Pirate 4x4 banner

New Spider 10" w/40 Spline Hubs...oh yea !!!

37K views 80 replies 38 participants last post by  rockyota83 
#1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to drop a Few Photos of the "New" Spidertrax "Pro Series" Housing...

With the Demand for stronger set ups, mostly in the rear, Spidertrax has Modified the current "Pro series" Housing to fit a 10" ring gear, used im most Trophy Trucks...

This housings is built to the same high quality as the "Pro Series" Housing added earlier this year, Every Componet is manufactured from 4130 domestic grade chromoly steel.. every 3-1/2 OD x 1/4" wall 4130 housing tube is Heat Treated to a tensile strength of 150,000 psi....roughly 2-1/2 times the strength of 1026 DOM tubing..
The have re-worked the center adding a .25" top, .25 bottom and .25 to the deepth to accept a 10" ring gear....

with all this beef why stop there, new drive plates for the "Pro Series" Hub kits can now be purchased with a 40 spline plate..

we are now stocking the whole line of the "Pro series" housings and wheel hubs to go with 10" drop outs Which we are also stocking..
These units are built by Gear Works, the choice of most Trophy Truck Drivers..

The actually Third Housing is built by Strange for Gearworks....
You have your choice of Motive Gear, USA Gear and Gear Works has there own Gears... Popular Ratio's are available...

these Drop outs can be purchased in 35 spline, 40 spline sae (SML), large 40 spline, and Trophy truck 36 spline.. (More to come on this :smokin:)

so, Here is the Spider 10 stuff...

what you think ... ??

This is the Original Spider 9 opening..

This is the new Housing opening to accept the 10" Ring Gear..

The Original housing is 11.25 top to Bottom..

The new 10" Housing is only a 1/2" more, .25 on top and .25 on the Bottom..

The orginal Spider 9 had a deepth of 6.5" from Face plate to inside of Front of Housing..

The Spider 10 has a deepth of 6.75" from Face plate to inside of Front of Housing..only a .25 Deeper..

See less See more
#56 ·
Here is the 40 spline Drive Plates Laid over the 35 Spline plate..

G]
I just noticed something,

Are the spidertrax drive plates hub centric ?

If so this is a huge improvement and advantage. I run the cone hubs and I wish the drive plates on mine were hub centric. I have been talking with sandy about revamping mine to be hub centric. Cudos to Tom if these are :smokin:

#3 · (Edited)
Here is some shots of one of the 10" drop outs from Gearworks..
Each one of these units are fitted on a "Diff/Dyno" and go through a Test Run, before shipping...

#10 ·
Maybe Spidertrax can chime in but I think welding to the heat treated tubes is counter productive strength wise. My understanding is the weld and area around it will loose some or all of the beneficial properties gained by the prior heat treatment. I think it would be better to weld all the brackets and tabs on first and then heat treat as an entire piece. I claim to be no expert and could be completely off but thought it was worth mentioning.

#19 · (Edited)
Heat Treating after all welding would be the ultimate choice, as for a boxed Housing and Welding your brackets, Pre-Heat working area to 250F use ER70 Rod or wire..
I am not a expert either, you will loose some of the heat treat but I believe what you keep and gain is more than Regular 1026 DOM..

#11 ·
This new front end looks to be a nice of combination of strength in a lighter package. It splits the void between a 9" and a 14 bolt. So much lighter. A true $10,000 front axle.

But the 10" still uses a 9" arb

#21 ·
I would agree with the weight for strength argument.

and as far as price goes a 10" has a similar price point as a new 14 bolt removable third member.

But the 10" still has a weak selectable locker. the 14 bolt is still the only option that can comfortable support heavy abuse with a 40 spline selectable locker. And what percent of of these ultra 4 types are running a selectable front locker?

And TT's would have used 14 bolts if they were not so cheap and easy to work on. I mean anybody can have one....and they were not offered with a removable third so you couldn't make custom housings...till now. and you couldn't get them in massive 40+ splines....untill now

#22 ·
the 10" is only stronger because its fully custom, spend that same time and money into producing custom gear sets for a custom drop out 3rd for the 14bolt and that .5" larger ring gear will make it stronger, its simple stronger is almost always bigger. theres no reason gear sets/3rd housing can not be built as strong or even stronger then this 10"

i would probably also go this route if it wasnt for the weak arb in there, ill stick with the massive 14bolt arb :grinpimp:

could someone please make a thread with broken 14bolt gear sets, id love to see how many people have broken them :laughing:

#40 ·
The only advantage to running a 14 over the 10" is if you are running an ARB. The 10" gears are stronger, the loaded steel 10" 3rd is 70lbs vs the aluminum 14 is roughly 105lbs, bigger shaft options with the 10" along with the 4" bearing option from Gearworks, and the 10" is smaller and easier to package along with more ground clearance.

#42 ·
There are lots of different options on the 10" 3rd's. Locker, spool, spline(35, small 40, big 40, Big 36...) all will change prices. Send us an email with your options for a quote Randy@jimmys4x4.com

#43 ·
We are running the 10" stuff in our car. They are drag gears and wearing on the LP front diff, but holding up. Rear seems to be holding its own. We will need to goto the gearworks gears next year. They are in aluminum ultracases by strange running 3.8" ish bearings.

The aluminum ultra case is way beefier than the other aluminum cases offered.

#45 ·
like this thread explains, usually not. some fabricated axle housing builders make a bigger 9" housing that will take a 9" or a 10" (currie, TW, Blitzkreig, others that i havn't asked)

It's nice that Spidertrax keeps their housings as tight as possible. Just big enough and no bigger.

#48 ·
Yea I'm dicklexic

Im having the 10" housing rear axle made now. Will keep a spare 9" handy in the trailer. Can use the 9" spare in either the rear 10" housing or in the front

I didnt check to see if the 9" and 10" are the same distance from thd yoke to the 3rd member mounting face. Ie: I dont know if both 3rds woulx use the same length driveshaft

#49 ·
can someone post links to where to get info on the 10" drop outs?

maybe i'm an idiot but i've searched and cant find a thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.