Pirate 4x4 banner

Blueberry Krunch

393K views 1K replies 203 participants last post by  KyTrash 
#1 ·
This is the beginning of the next project for me. The old lady wants to ride along with the kids and the "Cooter" wasn't going to cut the mustard in that department. So out with the old and in with the new.

The plan so far; SAS the front, run the 22r with propane, rear leafs (hybrid mazda pack?), 39.5 Irocks on bead-locks, use the tube I bought for a int. cage, and most importantly MAKE IT AS LOW AS I CAN.

I plan on this being a trailer rig that will get beat into submission. Who knows, maybe it will turn into a buggy down the road like I originally wanted to build?

Low-rider..............

I hope my neighbors are not trying to sell their house.

I want to let everyone know this right now, I will never do a SAS to a IFS truck AGAIN if the purpose is to make the most capable wheeler that I can.

This is a link to the reason why http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=599542

P.S. Two wheel drive trucks have the same frame dimensions as a pre 86 4x4. Next time I will just convert a 2wd or start with a pre 86.

This is what I have been up to.

I capped the motor mounts.

The stock front cross member was cut out and a new one was made. The spring hanger holes are 1" up than a normal conversion. I also move the hanger forward 1".

This is the bracing on the right hand side and I rosette welded to the frame.

I moved the hanger forward 1" so the frame tube was moved forward as well. I also went up 1/2" on the frame in comparison to the frame jig that I bought. I will replace the brace that I cut out.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
These are the Mazda hybrid leaves. The 4th leaf is a 48" Toyota rear main cut down 4" shorter. The 5th is a 48" Toyota rear main cut down 4" shorter than the last. The 6th is a 48" rear second cut down 4" shorter than the last.

I am not sure how this pack will work as of yet.

(edit as of 12-19-11 bent a spring due to a rock and replaced with a 87 2wd Mazda B2000 spring [52" flat length-26.5 front half-25.5 rear half])

#8 ·
Ill guess between 3-4" lift

These are the Mazda hybrid leaves. The 4th leaf is a 48" Toyota rear main cut down 4" shorter. The 5th is a 48" Toyota rear main cut down 4" shorter than the last. The 6th is a 48" rear second cut down 4" shorter than the last.

I am not sure how this pack will work as of yet.

This post has been deleted
#13 · (Edited)
#17 ·
Well, I soon will be leaving for the Holiday but I had time to get a bit more done.

The body is on and the rear has been tubbed out a bit. I dont like the comp cut look so I am trying to keep the rear.

I need to get the shackle hangers relocated since the shackles are laying on the frame right now. I started cutting since it was so low already.

#18 ·
Nice. What are you going to use for inner wheel wells? I just cut the outside fender and used license plate inserts as a template/mold. I picked up some marine grade foam sealant and filled in the fenders. Only had about a 4-6" gap to fill, and its still holding up pretty good.

#19 ·
Not sure yet. After I get it sprung where I want I will cycle the suspension and see how much more I have to cut. After that I will brainstorm that situation.

#20 ·
Well I got the springs mounted up.
I put a 4.5" shackle in the front and a 5" shackle in the rear with a Marma joint.
Now I have heard plenty of good and plenty of bad about that type of joint but I figured that I would give it a try. The Mazda leafs are prone to break so my reasoning was to help relieve the twisting on the main leaf.

I put about 600lbs in the front to simulate the motor and winch and and 100lbs in the rear and ended up with a even front to back frame hight of 25".

Not much up travel in this berry, I guess that I will have to keep the tire pressure low.

#21 ·
I put about 600lbs in the front to simulate the motor and winch and and 100lbs in the rear and ended up with a even front to back frame hight of 25".

Not much up travel in this berry, I guess that I will have to keep the tire pressure low.

lowrider on 40's...:smokin:

#22 ·
I tossed in the motor so I could start on the drive train lift. Figured that I could do a quick garage flex to give me a idea on fender clearance.

19" under the front 39.5 and the rears didnt come off the ground, not too bad since the rears will go farther...

I have rub issues on the rear, time to cut some more....

I like what I see so far with these Mazda hybrids

#24 ·
Great work Mr. Stubbs,...I'm a big fan of your BBQ sauce too....:laughing:

Can you get a picture of the clearance between the rear of the front tire and the firewall, wheelwell?

I am in the same boat as you in my 4Runner build and need some inspiration...
Thanks...love the build.......:smokin:

john

#27 ·
Can you get a picture of the clearance between the rear of the front tire and the firewall, wheelwell?

john
The axle is moved forward 2" with the RUF springs and a additional 1" with the new spring hanger. I have more room than I know what to do with, I dont even think that I will have to beat the seam down flat (I will anyway though) This is a pick of the only real clearance issues that I will have....

#28 ·
I have and am still in the air on it. A lot will depend on how she sits with the pane tanks, cage, and other things on it that will add weight to her. I have a feeling that if I do that she will sit way low in the rear.

#26 ·
After much thought I decided to raise the drive train. I realy want to have a low COG but at a wheelbace of 115.5" the break over angle is terrible. I had a friend do some trig for me and I was able to match the BA with that of my other truck. It has duals with a FROR crossmember and a wheelbace of 106".

The overall raise hight is 2.5".

#30 ·
I havent set the bump stops yet but it will be nil. If I can get 3" I will be super happy. That is what I get for having a IFS frame and leaf springs :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.