Pirate 4x4 banner

Ram 5500 Build

61K views 61 replies 27 participants last post by  STRAC 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally going to start getting this on here- might take a while though...Original thread was on Expedition Portal- moving posts over from there so bear with me

Started in May of 2010- this is how it progressed from this:

to this:

to this:

and why....and maybe what's next...

"Bought the truck 3 weeks ago, doing some engine tuning (parts on the way) and planning out the real fun.

The truck is all stock with an aluminum Hillsboro bed. I am seriously contemplating selling the bed, having one made for the Camper and storage after reading the F550 flatbed thread by boblynch

Next thing is wheels and tires. Looking to go with the MPT 81's in the 335/80R20 or possibly the 365/80R20. Wheels I have been talking to Stazworks about some steel beadlocks.
Welcome to Stazworks extreme offroad web presence!

I don't want to lift it, so I am having the axle moved forward to get clearance. If need be I have an adjustable (1"-5") aluminum spacer to add and/or trim the fender.
That is going to be done by Evolution Machine
Evolution Forums

First I need to get the rims and tires so we can have them there to position the axle. Looking at having Clay at Evolution do the bed, he has some interesting ideas to improve the suspension and ride with his custom built shocks down the road as well.

Anyone have a good line on the MPT 81's, or even other wheels I should consider?"

"The truck is a quad cab 4x4 6.7L Diesel Cab & Chassis truck 64" Cab to axle, 164.5" wheelbase. Stock rims are 10 bolt 19.5's , axles are the same as the F 550- I think- rear Dana 110. GVW of 19,500 lbs.

I do want to go off road- though I have my other truck for more hard core stuff, but want to go off "the beaten path" and be self sufficient.

I have had Michelin XL's and XML's on my '01 Dodge in the past in the 38" size and, yes they were heavy. In reality there will be a lot of highway driving, but I am accustomed to the large off-road type tire, I like the ability to perform well off road and air down.

Other option is going with 22.5 rims and on/off road floats in a 365/85 R22.5 size. Last alot longer, carry the load well and stiff sidewalls- more limited off- road.

Need to nail down the tire choice soon as it will affect the rest of the build."

See less See more
#36 ·
I love your Truck. I got rear ended yesterday in my 2012 2500 and I am thinking about spending the insurance money in this direction.

I love the both your fenders, but was curious about what specifically you used for the rear fenders.

Keep up the good work!

#38 ·
I see the speed rating on the MPT 81s is max @ 68mph. Whats the consensus on running 80mph unloaded on these tires? i run alot of interstate for work. I'm considering them for my '08 Superduty, currently running KM2s. Thanks!

#41 ·
Sorry!! been awol for a while- wedding and then floods have kept me hopping.

I'll try and respond to the ?? soon...trying to adapt the 2500 Carli suspension to the 5500 (partially) and do a few other things before leaving for vacation Friday- need a softer ride unloaded!

#46 · (Edited)
Thanks! I was born and raised in Langford actually. In town for a wedding reception with my family (we did a Caribbean wedding)- ended up having to stay for a funeral today.

Head out to Seattle tomorrow, maybe see the guys at MasterPull Monday- then make our way west, probably to Missoula.

#48 · (Edited)
Used trailer fenders, bent them to accommodate the tires, then puck board between trailer fender and deck rail

#49 ·
A couple Pics from trip

#50 ·

#51 ·
Selling...maybe

Truck listed for sale locally.

Will be listing the '01 Dodge and the Jeep soon too. Gotta sell 2, see which is last one standing. Trailer is sold, so don't "need" 5500...

Tough decision, if I keep it- will be shortening the wheelbase, different (short) deck and exo cage, maybe airbag suspension.

Would prefer an auto trans, just my preference as it would be smartest to keep the G 56 with SB DD. Thought if maybe part trade for an auto truck or- I've seen the threads on swapping in a built 47RE...which I happen too have in my '01...

Problem is I can make a good argument (to myself) for keeping each of 'em :homer:

#53 ·
Mostly just preference. I use it as a DD and others need to be able to drive it on occasion for work- also be nice if my wife could drive if need be, she will generally be designated driver:beer:- but won't drive this one.

#56 ·
Nothing really...

Did just pick it up today after leaving it parked outside the pub last night to find some asshole backed into it. Stove in the rear d side door, had to be a lifted truck from the height :mad3:

Didn't get anything I was comfortable with worked out for a sale or trade, did sell the JK and my trailer.

Haven't ruled out a trade, I just really want a built auto. I did pick up a salvage titled 09 4500 4x4 Ram in November, had hit a hyundai with the front passenger wheel and pushed the axle under the truck. Control arms just folded. I haven't done anything with it yet either. It is an auto 6.7 truck (Aisin 6 sp), but it doesn't seem that these can, at least not yet, be built too handle much power over stock, a 47/48re looking to be better swap- just $$$.

Anyone have a built auto they want to swap for a g56 with a Southbend 3250 DD? :D Seems to be a lot to the swap to go auto and no one here abouts has done it before- hate to pay to be the guinea pig. Easiest to go full manual valve body, which is fine with me, still pretty expensive swap.

If I go that far, I'd be looking at dual cases (have a spare NV 271 out of the salvage truck, not sure if 2 of those can be doubled?), shorten the wheelbase (about 2 feet +), shorten d shaft, new deck of some kind, cage, etc... starts to add up quick to change it to what I want it to be now- basically Big Ass jeep since I don't haul anything anymore.

So, until I figure out a plan, I'm just sitting on all 3 Rams- If I start parting out stuff, sure as hell I'll find I needed what I already sold!

And seeing as, I freely admit, I don't have anywhere near the skills to do the work myself- even if I had the facilities, tools and time...I'll be paying all the labor to get it done as well- and nothing is bolt on...

Maybe I should just see if there is interest in a trade for a built JK 2dr! :confused::confused:

#59 ·
Good to know! Would make it a little easier if I knew the it was sold, still haven't gotten a firm or even confident price to do a swap anywhere though

#60 ·
Didn't have an ad here, just one locally last year. Had it listed at $50,000 Canadian, which is about $45,000 US right now, Raptor or later model auto trade.

#61 ·
#62 ·
Truck still for sale, just bought a brand new 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Limited 6.7

Other rigs are sold, bought a '96 Cherokee for wife to run around in for now and probably the winter, then it will be my toy.

Gotta sell the 5500 and salvage truck to fund what I want to do with the new one!

Think I'll be swapping the Black Maxx out for the Mini Maxx on the salvage truck, no deletes or anything for the 2013 now, but who knows down the road what H&S will have for an "offroad only" tune and you can't get the Black Maxx anymore.

Also think I'll swap out the King 2.5's to use on the new truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.