Pirate 4x4 banner

This forum needs a Newbies check in here post.

414K views 3K replies 3K participants last post by  serene 
#1 ·
So Newbies.......Check in here :flipoff2:

#3,050 ·
So this is my check in

hey everyone, I was sent here by a friend who has been giving me advice on converting my 1990 Chevy G30 cutaway van into, well basically into my house. He said this is a good place to go for advice on part of the project that he said was over his head.

so here I am. Thanks in advance!

#3,055 ·
New here used to be minimally capable of car stuff like oil changes, break line/pad changes, fuel line/injectors changes. Basic stuff way back before cars became so computerized. It's been about 13 years since I've even changed my own oil. So I'd consider myself a zero experience car louver. But now I've got a boy that's turning 10 and I'd like to start a family project of building a 4x4 3+ seat something that we can tear up the deserts of Nevada with. No idea where our how to even begin. Hoping to find that info somewhere in these forums.

#3,063 ·
Hi, I'm David, an electrician from Montreal who also does custom work and other gigs. I'm signing up here because I'm doing research on axle and differentials for an upcoming custom build and I need to get schooled and taught about what's out there so I can improve my design a step further.

I'm no car mechanic, and only off road I do is mountain biking and dirt roads in my hatchback, but I'm sure that my next build is gonna be worthy of your time. Keep an eye on new threads in the coming weeks to find out more ! Nice to get to join you all :)

#3,068 · (Edited)
Hello Pirate members, long time reader, first time poster and wanted to say hello to the membership.

Tried to fill out all my box'set to remove any doubts and hope I done so correctly.

Seems like a lifetime of wheeling, with a love of all things that idle and romp. I'm for the most part a trial and error, self taught fella and feel lucky to have watched some very good wrench turners and enjoyed watching the WWW expand my mindset exponentially.

I'm a current and former owner of Square Body Chevy's in the 1 Ton variety, have an affliction for Jeeps and my love of automobiles was initiated at a very early age, then grew greatly while reading through the pages of auto magazines and my local off roading trips that began in the late 70's.

I'm not one to speak without knowing, but I am one to ask questions to remove my doubt. I will speak if it adds to the discussion and will frequently be a sponge as I've done for many years here. This site has incredible depth and we are all very lucky for such.

Looking forward and best wishes.

#3,069 ·
I'm a noob. Guilty as charged.

I've lurked on here for years and finally signed up. I live in SoCal now, and wheel an 82 Blazer with light mods. I like anything to do with square body Chevys, and used to daily drive a 79 Corvette when I lived in Utah. Can't plate the car in L.A., so it is waiting for me in storage back in UT.

Engineer by trade, moved to CA for work.

#3,073 ·
New guy

Just signed up. Been reading threads on the forum for a while now, and am well acquainted with the search function!

Just bought a toy, an'86 K2500, it is sitting relatively close to stock right now. 350, th400, np208c, corporate 10 bolt, corporate 14 bolt full float. It doesn't need much right now as it sits, front drive shaft is shot and has to be replaced before too many miles are put on, windshield, and a bunch of small miscellaneous things.

Playing with different thoughts and ideas for the truck, likely to evolve over the next 20 years, and take that long to finish! In any case it is likely to get a 6" suspension lift/3" body lift, 38's, 205, Dana 60 front. It will see some sort of standard tranny, considering an sm465, NV5600, and an Eaton roadranger 9 speed. If I go with the latter tranny I am considering a 4bt engine swap with it. As far as I know the 9speed has an ISO #2 bellhousing and I have been told the 12 valve has as well... But I have yet to confirm this.

The truck will be used for hunting, running the odd errand around town, going to the lumber yard and the like, and a great vehicle to take the wife out on dates in! Will likely see a trailer or two behind it over the course of it's life and will see a wide variety of use infrequently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.