bags for about 2 1/2 yrs now with no problems either.
so with that said when you comin back to do some wheelin in the great ftown?

All the shit you and me carry on the trail and did'nt you still have to go back to your shop to get shit in order to get Joe out?!? Can't remember, it was a long night! :homer: :laughing:
I was also looking at Mastercraft, thanks for the input Randy!

We will probably be back sometime in May, I'll keep you posted!!

#28 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.