Pirate 4x4 banner

massive oil filter leak

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  conwaymuddy 
#1 ·
Oil pissing out around the filter on my 454. Just did the rear main, got everything together and fired her up to check for leaks. Had no oil pressure so i killed the engine. Looked underneath and oil was pouring out around the filter. Cleaned everything up, pulled filter off, everything looks fine. Replace filter and tried again. Still pouring oil. Compared new filter to the old one, same brand same part number. Old one is concaved at the threaded end, new is domed. Holes are larger on the new filter. Any idea what the issue may be? Thanks for the help

#5 ·
He means, did the old one stick to the block when you took the old filter off...

check your other filter to see of the oring is there, or take your new one off and feel the mounting surface of the block for the old filter o ring.

#6 ·
Old filter still has the o-ring in it. Engine isnt set up for an oil cooler. May pick up another filter tonight and see what happens. The leaker threaded on fine by hand and snugged up. I dont know that its possible but would the trans being out of the truck have anything to do with it?

#10 ·
Engine came to me without the cooler setup. It needs one but funds are limited. Currently it has the adapter that bolts inside the recess in the block for the filter. Just got home and havent had a chance to look at it. Only leak it had before it was parked for winter was the rear main. Holes going around the filter are larger on the new one, ill measure both and post up later. Thanks for the help so far.

#11 ·
Check the o ring for a crack or defect. I ran Into an issue on a 7.3 PS. Did an oil change, put filter on and put oil in it. Cranked it up and 15seconds later it was pouring oil out. I took the filter off, checked for double o ring and nope. Wiped it off and cleaned it all up again and tried again. Same damn thing. Took the filter back and got a replacement. Put it on and good to go. What the problem was I may never know but I blame it on the o ring.

#12 ·
Measured the spacing of the holes around the filter and they were the same, just larger. Picked up a different filter and everything is fine. All bolts and plugs were tight. Dont know if i just got a junk filter or what. Did compare the two i have and there are some differences.
PN# MGL9100 Microgard
• Gasket Diameter (In): 3.110 Inch
• Gasket Thickness (In): 0.050 Inch
• Height (In): 5.090 Inch
• Outside Diameter (In): 3.660 Inch
• Subtype: Full-Flow Lube Spin-on
• Thread Size: 13/16-16 Inch

PN# PH5 Fram
• Gasket Diameter (In): 3.140 Inch
• Gasket Thickness (In): 0.250 Inch
• Height (In): 5.170 Inch
• Outside Diameter (In): 3.780 Inch
• Subtype: Full-Flow Lube Spin-on
• Thread Size: 13/16-16 Inch

#14 ·
Parts stores and selection are pretty limited where i now live. This was basically just an oil change due to changing the rear main and wanting to flush out the goop from sitting over winter. Either way the parts store warrantied the filter, refunded the money, and gave me 5 quarts of oil free. Thanks again for all the help.

#15 ·
you live in milwaukee wisconsin and they dont have a parts store? You have GOT to be kidding me.

I live in PODUNK, Oregon, where we have a napa 2 miles from my house.... next town over. There are only 7000 people in that town. one parts store...

maybe Im a bit off here, but Im willing to bet there are more and better filters close to you. If not, why not make a short drive? what value does an engine rebuild have for you? would you rather have a filter failure and have to rebuild, or drive far enough to get decent parts?

#16 ·
I was waiting for somebody to notice. Thats was 2 years ago, just never changed it. There is a napa near me but they are usually closed when i have time to get there. Beside that the place is about the size of a closet and has more tractor parts than auto stuff. i do agree a filter is better than a rebuild. But if the engine eats itself atleast id have a good reason to build something better, with a good oil filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.