Pirate 4x4 banner

Which Ford trucks are OBD II?

34K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  redpitbull44 
#1 · (Edited)
I know that as a general rule everything 1995 and earlier is OBD I, and everything after 1996 is OBD II, but I've read some contention on some finer points regarding this in Ford trucks, especially the 1996, 1997 and 1998 year model F250 HD, F350, and larger trucks. It seems even more confusing when you look at the 460, and when you get into California emissions VS standard emissions. Please note I am referring ONLY to the Old Body Style (OBS) trucks, as illustrated in the attached picture below, and only the 4.9L, 5.0L, 5.8L, 7.5L, and 7.3L Powerstroke. Not the goofy assed taurus with a truck bed bullshit F150/ F250 light duty, and sure as hell not the 4.2L, 4.6L, 5.4L or 6.8L. Please, let that be the last mention of them.

In the 1996 F150, are all engines OBD 2?

In the 1996 and 1997 F250 HD, which engines are OBD 1 and which are OBD 2?

In the 1996-1998 F350, which engines are OBD 1, and which are OBD 2?

Thanks in advance, and I will continue to scour the web, as I have for the past 2 hours in search of legit answers. Cross posting this to FTE as well. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1155303-which-ford-trucks-are-obd-ii.html

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think it is a "which engine" thing so much as it is a GVWR thing (and possibly CA emission thing). But you probably aren't going to see a 5.0 in F-350.

FWIW all 96 F-150s I've seen are Obd2. Most but not all 250's were as well. As for 350's I've seen a few 96-97's that had both connectors, but would not communicate via OBD2 protocol. They were still EEC-IV, but had an obd2 port.

#3 · (Edited)
Well then you know exactly what I know. Let's see if somebody that knows more than we do chimes in. This shit drives me nuts. Especially with the 460. Finding a 1996 or 1997 F250 or F350 4x4 5 speed w/ 460 or a 1996 F150 4x4 5 speed w/ 4.9L is hard enough. Not knowing if it is even worth looking for those two specific years on the F250 or which month of 1996 the F150 should be because they may or may not be OBD 2 and I want OBD 2 is enough to make me crazy.

#5 · (Edited)
The 95-97 f-with the 460 were EEC with no cats.
I've never seen one stock without cats, and I'm in a non-emissions state. That brings up a whole new question:

Which trucks were Mass Airflow, and which were Speed Density?

I've read that they never made a Mass Airflow 351 or 460. I've been told that they did make Mass Airflow 4.9L and 5.0L in the trucks in 1996.

#7 ·
THE ONLY MASS AIR 460 TRUCKS WERE CALIFORNIA SPECIF AND ONLY MADE IN 1997. rare-ish.

sorry for the caps lock. forgot to take it off after the chop.

#11 ·
f-superduties are in a different class than the light duty regular pickups and i'm sure they get some emissions exemptions for it. f250 and 350 1997 cali spec 460 trucks are supposed to be maf. granted i'm not in or from cali, just going off of research i did 5-6 years back when i was wanting to do work on my efi 460.

#16 ·
Are you looking for the OBD2 / mass air system for the cheap factor?
Oh no. Hens teeth hunter here. I like to seek out the rarest of the rare. Not even from a money perspective. I just like to be a little different.

My main interests are as new as possible F series with 4.9L, 351 or 460, with ZF. I prefer OBD II for obvious reasons. Honestly, I would be glad to get a California truck. It would probably be rust free. Hell, their idea of rust is our idea of new around here.

I am actually planning an F250 4x4 ZF5 w/ 351, put a 300 in it and swap in a 87-91 KPHP D60 front for my little brother as his first vehicle. Strongest/ most reliable combo I can think of, while still being EFI and capable of decent fuel mileage.
Yeah my friend had a '94 with a maf and airbags...
Probably was a 5.0L then. My 94 F150 4x4 M5OD w/ 4.9L was speed density.
OK, I'm bored, can't sleep, and I'm a tuning geek, so I decided to research this a bit more, because I would like to know too.

I came up with 27 different catch codes for the 96 model year with a 7.5 !

I only found 3 different catch codes for 97 with a 7.5....So I decided to focus on those, they are more likely to be obd2 anyway.

The 3 of them are FEZ3, YER2, (both also availible in 96) and GMA0 (only availible in 97).

The FEZ3 is mass air, and EEC-V ( I assume that makes it obd2 as well). The bad side of the FEZ3 is that it is also for E4od. Possibly something I could flash out of it but would have to research more.

I could not find any more info on the YER2 or the GMA0. But it's a good place to start your search. Google away. The GMA0 peaks my interest a little because it wasn't availible in 96 as far as I can tell.
A lot of what you just said was gibberish to me, but I appreciate you opening a new door for me to explore beyond. the GMA0 piques my interest as well, because it was a one year thing.

#15 ·
OK, I'm bored, can't sleep, and I'm a tuning geek, so I decided to research this a bit more, because I would like to know too.

I came up with 27 different catch codes for the 96 model year with a 7.5 !

I only found 3 different catch codes for 97 with a 7.5....So I decided to focus on those, they are more likely to be obd2 anyway.

The 3 of them are FEZ3, YER2, (both also availible in 96) and GMA0 (only availible in 97).

The FEZ3 is mass air, and EEC-V ( I assume that makes it obd2 as well). The bad side of the FEZ3 is that it is also for E4od. Possibly something I could flash out of it but would have to research more.

I could not find any more info on the YER2 or the GMA0. But it's a good place to start your search. Google away. The GMA0 peaks my interest a little because it wasn't availible in 96 as far as I can tell.

#19 ·
I can't speak for everything, but I can say for sure that federal emissions stuff was speed density obd-1 through to the end in the 250/350. My current 460 block is from a 97 my truck with a 1/98 build date, which was SD and obd 1. As for other maf stuff, 94-5 f150 5.0 with auto trans are obd 1 maf, with the ho firing order, stick were SD and standard order. For the W the lightnings were of course. 96 was the magic year for the F150 and bronco, everything got maf and obd 2. This was the only year for a maf 300 and the only year a maf non ho 5.8 was produced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.