Pirate 4x4 banner

I need more room in my Superduty.

15K views 105 replies 43 participants last post by  kc8ksg 
#1 ·
I bought an 08 F350 CC KR Superduty last fall. I have a Cummins 6.7 almost ready to swap into it.

I put 18,000 miles on this truck since I got it. Mostly long trips. About 40% work and 60% pleasure. 90% of those miles were not towing a trailer. We have a 13K 5th wheel that we pull 6-10,000 miles every summer.

We frequently use the truck for family trips, because the car we have only seats 4.

Here is the problem.

The cab on this truck seats 5.

With me, my wife, 2 kids, a dog and my mother in law (to babysit), the cab is full. Even if we don't take my MIL, if we have another child. Its full again. Even if we don't have another child, as soon as one of our kids wants to take a friend, its full again.

Some of you are going to say, get an SUV or a minivan. But then how do we pull the trailer ? And when we go skiing or mountain biking we don't have enough external storage. And I absolutely need a truck for things other than pulling the trailer anyway, so... ??????

Who else has this problem and how did you get around it ?

Please, no MDT suggestions, because like I said above, 90% of the winter miles are without a trailer and there is no way I am running around with an MDT just to take the family somewhere.

I need an Excursion with a bed and a 5th wheel hitch !

Ideas ?

See less See more
#33 ·
I wasn't purposely ignoring you, MT.

The SUV solution would require us selling our 5er and I love that thing. Its not going to happen.

Plus, you can't get a motorhome with a floor plan like our 5er, plus motorhomes are way more expensive, they depreciate faster, etc.

If I had to make a decision on this immediately, I'd graft an extended cab onto the back of the crew cab and swap the long box for a short box on the truck I have now. The wheel base would stay roughly the same, if not exactly the same.

I'm going to let this stew for a while.

#34 ·
Sorry, I'm back to thinking pay cash for a 1/2T Suburban for hauling people and going skiing, mtn biking, etc. Drive it as a primary rig for these purposes instead of remodeling your existing rig. Take it as a 2nd rig with your SD/5th on camping trips.

I know you use your SD for work hauling. A remodel isn't necessary for this stuff when I assume it's just you or you and a passenger at most.

How many miles are you running down the road pulling your 5th wheel RV and hauling the entire family with you? This is probably the biggest question that will affect peoples' responses.

#35 ·
I used to work for a Search Engine Optimization company and have personally talked to tim of http://www.customautosbytim.com .... super nice guy he was on our free service level and didnt really need any help .... wound up getting in trouble from my boss cause i spent too long bullshitting with him ... if you do go this route hell do you right

#37 · (Edited)
he'll never buy an MDT. That is a documented fact.

one of the old centurion van/5th wheel haulers with your fancy new cummins stuffed in it might be the ticket:
http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board...982-Centurion-Van-Truck-Conversion-(Camarillo)

http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board...**1982-custom-van-dualy-truck***-(murrysville)

threda with brochure/interior pictures:
http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?7427-E350-CABRIOLET-general-info

they had the one ton running gear. Good luck finding oe that's not rotten where the fiberglass meets the steel.

#64 ·
OP is never happy.

which is odd considering he goes on vacations with his MIL.
Bingo. This guy ^ right here ^ is on to something. Just solved fifteen or sixteen pages worth of ME2's threads.

#65 ·
No B.S., take two vehicles. From the time I was old enough to drive my family never took one vehicle anywhere. Dad drove the rv, mom rode with him, and I had to drive my little brother and sister. If I were you it'd be me and the dog pulling the fifth wheel and everybody else following in a minivan.

#70 ·
I did 18,000 miles since November in my "stupid" Superduty. Not practical to do that with an MDT is it ?

My last CC Superduty had a 60/40 front seat. I know all about 6 people in a SD.

My dad had a 2010 F150, so I know about them too. An F150 still only seats 5 people with seat belts. Why the hell people keep suggesting them is beyond me.

Two vehicles is the most practical answer. Done deal.

#73 ·
The head up the assedness brings on huge funny to me!
I think if I was as hung up on the 1 ton being the perfect solution to all towing needs, for all mankind, and anyone that thought different was an idiot, I sure wouldn't post up that I needed more room in my 1 ton!
But that is just me.
Does me2 ride a bicycle to work by chance??

#75 · (Edited)
Our Megacab fits 6 adults and there is plenty of room for our 90 pound dog to sit on the floor in front of the rear seat without disturbing the kids in the back. 99% of the time when we are towing a trailer we put the dog in the trailer. We tow a 40' 5th wheel with a Pull-rite automatic sliding hitch so the bed length is not a problem. If it was there are companies out there that will put a long bed on a Megacab for about 5k.

I can't remember if this was mentioned, but it is legal in many states to have people riding in a 5th wheel as long as there are seat belts available. This is not legal in a bumper pull.

This post has been deleted
#102 ·
This. Buy/Make a dolly (I know they exist, I've seen several RV haulers (p/u's) pulling one 5'er hooked to a dolly hooked to a 5'er in the lead) and you'll have more room, and keep your precious 5'er...

Done.

#94 ·
It can'e be a sleeper, it is too narrow. DOT regulations on sleeper width would make it stick out a couple inches on either side. Could be a non DOT sleeper for a midget...

It is not connected to the truck cab, you can see that through the rear window in the cab.

If I had to guess, it is just storage, like the L-pack you see on some small dump trucks.

I bet someone ordered the longest wheelbase F550 crew cab they could, then had a body shop buddy make them a pimp tool box to fill in the difference. A lot of people in that era got the shortest cab-axle they could, but it still left 4 inches between the cab and the back of the bed - filler panel, shorten the frame, new bed, something had to be done. This guy took the tool box route :smokin:

Camper size: Fawking huge!

#95 · (Edited)
It can'e be a sleeper, it is too narrow. DOT regulations on sleeper width would make it stick out a couple inches on either side. Could be a non DOT sleeper for a midget...
Hmmm? Joking or what because I've seen plenty of narrow sleepers. The cowtowns posted earlier aren't any wider. Or early OTR truck sleepers for that matter. Just instead of the berth opening through the window (which is horrible too get in anyway), it has a normal outside door. I don't really know what DOT guidelines, if any, aftermarket pickup truck sleeper companies are really following though.

Regardless, that's where I'd be keeping the mother in law throughout the trip since it appears sealed off from the rest of the cab.

#97 ·
He obviously does not want a solution as many have been posted here. Just click Google next time and figure it out for yourself. As mentioned before anyone that allows their MIL to sit up front with them on any trip more than 5 miles obviously has no decision making ability. If I was faced with that I would have made a decision on a bigger truck or an additional vehicle long before turning to Pirate for answers....

Also explains why he has to get on here and go off on everyone that does not agree with him because at home he takes orders from his wife and her mother so this is the only way he can feel better about himself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.