Pirate 4x4 banner

First AR build, got a few questions.

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  jhama78 
#1 · (Edited)
After reading about them and watching assembly vids I decided that for the first one that I am going to build a beater/stock AR/M16 thatll run most any ammo with few if any 'tacticool' parts on it.

Ive always liked the look of military issue rifles and decided on this a couple of months ago when I saw it on sarco's site - http://e-sarcoinc.com/originalcoltgim16a2completepartssets.aspx (at the time it was $465)

I reasoned that for my first build Id just buy the kit and a stripped lower and put it together. Just so Id know what it takes to put one together and to become familiar with the rifle. That way in the future Ill have a baseline build for the next one which will more than likely not be an off the shelf gun. Also buying a complete kit takes the guesswork out of what parts I need simplifying the process.

I ordered two Surplus Arms and Ammo stripped lowers last week for 60 bux apiece from here - http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1SASL Then when I went back to look at the A2 kit Ifound out that the pice had jumped from 465 to 495 and they were shown as temporarily out of stock.

That being said, where can I find a similar all inclusive kit? I know that somebody will say that I could buy parts and pieces and get the same or similar gun for cheaper, but for the first one Id like to go with something similar to the link I posted. Ive done some looking around and have found other kits but know nothing about them and dont want to end up with a complete pile of shit/ waste of money. (insert you are wasting your money building this style rifle comment :D) I guess a better question to pose would be what similar guns have you all put together along the lines of the link I posted above?

I know its a bottom of the barrel gun and Im ok with that... I just want to build a basic intro level rifle for target shooting and for the experience of assembling one.

Thanks in advance for any info, flaming, donations, criticism, naked pictures of bea arthur, football helmets full of cottage cheese, corrections to my terminology , or other general asshattery. :flipoff2: :grinpimp:

:flamesuit on:

See less See more
#7 ·
Ive been collecting parts for a while now and recently bought a new upper from a vendor on a local gun board. Its a 20" flat top with a 1:9 Wilson Barrel. Upper was forged by BAFE. I also ordered an A2 Stock assy and a 6 position stock so I could finish off both of my lowers. I grabbed a couple of LPKs from PSA a while back so they were already done. I picked up a removable carry handle from my stepdad and am planning on using that for a while until I learn to shoot with iron sights. Anyway, here are a couple of crappy pics of my pile of parts on each lower last night after I put it together. It should be just fine for a plinker, and to let me know how I want to build the 2nd lower. Although Im already eyeing a full length skeleton stock to replace the A2 buttstock... and Im sure this is just the beginning of another expensive hobby... :laughing:

Table Automotive exterior Bumper Furniture Games

Gun Rifle Machine gun Airsoft gun Shotgun

#9 ·
:laughing: So I can assume that it wont fatigue the hammer spring leaving it charged and safe while its stored?

Thanks for answering my newb question.:grinpimp:

#11 ·
Spring info duly noted... thats what I get for over-fawking thinking things... :rolleyes::grinpimp:

Thanks for the compliments. :smokin:

#12 ·
Just because it's a habit from working in an arms room....

Clear weapon, then put on fire, squeeze trigger, stick in safe.

When weapon is removed from safe clear weapon, last step of this process is to put it on safe.

#13 ·
Since I have you guys here in my thread for a minute, what are your standard practices for seasoning a barrel/ break in?

From the little bit of reasearch Ive done this is more or less what Ive found...

Clean and lube bolt, then swab barrel/chamber.

Shoot 1 then swab for 5 rounds

Shoot 3 round bursts then swab for 30 rounds

Shoot a full mag then clean.

Sound acceptable?!?!?

Thanks.

#16 ·
Since I have you guys here in my thread for a minute, what are your standard practices for seasoning a barrel/ break in?

From the little bit of reasearch Ive done this is more or less what Ive found...

Clean and lube bolt, then swab barrel/chamber.

Shoot 1 then shoot for 5 rounds

Shoot 3 round bursts then shoot for 30 rounds

Shoot a full mag then shoot a full mag.

Sound acceptable?!?!?

Thanks.
yes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.