Pirate 4x4 banner

BITD Class 6100 Anyone Going to Build an Ultra 4 Car for It?

7K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  banned4life 
#1 ·
BITD has yet to release final rules for class 6100 but the main thing is going to be either a sealed LS3 or the Ford equlivant. Possibly 85" width, 4,000 lbs minimum, front engine, and maybe 37" DOT tires.

Anyone going to build an ultra 4 car or make thier car class legal for class 6100? I could see an ultra 4 car doing well in this class on some of the softer/ siltier courses. If they do have the 4,000 pound weight minimum aren't there some IFS ultra 4 cars in that weight range all ready?

#2 ·
You must be kidding. The 4400 pipe dream is alive!

At the Mint the other day, the winning 4400 averaged 2 hours a lap for just 3 laps (one less pit also). All but a few minutes of the race were in the daylight, on a course with much less traffic and many slower classes and way less chewed up.

The fastest 7200 truck averaged 1:55, for 4 laps (one more pit) and significant time in the dark.

When 6100 is all said and done, with quality cars like 7200, they will be smoking the 7200's and the 4400's will get beat by a TrophyLite again, just like this time.

NOT PUTTING DOWN 4400, very cool class, but come on, why keep making them out to be something they are not.

You don't see Trophy Truck driver's claiming they could comPete in the KOH now do you?

Have at it Rock Donkeys, this forum has been boring lately anyway.

#3 ·
Suhhh Ramsey, I'm stirring the pot.

If you look at the Silver State last year Shannon Campbell beat all the limited cars besides 1 pro truck and came in 5 minutes ahead of the first 7200. I honestly don't know how competive pro trucks will be compared to the proposed 6100 class, I have almost no knowledge of pro trucks besides the fact they look like they are straight out of 1999.

With the right budget you might be able to build an ultra 4 that can keep up with the 6100's and get a top 10 at KOH. I doubt we'll ever see an ultra 4 top 10 overall, I realize that's a fact of life, even top 20 is a streatch. Throw one in a limited class with a couple equalizing factors and you might be suprized. Look at what 4wd did at parker this past fall.

#17 ·
I doubt we'll ever see an ultra 4 top 10 overall, I realize that's a fact of life, even top 20 is a streatch.
Top 20 overall has already happened twice in true Ultra4 cars.

Shannon finished top 20 at Henderson 3 years ago in his KOH car.

I finished 17th overall and 9th in Class 1 two years ago at the same race.

I started in front of the 7200's and Protrucks and a handful of C1's and TT's. Never got passed and punted a few TT's and C1's along the way.

2 years ago the same guys said we couldn't beat JeepSpeeds and TL's...

Head to Head, the top Ultra4 cars beat the top 7200's every day of the week.

Start us behind 8100 and Class 9's and you end up passing 80 cars like Nick did.

#23 ·
Don't you have a cyclist to run over somewhere?:stirthepot:

#6 ·
Rumor has it it's something from turnkey.

Here's what they have to offer in the Ford Flavor in 2 seconds of web shopping

http://www.turnkeyenginesupply.com/street-engines/

If you were serious about this the Ford $$ in BITD might make it worth it to run a FORD though depending on engine costs it might come out to a wash in the end.

#7 ·
I think 6100 will be a cool, farm league for the TT crowd. Like Class10 is to Class1, 6100 is to TT.
I just hope they dont botch it all up to allow a ton of old fucked up 7200's or Protrucks trucks to fit into the class with these Minimum weighs (4000* or 4500*) and max widths. No reason to force new trucks to recreate the mistakes of old trucks.
Would also make a nice retirement community for older TT's that are no longer competitive.....

#9 ·
rules are going to be....spec engine, ford or chev...FROM turnkey....live axle, front engine (some max "distance back from front spindle), t-400 trans ONLY,....NO minumum weight OR max track width, truck body, 37" tires max....its going to be bigger then 7200 in NO TIME.....and they are going to be FAST.....bajalite will be a ROCKET with 400+ hp and 3300#s......

