Pirate 4x4 banner

pre runner tech

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Prerunneraz94 
#1 ·
Anybody out there run obstical courses? if so how do you get more travel out of the IFS?
Right now im running about 10" in the front and about 12" in the back.

#2 ·
The only person that comes to mind when talking about prerunners with Isuzus is Bob Land. Do a search out there on the web for him. (he also had developed some headers for the 3.2L Isuzu engine at one time).

-Rob

#4 ·
i bought the first 4 door trooper sold in the state of california back when they came out.

with the help of steve from cal mini i set it up for pre running.i was racing in class 16 at the time and could not afford a real prerunner so i used my daily driver.i pre ran all of the HDRA races including the mint 400 and all of the SCORE races including the baja 1000 in that rig. it was pretty cool cause i could also sleep in the back of it down in baja.

anyhow it was only mildly build by todays standards but i put thousands of brutal off road miles on it and it held up fairly well.

mods:

sway a way torsion bars
bilstien shocks
custom made ball joints
33 bfg's MT
custom roll cage
hella lights
weber carb
header

we reinforced a few points on the frame and a few brackets but other than that it was only mildly built.

#5 ·
mepr said:
Anybody out there run obstical courses? if so how do you get more travel out of the IFS?
Right now im running about 10" in the front and about 12" in the back.
can you go into what you currently have set up?

how you are getting those travel #'s

i've been kicking around some plans for tubular A-arms for the IFS trucks......so i'd be interested in your set up.

#6 ·
Bummer

Bob Land is no longer supported by Isuzu and after repeated e-mails to him I was finally given a link to a "garage"in Cali that is strickly Isuzu.I have e-mailed them many times with no response.It would be nice to get the better travel out of the IFS but the only true way is to swap it out.I'll see if I can dig up the "garage"link I was given.:beer:

#7 ·
well as far as the rear goes i pulled the overload spring and did a 2.5" shackle lift and chopped the bump stops. Then in the front i put new bushings in the strut bar mounts lifted it using the torsion bars (2") pulled the sway bar and chopped the bump stops. The early IFS Isuzus arent that hard to get travel out of, i was just hoping that someone out there made better A-arms.

#8 ·
is the truck a 2wd or 4wd?

what year truck are we talking about...there may be a couple other tricks you can try to tweak it. ;)

#9 ·
Its the 80 chevy luv in my sig. Its the same thing as an Isuzu KB (that was the model right before the pup, that i think was only availiable overseas. Inb 81 it became the pup)

#10 ·
Re: Bummer

Urban_Assault said:
Bob Land is no longer supported by Isuzu and after repeated e-mails to him I was finally given a link to a "garage"in Cali that is strickly Isuzu.I have e-mailed them many times with no response.It would be nice to get the better travel out of the IFS but the only true way is to swap it out.I'll see if I can dig up the "garage"link I was given.:beer:
Well, if you like, the guy that built all of his Isuzu baja racers is just around the corner from my office. Scott, the owner/fabricator, does amazing work. I enjoy stopping by his shop to see what new project he has going. He gets some very high end hot rods (mostly exhaust work), and open desert race vehicles.

On the Isuzus, he was given brand new stock vehicles, and built them to class rules. They werre campaigned for a year or two in a class where they were pretty much guaranteed a win. The owner of the Isuzus (was is Land?) then decided to get into a tougher class with some chevy hardware. Seems he has not even placed in a race since.

Suspension modifications for that class was limited, but he did get as much as he could out of the Amigo and Vehicrosses he built. As I recall, the front CV joints looked to be at a pretty nasty angle. When I asked about it, he said that they were going to be replaced after each race. Seems the plan worked as they never failed in a race, but were pretty much toast at the end of the race.

-Wayne

#11 ·
funny story about Land.......he actually called me about a year ago Looking to sell the "Pike's Peak" race winning Amigo.

it had a one off tight shifting trans built for racing up hill, full cage, one off headers for the 3.2L etc.....the red and green one.

he was looking sell it to me for 10K :eek: i think it was a '99 (IIRC)

anyway i was living in NYC and he was in CA....so would have been too difficult to deal w/ the sale.

could have been a cool platform to build off of ...........not sure where that truck ended up :(

#12 ·
Anyonemake kits for my truck

I have a 94 isuzu pickuo 2wd, ranchos sll around removed overload spring and cranked torsion bars a little, got 15 inch black aluminum wheels with goodyear wranglers 235/75/15"s, cut my bed got a reaching harness inside , prerunner front bumper, removed front away bar...i think that's it lol....so anyone have advice to get more travel? Thanks in advance:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.