Pirate 4x4 banner

PTO's anyone using theirs?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  chef 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone actually has anything connected to the PTO on their LC? Winch, generator, etc. Also if anyone knows whether or not the US spec 100 series LC has a PTO connection?

#2 ·
I run a factory PTO on mine, as a lot of us do around here. Eliminate the shear pins, and it will outpull an electric any day. As long as you are running :D
I have had an electric, and would put one on the back, but the PTO just pulls stronger for the front. The cruiser is a heavy vehicle, and even 8274's can stall trying a hard pull. After you eliminate the pins, it will pull until it breaks a cable.
Had it on for a year, and love it.

With the pins in, it is pretty weak, and will break them on pretty easy pulls.

The only one I know of dying was a friend skidding huge logs with it, and the box let go.

#3 ·
How do you eliminate the sheer pin?? I busted my first one on the last run i was on and got 4 more of them from Toyota for $2.50 each. I know it's the weak point of the winch. Do you run stock cruiser gear?? I'm planning on going sm465 with the AA adaptor to keep my PTO winch, has anyone done this setup?? In the AA catalogue it says that their adaptors will work if the PTO shaft is on the driver side which mine is. But i have been hearing that the spud shaft is not long enough?? Anyone can atest to this?

Travis

#5 ·
My friend did the setup for me, I will have to ask him what exactly he did.
I know it involves taking apart the winch, turning over a gear, and making a keyway, but I don't know the specifics. We also made some shafts, and got a pillow block from NAPA. I will ask him tonight. He (and another) friend run SM420's and the factory PTO, so the AA adapter works for that, but I don't know about the 465.

#6 ·
Alright it will work for the sm465 because it's the same deal with the AA adaptor. If you could get that write up that would be good, might be note worthy for ih8mud.com :p My PTO winch came with everything except the factory throttle inside the cab and the little flap for the pto lever inside the cab as well. I might be able to land the little flap which would be nice. If you could get pictures that would be great. My PTO has been modified around the drum to keep the cable from coming off. I'll get some pictures later to show you.

Travis

#7 ·
For removing the shear pin, you can drill out the yolk and winch input for a standard bolt. I believe 5/16ths, you'll know what size is best before drilling by looking at the existing hole. If you use a grade 5 or 8, the winch will pull until it breaks the cable.

I would recommend if you do this mod however that you install plasma rope and ditch the wire rope, much safer.

#8 ·
good call with the rope. I guess that toyota cable (which I used until it broke) has a fiber core, as it broke under HEAVY load, and fell to the ground harmlessly. The cable on my PTO looked as though it had never been spooled out, and was in great shape, but lasted until the first really tough pull.
I will get some pics tomorrow.

#9 ·
Cool deal I'll have to look into that. My cable is not the factory toyota cable it has been replaced by the PO so i'm okay in the section, except for the fact that it has a bing ass kink in it from one cruiser run where i had to yank 5 cruisers up a mud hill. Thanks for the info.

Travis

#10 ·
PTO gearbox uses: I have know someone using the box to turn a hydraulic pump to power a hydraulic winch head...Pto powered mixmaster would be nice at camp:) I see some of you are eliminating the shear pin, and haven't had nightmare-ish results... yet. I highly recommend against this. The winch head gears in the toyota unit are bronze, and often the result of eliminating the shear pin is stripping out the gears in the winch head-they're pretty much non-replaceable without buying a whole other winch head...As far as running one on an sm420, the easiest way to get it done is to get an sm420 compatable chelsea pto drive, and use it instead of worrying about one off the transfer case. That way you can use a plate adapter instead of AA's driveline space eater. Get one from spaceghost and save $500 over AA';s unit as well...

#12 ·
Dunno about breakage...yet :D
I have three or four friends who have have this setup for a few years. Nothing broken yet except for my cable.

Like anything else...it can, and probably will, break in time. Do wrecker PTO and industrial ptos use shear pins? Dozers or skiders use them? Maybe the shear pins they use would be a better solution? I would think aside from the cable, the nest break point would be the u joint before the winch head? Have you seen a head go south?
Christ...I am all concerned now.:eek:

Took some pics today of my setup, but the really didn't show how it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.