#12 · (Edited)
Sounds like a cool class.... If you want to race BITD.... I'm guessing lots would jump from 7200 to 6100 looks like less class rules and would be cheaper to run Engine wise. It really would be fun truck to build. As for building a 4400 for this class .....why? 4400s have a class, and can go race almost anywhere on any weekend because they are so versital .. . That's the beauty of a true Ultra 4. You can go compete in a desert race then run Jeepers Jamboree 3 days later.

#13 ·
Lurking on RDC watching the 6100 thread myself. Thought long and hard about 7200, but not impressed with the cost of the 6 cylinder.
Would like to see this class develop, and have a spec engine that is LS based. Not keen on only one source of engine for obvious reasons, but if engines could be sourced from mulitiple sources and power limited by locking the stock pcm. Officials would only need 5 min per team to plug in hp tuners and verify the tune, then lock it.
If teams are cheating in the engine department a stock tune will ruin there day for sure.
Keeping the cost down several grand will go along way on other aspects of the truck such as safety, fuel, logistics ect.
A example would be one of our 405hp LS2 RTR packages for 6200-6500.00. or somone who sources there own engine and reworks there own harness can do it for 5k! Half of the 11k they are proposing.

#18 ·
I would choose the LS. The coyote motor was a bitch when i was setting it in the R8. Theres no fucking way your going to put a v8 in a bajalite and it weigh 3300 race ready and hold up. good luck especially if someone wants a ford motor in your Bullshit light. I know of atleast one 6100 getting built.

#20 ·
Just because TL is gone doesnt mean anything. I stand behind what i say so even though i dont work for the Company anymore. I will not go back on my word , why would i know? ok so what size fuel cell? tires? shocks?

The bottom line is the R-8 should be putting down faster times. Driver? truck? a bit of both? I dunno we will see. It would be cool to see a Foutz designed truck against your "6100." Can you draw your own parts in Solid works? Can you tig weld A-arms and machine fixtures? or do you just jive around in a greesy salesman sport coat

#21 · (Edited)
I still don't understand why someone hasn't built a 4400 IFS car that will be up front with the rest. The added weight of the IFS front axle shouldn't be the reason they are that much slower. Someone needs to take a proven truck by a proven builder, tweak it for rockracing & add a IFS front axle. I can see Geiser building a 4400 truck that could do damage. I mean short course Pro4 are faster than Pro2. Are you guys setting up ride height & shocks different for desert races versus rock events?

Not dissing the rockrace builders here. Just hasn't happened & can happen.

#22 ·
I still don't understand why someone hasn't built a 4400 IFS car that will be up front with the rest. The added weight of the IFS front axle shouldn't be the reason they are that much slower.

Someone needs to take a proven truck by a proven builder & add a IFS front axle. I can see Geiser building a 4400 truck that could do damage.

Not dissing the rockcrawler builders here. Just hasn't happened & can happen.
Smith and the Herbsts tried. Spent a ton of money with little success. More parts means more shit to break. Realistically I don't see it happening without a new center diff/t-case being developed.

I hope I am wrong as I have friends building a 4wd 7200 truck.

#28 ·
I'll put my foot in my mouth about the top 20, I didn't realize you guys made it up there.

Those rules look good.

Pete why aren't there more 7200's the weight of your little trucks? Aren't most 7200's in the 4,500lb range?

Campbell has pretty good luck with his ifs ultra 4 car though his class 1 still has teething issues keeping parts together.

There definetly are more people running IFS in ultra 4 rigs and pro 4's now than back when people were throwing cubic dollars at 4wd trophy trucks with 1 off parts. Maybe this will help up reliability and bring parts down. What's different with the 4wd ifs rigs now then back in the day?

With the limited power in 6100 4wd rigs might be able to compete and stay together.

Are most of the KOH IFS 4wd rigs running 4 wheel drive all the time?

The trick might be to build a rig that handles decent in 2wd so if/ when the 4wd parts break you can slap it in 2wd and keep pace with the 2wd rigs.

#29 ·
20 bucks says no fucking way you can build a 6100 truck that ways 3400 pounds and stays together and has legal size cage tube. How much does a BL weigh? ls3 motor is around 400 pounds. you will need a larger fuel cell plus fuel. Even a 50 gal cell is going to add 300 pounds when full. Weight adds up quick. More cooling, More oil, Larger trans cooler, etc. Oh and the sum bitch is going to be a squirell with a 111" wb and 450 hp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.