Pirate 4x4 banner

Spring Ham Radio Class

7K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  randii 
#1 · (Edited)
A lot of Rubicon folks have become HAM radio operators in the last few years...it's absolutely the best way to communicate in the Rubicon. Safety, convenience, reliability, etc. Here's your chance!

This class is designed to take you from zero to HAM radio operator in no time at all. It will be held in the Sacramento Valley area, in El Dorado Hills.

The dates are:

Class: April 20th, 2013, 9:00AM until 5:00PM, with a 1 hour lunch break – in this session, Barb will give you everything you need to know to pass the test…help you through the hard stuff, show you how to study the easy stuff, and where to look for info between classes. You should expect to be in class all day and you’ll learn a ton of stuff! She’ll also give you info on how to study for the test the easy way.

Test: May 11th 2013, 9:00AM until about 2:00PM – in this session, an examiner team will meet you when you arrive. They’ll administer the test, and after you have passed, John will teach you stuff about using your radio in the practical world and give you a bunch of info about getting emergency help, setting up your radio, and using it in the Rubicon as well as general info for other areas. You’ll leave the session with all the tools you need to get started, including a radio, if you want one.

Radios: Once again we will offer a “group buy” price on the Yaesu FT-60 portable radio and/or Yaesu FT-8800 mobile radio. We don’t make any money on this, we’re just trying to get radios into the hands of OHV users. After you sign up, more info will be made available on that. These are the same radios we have offered in the past, and have proven to be durable, practical, easy to program and understand, and work very well.

Cost: The cost for the class is the $15.00 charge for your FCC license…that’s it! I will get prices for the radios as the date gets closer and will put that out via email to those that have signed up.

Book: The book you need is the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual, 2nd edition. It MUST be the most current book (July 1 2010). I believe they are cheapest at Amazon.com. and fastest from Ham Radio Outlet. You MUST have the new (July 1, 2010 or later) version of the book as you won’t be able to follow the class without it AND the questions on the test are different! ISBN: 978-0-87259-097-7

Sign up for the class by emailing me with your name, address, phone number, and preferred email address at John.Arenz@RubiconTrailFoundation.org .

See less See more
#16 · (Edited)
You Have Your Callsigns!

Ok, callsigns have been issued! Go here to find yours. Enter your last name, first name using the drop down menu in the search field (don't forget the comma).

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

Good job!!

:grinpimp:

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
That's pretty cool! Shortened for El Dorado already :grinpimp:

Lookie here... Barb is Teacher of the Year for the local Air Force Association.
914015_10151666665036159_1633533431_o.jpg Photo by amorello5401 | Photobucket
Air Force Association
As I understand it, she's been further recognized as a regional TotY and is up for more recognition at the state level! :cool2:

Pretty impressive stuff -- well-deserved praise for a cool lady who supports Rubicon radio usage. :) John has spent a lot of time supporting this effort, as well -- very cool to see a family's continued commitment to the vision of better communication on/near the Rubicon.

Dennis would be proud -- I know I am. :thumbsup:

Randii
W2G Barb, you deserve it!

#19 · (Edited)
Lookie here... Barb is Teacher of the Year for the local Air Force Association.
914015_10151666665036159_1633533431_o.jpg Photo by amorello5401 | Photobucket
Air Force Association
As I understand it, she's been further recognized as a regional TotY and is up for more recognition at the state level! :cool2:

Pretty impressive stuff -- well-deserved praise for a cool lady who supports Rubicon radio usage. :) John has spent a lot of time supporting this effort, as well -- very cool to see a family's continued commitment to the vision of better communication on/near the Rubicon.

Dennis would be proud -- I know I am. :thumbsup:

Randii

Attachments

#22 ·
Yup, she won the regional award and was sent to represent the local AFA at the state awards dinner, where she picked up AFA's Teacher of the Year Award for the state of California.

Very impressive -- again, this is well-deserved praise for a cool lady who supports Rubicon radio usage. :)

When you see her, congratulate her! :cool2:

Randii

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.