Pirate 4x4 banner

Building new F-Toy

9K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  Toycrawler5481 
#1 ·
I'm 17 years old and want to build an F-toy. My father and I are going to start it as soon as he gets back from Afghanistan. I am looking for any advice or just simple tips as far as what to do for it. It is going to be a basic build, but I do want to be able to run KOH with it. Thanks!

#2 ·
good idea. before he gets back, get a frame and torch it all off and grind and flap it down. make it look real nice because you will have this frame forever and its not exactly replaceable down the line. that right there is about a 10 hour job.

#3 ·
Start watching PBB classifieds for a donor truck with a good parts list.

You don't care if the body is hammered, but you want to find 5.29's, lockers, dual cases, hydro assist, Longs, maybe some decent tires and rims, seats, running engine, etc. If you can find those parts in a truck for ~$4k, it's a lot cheaper than sourcing it all separately.

Read all the build threads. Write down the things you like. Post up your goals in your build thread--some of the things we chose do aren't compatible with others' ideas. Many are. We'll give you feedback.

People like a2b who built the first FToys literally had to start from scratch--and many of those first FToys have been rebuilt several times. Those of us who built later FToys got to cheat and use only their good ideas without having to rebuild them to get there. :)

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. This is my son. What he didn't tell you is this, we stripped a 87 4-runner frame about a year ago, moved the engine and trans back and down. we have axles with Longs for the front and a set of diffs, both with 5.29's and spools. A well used, but still useable 38" Swampers on steel rims. Picked up F-toy #68 (we think) last last weekend. I went to see Brett at Western Fab the other day and ordered some stuff for when I get back.

But all your suggestions will be asked for. This will be my first F-toy, however alot of you know of my huge ass truck. But it needs to be rebuilt too!! I am really looking forward to spending time with my son on this build. Thank again guys.

#7 ·
leaf springs

I would run a different set of rear springs. 63s are super long and dont give a bunch of lift. With 4'' springs up front, you are going to have to run either huge blocks out back or you are going to be looking at the sky a lot. I would run 5'' lift springs in the rear.
As For building, work from bottom to top (ie set axle in position, then drive train, seats, then chassis.)
Also if you can, find a pre IFS frame. 2wd will work. The frame kicks up higher and will allow for more up travel.

#8 · (Edited)
that's cool. sounds like you got things underway.

do not run 63's. find a 4" or 5" thats the standard 56" i think, from marlin or the like.

the 4" front will be great.

the shocks are preference thing. run em until you don't like them.

look up the toy FAQ, find the post that JCA made about how to set your suspension up with proper bump stop, but dont worry about your springs negative arching, you need all the front travel you can get.

and like rick james said, bottom to top. you can do all this without the chassis mounted, but don't worry about the frame. the limiting factor on uptravel is usually the ram colliding with the oil pan or radiator. try to get the ram to squeeze between the radiator and the engine to gain the most uptravel.

#9 ·
Cool, Thanks for the advise. I did plan on building from the bottom up. I didn't do that on my truck and lifting the 205 t-case into place multiple times untill it was right, sucked!! I was under and out of that truck a million times. Learned alot of what not to do!!

#11 ·
first, leaf packs are custom - able. you can take leafs out and you can add them in. it all depends on your setup. are they in boarded? is your ftoy really light in the back? or do you carry 4 people around.

just put it all together and then start playing with leafs.

#12 ·
The rear part of the frame kicks up, so to compensate, one could run a taller spring. I have 3'' springs front and rear and wish I went with 4'' in the rear because of how high the front sits. Granted I could change the shackle angle, but at the same time, I would rather try to get the most up travel as possible.

#13 ·
good point. i run 5" in the rear, inboarded, and i mounted my shackle hanger on the back of the cross member as high as i could. it does 2 things, it lowers the buggy without compromising up travel, and it also acts as a nice stop for the shackles when i back into things.

i also mounted my spring hangers up inside the frame. they could be higher too.

#14 ·
Try to get your spring eyes level--the rear hanger eye and the rear shackle eye should both be about the same distance off the ground at ride height. This helps for shock packaging.

If your front hanger is really low and your back eye really high, the shock will swing backwards quite a bit when you stuff..and vice versa if your hanger is high and you run a really long shackle. Important considerations when you're making room for your fuel/propane tanks and back seat.

#23 ·
Back on Topic, this thread remonds me of Mike and Jake Wright. When Mike first called me, he said his plan was to build a Formula Toy with his snot nosed 16 year old kid (Jake :flipoff2:). He wanted to spend "Dad time" with Jake and thought this was the way to do it.
Most everyone knows the rest of the story, IT WAS A GREAT IDEA!! and I'm sure Jake would tell you it was the most fun he ever had with his Dad.

blazen91, Where do you guys live? I live in Apple Valley. If I'm close, I would like to stop by one weekend and check out what you got. I might have a couple suggestions also.

#27 ·
One more thing I want to inform you that you have no authority to say me anything.
Yeah Mustard Dog, what authority you to say to him anything? Who the fuck do you think you are to told him like that?

:flipoff2:

#37 ·
I thought the story of Yoda has already been told:confused:

#38 ·
borybosell, I don't know if your serious or not. I don't really care, but you are screwing up this guys build thread. SO GO AWAY!

If you would like to discuss Formula Toys, start a new thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.