Pirate 4x4 banner

Suicide inevitable

5K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  mustange70 
#1 ·
So I've been thinking about this project for years and in the last 2 weeks it has come together in spectacular fashion.

I picked this up off of Craigslist for $150 partially torn apart but all pieces are there with a seized 250 engine.

Today I made a deal on this to go on it... :evil:

I think 800cc oughta make it move. :laughing:

This build will be fairly basic. Get the frame lengthened a bit to fit the engine and go have some fun. I'll most likely end up building a completely new chassis and suspension in the future. For now I just want to get this on the trails. :D

See less See more
#3 ·
Yea that smiley is pretty fitting. :D

Once the engine is in place I'll be building a new cage. The factory piece is trashed and most likely made of .065 wall. I'll build the main hoop out of 1 1/2x.120" and all the rest out of .090 wall. I'm really not trying to kill myself but it will surely be possible on this machine. :laughing:

#5 ·
No doubt it'll be a handful as is. I have no plans of doing more offroad than some dirt flat tracking and some dune trips with it as is. Been working on a design for a new suspension for the next incarnation.

#14 ·
We moved and I got a kick ass job with sometimes ridiculous hours so not a damned thing has been done except 5927 design changes. :laughing:

I think this is destined to be a go kart to run autocross with. I'm convinced that if I try running that much power in a rig with less suspension than a fawking pogo stick my wife will be receiving a check from my life insurance company in short order. :homer:

Some basic info.

The 250's have shitty trailing arm front suspension and big fluffy tires out back.

350's have full suspension which is basically the same as an old vw in function and design.

The 400 has a arms out front and trailing arms out back. Much better overall than its predecessors.

There are several ready to run 350's local to me for 2g's or less and a bunch of running 250's for around $500. I keep thinking I should pick up a 350 and swap the triple into it. :D

#18 · (Edited)
We moved and I got a kick ass job with sometimes ridiculous hours so not a damned thing has been done except 5927 design changes. :laughing:

I think this is destined to be a go kart to run autocross with. I'm convinced that if I try running that much power in a rig with less suspension than a fawking pogo stick my wife will be receiving a check from my life insurance company in short order. :homer:
Oh hell, as long as it has taken you to get this far, I would say Dr. Booger Welds is right and you will die from complications related to being a fatass way before this is finished :flipoff2:
That old cb360 I offered you a few years back would have been a fun engine in that thing.

#19 ·
I have a 350 , Its pretty fun for a machine that's almost 30 years old .It took a bit of time to bring it back from a basket case but it is pretty good now . I'm in the process of gathering parts for an -arm conversion in the front . Super excited to see how it is after it is done . I dreamed a lot as a kid about having a pilot . I like the 350 though . Lots o useful info and tech here .
PilotOdyssey.com • Index page

#21 ·
Those old 250s were fawking terrible ride quality, but still tons of fun nonetheless. A buddy of mine had one and had a track going all around his parent's property. You'd hit a bump, the front suspension would stay on the ground, and the rigid ass end would fly up in the air and point you damn near vertical facing the ground. :laughing:

In later years he found a wrecked gsxr 600, stretched the Odyssey chassis, and mounted it. Don't think he ever got it running though. Can't wait to see this one going.

#22 ·
A buddy of mine has one of these with an Artic cat 580 twin on it. It's a horrid looking cobbled up mess, but it was like that when he got it. We call it the Mad max oddy... LOL
Whoever did the engine swap didn't stretch the frame. Instead they mounted the engine behind the rear axle. That thing will pull a wheelie and spin the tires at the same time! LOL We bolted a couple dozer track pads to the front bumper to try to hold the front down. At least that way it only wheelies when ya first take off. LOL

#23 ·
Bump? Progress yet?

I will be doing the same. I started with a Polaris scrambler that I put a 680 triple in, found out after that the frame was fubar'd, so I've decided to move everything into one of the odyessy frames that we have kicking around at the farm. Also have the complete suspension from a razr that will be going in the front, and a combination of parts from the scamble and a predator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.