Pirate 4x4 banner

Help with selecting a new car

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  frikenwoodro 
#1 · (Edited)
My son that is 7 is wanting a "car" for his birthday coming up in a couple of months. I use to race r/c back in the RC10, ultima days many years ago. With that said I very much out of the loop on info. So I need a crash course / cliff notes, so I can make a decision. Thanks in advance, John

#6 ·
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...se-Truck-w-TF-40-24GHz-Waterproof-Electronics

I just bought this one a few months ago. The sales guy told me that it's not the "best" short course truck, but it's a hell of a basher. I have beat the piss out of this thing and it still keeps going. I think it would be a good starter truck for a 7 year old, and easily upgraded later. I never ran the stock battery because of the 4-6 hour charge time. I bought 2, 2s lipos, with a quick charger. You will probably want to do this no matter what you get. Just make sure to let it cool down after runs so you don't smoke the esc like I did. But the new Veliniom brushless set up is a lot faster!:homer:

2011 Outback Raceway Turkey Shootout 4wd Open Short Course A Main - YouTube

I ran the truck on this track with both motors. The lap times weren't too different, mainly because the stock motor made it easy to drive. My reflexes aren't as quick as they used to be, so I have a tough time staying on the track with the new motor. I am far from a pro R/C racer though!

#7 ·
I just bought my first RC in over 20 years (last one was an RC10 as well). What I will tell you is the technology has CHANGED incredibly. Some other things have changed as well, quick cliff notes version of what I learned in reading (most will be based on my Wraith crawler kit experience)

They are 1/10 scale but are still 1/10 the price if you are building!

Many RTRs are decent, a lot of their short comings are on the radio side, do your research, the Wraith RTR gets good reveiws, even on the radio, really the shortfall was the motor. I went the kit route as I knew I was going to upgrade anyway

Novak ESCs now suck where they used to be the bomb (remember when if you ran a Novak you were serious, not anymore, at least not on the crawler side, now it is Tekin or Holmes)

With the new Lipo batteries you go from 15 minute run times to 1hour run times on a charge!

Motors, well, there are a heck of a lot more options, get ready to have a head ache learning and understanding as you read

Tower Hobbies is still around :D

Servos have come a long way and you truly get what you pay for, our old "good" servos had power of like 100oz/inch, now the crawlers are up in the 400s!

Tires, if you have a favorite full size tire you can probably find it in an RC size

Basically, if you can do it in a full size, you can make your RC do the same!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.