Pirate 4x4 banner

Trail Conditions 2012, look at first entry for updated conditions!

77K views 396 replies 113 participants last post by  resqme 
#1 · (Edited)
Currently, updated December 29th, 2012, the trail conditions are:

Loon trailhead: Lots of new snow, very powdery, three to five feet of it. Until it settles, this will make for very difficult travel, don't expect to make a specific destination! Expect to use your winch. A lot. Being cold at night, ice may be a traction issue. Remember, bring at least 200' of cable and extension!

Wentworth Springs trailhead: Same as Loon. No specific update as no one has gone too much past Airport Flats to my knowledge.

Tahoe trailhead: Same as Loon.

This time of year, well built and maintained rigs with larger tires, winches, lots of extrication equipment (xtra straps and cable, clevis, snatch block, etc.), communications (ham or satellite) and lockers should be your plan if you want to wheel in the high country from now until spring. Expect overnight temps in the 20's or lower, come prepared with good gear and extra clothing. Remember there are very few folks on the trail this time of year...you have to be able to help yourself!

Always carry a toilet...Wag Bag it!

Fire restrictions lifted, so fire permits are no longer necessary :)

Hope this helps.

See less See more
#251 · (Edited)
So what does the weather look like up there this weekend? My phone (weather channel) on a nearby location says 30% of rain Sat.

I used the link below as well, got it from someone here on the board I think, and has no rain forecast this weekend. I'm just trying to figure out if I need to install my half soft top or just a small bikini top will do.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...769897461&site=sto&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

#253 · (Edited)
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...309570312&site=sto&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Saturday:
A 30 percent chance of showers before 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 47. South southwest wind between 9 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 39. South southwest wind between 8 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 56. South southwest wind between 10 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 41.

Monday: Sunny, with a high near 51.

#263 ·
it's in a different spot from your pic
Anybody got pic's of Big sluice? The rock with the tree in it.
I noticed 4 or 5 holes drilled in the top of it. (Is DOT blasting it?)
Later somebody said it was broken in half and the tree is gone.
holes were there saturday along with the tree

#306 · (Edited)
We didn't get pics but the tree is down and rock cracked and the down hill side fell into the trail. We did cut the tree into pieces also.
I saw the holes drilled but the tree and rock was still up Saturday around noon.

Why was the tree cut exactly? And how did the rock crack and roll down the hill?
There was a tree down across the trail on Big Sluice, so I cut it!! How the rock cracked? I have no idea. It didn't roll down the hill, it rolled into the trail.
yes thats the tree.. and rock.. it had holes drilled on Saturday. Dont know about it now.. It is a tight squeeze..
Just to clarify about the rock in the big sluice, it fell on its own. The county had nothing to do with it. It actually made the trail more difficult as the slab is now in the trail. The tree fell along with the rock. The county won't be to big sluice for a month or two. Please don't blame the county.
Since these rocks do contribute to trail conditions, I have an additional observation. I know someone else must be wondering.

If the rock fell on its own, what is with the holes drilled in it?

Perhaps there are other interests besides the County enhancing the trail conditions. Just perhaps.

#273 ·
that was one of the few good spots to get flexed out for a good pic left on this trail. I hate the fact that we will be dodging 10 wheelers dumping asphalt on this "road" in just a few years. Already going by heavy equipment:shaking: on the trail. Gues I will get use to going up 80 from now on to wheel

#275 ·
wow thats kinda ridiculous. I love that spot on the trail.. Are they just gonna blow up every rock until its a fire road or what? :shaking:

I understand adding rock in wet spots for erosion.. but blowing rocks up to make the trail easier just isnt right... especially landmark rocks like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.