Pirate 4x4 banner

KOH Formula Toy Class

32K views 239 replies 47 participants last post by  zman2day 
#1 ·
Who would be interested in racing there Formula Toy in the 2013 KOH Every Man Challenge?

Same F-toy rules with the exception of allowing rebuild-able shocks and possibly approved after market IFS parts.

#7 · (Edited)
Fuck no! :laughing:

I love my FToy and I love being at the races, but I learned at the one and only race I've ever run (a 100-miler in 2010) that I'm not competitive enough to want to drive my body and my rig hard enough to make even a decent showing.

If there is an FToy class at KOH 13, I will absolutely be your radio relay man. :grinpimp:
...and if you need to cannibalize my rig for parts to be in the race, that's fine, too...as long as I can get transportation to the top of Fissure on race day.

#18 ·
Would a linked FToy fit in stock mod, or do you have to stay with factory-style suspension?

If it fits stock-mod with links, then I wouldn't advocate staying on leafs.

Engine really isn't the slowest link in the FToy scenario--the suspension is. I spent a lot of time in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in high range. Probably should have spent more time in 3rd-4th-5th 2.28 low, but engine still wouldn't have been the thing holding me back.

Air bumps are a must.
Rebuildable/tunable shocks a close 2nd.
Coilovers and being able to easily change spring rate while tuning your shock valving a not-too-distant 3rd.

Engine a distant 4th. Notice that desertoy, Hobie, and Robert/Roxy only went turbos after their suspensions let them go fast enough to use them.

I'd put a Diamond or Ruffstuff front housing above engine, too.

#19 ·
I'd put a Diamond front housing above engine, too.
:laughing: Thats called a rollover! I wouldnt put that on MY list in a race! :eek::laughing:

#21 ·
I was actually going to see if I could sit down and chat with a couple ftoy guys at the jambo, and toss around some ideas like this.

The main things people have been looking at in the last couple years:
rear links
turbo
tuned shocks
air bumps
linked front
disco/cutting brakes

Rather than allow all, and totally change what an ftoy has been, my idea was to make up a list, that you could choose 2 of 6 kind of thing. So one team could run a rear links, and shocks in front. Another could run tuned shocks and air bumps. Something that would help revive the ftoy class, potentially let it go into werock, and get an active class back there too. A bit of the logic, I wouldnt have an issue competing with tuned shocks and turbo against someone with coilovers and linked, but no turbo.

#22 ·
That's a really cool concept, Brian.
KOH and Ultra4 racing have made everyone want to go faster--even in their trailrigs. Not like we didn't already want to go fast, but when all your friends had similar equipment restrictions, it wasn't ever tough for our nimble little FToys to keep up--on the trail or even on the trail to the rock trail.

Now you get that one guy in your club/group who is an aspiring Ultra4 racer and the arms race begins. Do you keep your FToy what we know as "comp legal" for WE-Rock, or do you go links and coils and have more fun bombing across the desert?

KOH has struck a huge blow to people's interest in WE-Rock. Allowing FToys to better bridge the gap is a good idea, IMHO, in everyone's interests.

Would it be a tech hassle for Ultra4?
Who would police whether the 2 of 6 rules were being followed? FToy class, or Ultra4?

For ease of fitting within Ultra4 EMC, make sure the allowable new FToy regulations stay within EMC Stock Mod guidelines.

#24 ·
Would it be a tech hassle for Ultra4?
Who would police whether the 2 of 6 rules were being followed? FToy class, or Ultra4?.
Anyone can protest another car. Anyone running an ftoy, and looks at another, none of the major changes would be concealable. If someone shows up with a turbo, and links (i see links and coilovers/airshocks as 2, links and tuned shocks), they are obviously running 3. Arguably you could try to hide the turbo, but quick run through tech, and it would be obvious.

#25 · (Edited)
I agree.

I'm just playing "Devil's Advocate" unofficially on behalf of U4.
I want to see this go ahead, and want to make sure we work our own bugs out and Hendricks can hand them a plan ready to go.

I'm jacked to see this happen, and know it could mean a lot more chassis sales for Mike. :smokin:
If an FToy wins stock mod EMC, the value of our own buggies goes up, right? :evil:

Links and tuned shocks go hand in hand. If you go front links (#1) and rear links (#2), it's kind of impossible to do without using tuned shocks (#3), isn't it?

Or does one have to choose front links + tuned shocks or rear links + tuned shocks?
Do we have to roll a 20-sided die to choose? :laughing:

#26 ·
Links and tuned shocks go hand in hand. If you go front links (#1) and rear links (#2), it's kind of impossible to do without using tuned shocks (#3), isn't it?

Or does one have to choose front links + tuned shocks or rear links + tuned shocks?
Do we have to roll a 20-sided die to choose? :laughing:
:confused: Yeah youre right. But hey Im just throwing an idea out there, I didnt say it was a refined idea! Maybe just stick to leaves, and say you can have 1?

#29 · (Edited)
back almost 10 years ago, Mike talked about 2 ftoys classes. one stock and one modified.

BUT until there is a ton of stock ftoys in a class, there wont be a modified class.

so for next year, IF there is a ftoy class, look for it to only be stock.

and look for the rules to very close to what they are now. the rules had nothing to do with WEROCK, camo wrote the rules to keep them simple. that's the whole idea behind this car.

and don't look for links to be allowed. i doubt they will. there are way to many people going fast in the desert on leafs to complain about them.if you want links, build a JK

the things that i would like to see allowed, TURBO (its cheap and easy). its also kind of saftey hazard when your stock 22r won't let you get up a sand hill on course and you stall out with the v8 guys running up behind you. and if you don't allow turbos, then the money guys will just build a $10k 22r stroker motor, and that will take all the fun out of the class. a low budget guy can take a stock 22r and turbo it and get the same HP out of it that a $10k 22r can get. roughly.

rebuildable shocks is key to tuning. and air bumps.

just those 3 things.

#37 ·
I would like to see F-Toy allow newer generation models. For Example, a 2000 Tacoma frame with IFS and a 3.4 liter V-6 hooked to an F-Toy chassis.
Mike, have you looked to see if a newer Tacoma frame would work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.